Hairspray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Based on the 1988 John Waters’ cult classic, Hairspray is the story of Tracy Turnblad, a big girl with big hair and an even bigger heart, who has only one passion—dancing. When her dream of becoming a regular personality on “The Corny Collins Show” come true, she wins many fans and becomes an advocate for integration. (New Line Cinema)

This looks like, alternately, the most disturbing and amusing movie of 2007. :lol: I really have no idea what to say. It looked like such a trainwreck, but look at the reviews :eek:

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/hairspray2007
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hairspray/

My oh my, they make this sound like the Citizen Kane of overly-saccharine musicals-turned-films. :hmm:

Remember when John Travolta used to be cool, back in the 90's? You know, Vince Vega, Chili Palmer. WTF happened to that? I want my cool JT back. :mad:

It's a really fun, good movie. If you hate musicals, you'll hate the movie.

Edna Turnblad has always been played by a man in drag. Travolta and Walken were darling and funny as the old married couple - seriously!

The main actress was plucked out of nowhere to star in this, and she's amazing. A star is born!

It's bright, colorful, funny, but sharp, too. Maybe a bit cheesy at times, but much less cheesy than a lot of other musicals. But again, if musicals aren't your thing ... :shrug:

:giggle: My mom wants to rent this now. I'm not one to actually go to the theater (I will for the Simpsons movie), so the list of rentals is getting long. :|

There were a lot of younger kids in the audience when I saw it yesterday. I have no idea why parents thought kids younger than 10 would be remotely interested in it. They must have been bored out of their gourds, the poor things.

Maybe they heard Amanda Bynes and Zac Efron were in it, and thought, "Oh, Disney Channel stars! It must be something for the kids!"

LemonMelon, if your mom rents the only version available on DVD right now, she's in for a big shock - that would be the John Waters, pre-musical version. Quite different than this one. :wink:

Oh, and John Waters has a really brief, funny cameo at the beginning of the new version.

I saw the one with Ricki Lake as Tracy. I'm not a big fan of musicals, random occasions of breaking out into song lapses me into a coma. Maybe I'll stick with the Ricki version

LemonMelon said:

This looks like, alternately, the most disturbing and amusing movie of 2007. :lol: I really have no idea what to say. It looked like such a trainwreck, but look at the reviews :eek:

Do you know John Waters' work? Perhaps you're a bit young but his movies generally always become cult classics, not trainwrecks. This one is sure to have more mainstream appeal. He's wonderful.

Re: Re: Hairspray

joyfulgirl said:

Do you know John Waters' work? Perhaps you're a bit young but his movies generally always become cult classics, not trainwrecks. This one is sure to have more mainstream appeal. He's wonderful.

Mmm, yes I do know who he is, but I had no idea that's who came up with the concept for this film when I made this thread! :ohmy: Very interesting, and it does make me a bit more interested. :hmm:

Has anyone noticed that Hairspray is rated PG for teen smoking? :lol: Is this kind of thing new? This is the first time I've seen anything like that....

Is it REALLY? Holy shit. I remember hearing something recently about how there was a group trying to get smoking onto the list of things that might affect the ratings.

Unbefuckinglievable.

From the official website:

picturezk5.jpg

Insanity.

love_u2_adam said:

much music; when the cast was on mod. they clearly said "teen flick" now im not saying that older people don't go to them but they're based for a younger audience.

Umm wooow they called it a "teen flick"? Eww. It was a MUSICAL! Not some freakin' movie for twelve year olds to scream "OMG ZAC EFRON" every three seconds in! *goes into musical theatre rant* :rant:

the movie is a blast. :up: i recommend it. and see if you can't somehow manage to see it in a packed theater filled with teenaged theater freak girls, gay guys, and african-americans, because i did, and it made for a great collective viewing experience.

it's very funny, too.

The reason I like John Waters is that his movies are usually set in Baltimore (his hometown) and his characters are all quirky and interesting in a non-Hollywood sort of way. PLUS if you sit still for an hour on Aliceanna Street in Baltimore you can still those hairstyles going by.

John Waters was in the first Hairspray too.

All the reviews I've seen rave about everyone EXCEPT Travolta.
and a friend said no "Town without pity" which is a great song.

I saw the movie last night and it was so fun and so cute, I totally want to see the musical now because I get the feeling the energy is just through the roof live. Niki Blonsky is so adorable and Zac Efron is like the cutest thing ever.

lynnok said:
All the reviews I've seen rave about everyone EXCEPT Travolta.

he tries really hard to ruin the movie. but he's not quite able to do it. and his Baltimore accent hurt my ears, and i'm new to the Baltimore accent.

I loved it. Wasn't crazy about Travolta or the overdone accent, that was the only time it lost credibility for me was most of the time he was on screen :silent: - except for the Timeless number w/Walken. I did like that, it was sweet. Of course they didn't have them kiss for whatever reason

I've never seen the play but now I would like to.

Back
Top Bottom