Hair coloring tips please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justified

Refugee
:down: My hair is starting to show my age which means my lovely dark hair is graying and it is showing loads of it! It is enough to make me want to cry. :sad:

Anyhow, I need and want to start coloring my hair. But since my hair is naturally black, I am not sure what method(s) I should look at when doing my own hair coloring. Since my hair grows like a weed, I figured getting it done professionally is going to kill my bank account. So any advice or tips any of you ladies are willing to share, I will truly appreciate it.

*runs to toss a baseball cap on to cover my hair* :reject:

you could go to a stylist the first time to have it done and then discuss your options them. Then when you're ready to have it done again you'll be able to pick your color better. My hair is naturally black too but once I started coloring it I decided I liked it better brown. Right now it's brown with highlights that I hate so I need to have it done again. I actually can't really give you any tips about doing it yourself since my brother owns a salon and the only thing I have to pay for is the tip to the stylist doing my hair :reject: But I know they get asked that sort of stuff and will help you figure it all out.

That is true, I suppose I could always ask my stylist.

I would like to see my hair a lighter shade than black and with that I know I would have to get that professionally done.

I have only had my hair professionally colored once and that was to do chunky red highlights. that was interesting but very cool. :laugh:

Anyway, I would rather have highlights and a lighter shade than have salt and pepper hair! :angry:

Last edited:
i rarely color my hair anymore since im letting it grow out so that i can start over when i have a whole new head of hair and the old color is gone.

the only thing i can say is make sure you put vaseline over your skin like around your forehead so the dye dont color your skin for a few days.

good luck.

Yes, I would go to a salon the first time around, especially since you're covering gray. Gray hair is generally a little trickier to color--or, at least that's what I understand.

Coloring your hair actually isn't that expensive if you go with something fairly close to your natural color. Then when it grows out, you can go longer. And remember, dark roots are really in. :wink:

Highlighting might be an option too and you can go pretty long between those.

I am a hair colour junkie, both at salons- over the years when I have had the money, but a lot of time I have done it myself. I would suggest that if you are just wanting one colour in your hair, say a permanent 'black' or dark brown, then I would do it at home, I have found over the years that the Loreal products are the best and are usually not too expensive. However if you are wanting more than one colour, like foils or highlights, then I would definately go to a salon, unless you are a hairdresser, then it is almost impossible to do decent foils, streaks or multi colours yourself at home.

If your hair is naturally quite dark and you are just wanting to go over some grey, then you have one of the easiest home jobs to do. The darker your natural colour and if you are using a dark dye, then the dye will take quite easily- black goes over most colours and it gives a natural look. Grey mainly is hard to go over when you want to be blonde. I have died my hair dark shades heaps before, if you are wanting to go dark again, then you wont have to 'fill' your hair with a red base, say if you were going from light brown or blonde to black. If you want to go black, I would recommend not going for a 'blue black' as this colour can look a little un-natural at times, try a dark brown, even though it says 'brown' the colour in fact will be almost black and always put the colour on your roots first and if your hair is either thick or long, you may need to packs. And dont go for a semi-permanent, as the colour does not last that long and especially with dark colours, as they are washing out, you have to be so careful not to wear light colours so as not to stain your clothes. And with dark colours, always be sure to wear gloves and put vaseline all over your hair line- so you dont stain your skin....

hope this helps

:up: THANK YOU!

Right now I want to cover my grey and keep my dark hair. After I color my hair how long do I have to wait until I can wash it?

I would definitely do it at home if you have dark hair that's just one solid colour (and since your hair is short now it'll be easy to get the dye even).

well thank god i colored my hair tonight. i believe my hair would have turned a full shade of gray after the news i was just told.

thanks for the advice all. good news, the gray is covered up.

As for washing your hair, you can wash it the very next day if you like, but I tend to leave it at least one, to give it a break.

Congratulations on colouring your hair.

Make sure you use shampoo and conditioners that are meant for colour treated hair. Some shampoos will actually strip the colour from your hair and make it fade out faster. With you hair being chemically treated it may dry out faster than before. Remember to wear a hat in the sun.

Yes, definitely!

Artec shampoos are good, and they have ones in colors--blonde, red, etc. I also like the Claypac shampoos. They're a little pricey, but they make your color last a long time and put your hair in great condition.

Pureology, the vegan shampoo of the stars, is really nice stuff too but definitely pricier than the others. It does seem to last a long time though...

Good for you. I had to douse mine too :yes: I never dyed my hair in my life but when I saw the first grey hairs they had to go! Fuck growing old gracefully! :tongue: ;)

fah said:
Congratulations on colouring your hair.

Make sure you use shampoo and conditioners that are meant for colour treated hair. Some shampoos will actually strip the colour from your hair and make it fade out faster. With you hair being chemically treated it may dry out faster than before. Remember to wear a hat in the sun.

I bought the shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair last night. :D

My coworkers said I did a great job on coloring my hair *this coming from several who color their hair often* I suppose it is easy to dye black hair black. :D All I know is that it looks like my old color before it was turning grey. :up:

:up:

I think I'm going to colour my hair before my wedding, but I'll have to pay to get it done professionally because my hair's too long to do it myself or even with someone's help without missing parts of it or making a HUGE mess. :slant:

Back
Top Bottom