Hail To The Thief is a very disappointing Radiohead album - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Layton

Sorry, I'm going to be the U2 sychophant and take umbrage with that statement. Radiohead has never really had a truly mainstream-oriented fanbase to fuck up and abuse. U2's mainstream credentials became huge in the late '80's. RH has never come close to those kind of mainstream credentials.
i agree with this.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:04 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Perhaps Radiohead wasn't as mainstream or popular as U2 (there's not many bands that are), but there's a LOT of people who bought OK Computer that wouldn't have normally been into the band. And after that album, they had the entire music world waiting with bated breath for their next release. Had they put out something akin to The Bends they would have become a lot bigger. Maybe not Coldplay, but as popular as a band with actual balls could get.

You're all forgetting that even though Kid A debuted at #1 (on a low-selling week, mind you) and moved a lot of units, there were just as many confused and disappointed people as there were impressed ones. So I don't see how my statement is a false one. Perhaps you may not think they fucked up "the mainstream", but alternative music was a lot more acceptable and on the charts then when U2 pulled their fast one in the early 90's. Radiohead definitely abused the position they were in back in 1997, even if it wasn't as high of a vantage point. They upped the ante on what alternative music could be, what a rock band could be.

I agree that U2's move was certainly more daring. Kid A is (to me, at least) a natural extrapolation of where Radiohead was going based on The Bends-->OK Computer. My point was that U2's "fucking up" lasted about 4 years. Radiohead after 8 years is still confounding expectations and not going through the motions.

And the next album will bear that out, mark my words.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Okay.... so I bought Hail To The Thief... the special edition! I might add At first listen, I wasn't too impressed and couldn't wait till There There showed up. So by the end of it, I was thinking.. eh, Kid A is better, heck! even Amnesiac is better. But then after the second listen... I liked it a lot more! Backdrifts has been in my head all day. Love the 1-2 punch of 2+2=5 and sit down, stand up. Sail is gorgeously ghostly, very Floydian and seems to be the How To Disappear Completely and You And Whose Army of this album. Backdrifts is groovy, catchy and very addictive! Go To Sleep & Where I End are cool, esp. the latter with the amazing bass line and... 'I will eat you alive'. which leads me to We Suck... lol. it's pretty bad I admit but I can still kinda listen to it and appreciate the drama if I'm in the right mood. Lemme put it this way... 'Mother' by The Police is a lot worse and more painful to listen to! Haven't yet gotten into the Gloaming. There There is perfection!!! The opening tone, the haunting drums, the build-up, the lyrics.. Top 5 track! I Will is alright, not bad. Punch up is cool. Love Myxomatosis!!! Like somebody on amazon said, it sounds like a zipper orchestra! The last 2 tracks I'm yet to really get into.

But overall, it's not bad at all. In fact the album has got it's own identity and doesn't sound like a washed out Kid A at all!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:28 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

But overall, it's not bad at all. In fact the album has got it's own identity and doesn't sound like a washed out Kid A at all!

I love the description of Myxomatosis being like a zipper orchestra...

That song sounds extra cool through earphones.

Extra zippy as well...
Old 10-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

The line in There There that goes.. 'Heaven sent you to me, to me...' I always thought it was 'We are centuries too late, too late...'. And I think my line not only sounds better, it fits better and actually expresses a kind of panic that suits Radiohead very well.

Oh... and I absolutely love this album, been listening to it for 2 days straight! Every song is interesting... well, except for maybe We Suck which is quite dreary.. but I can still kinda sit thru it.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:41 AM   #51
War Child

Local Time: 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
The line in There There that goes.. 'Heaven sent you to me, to me...' I always thought it was 'We are centuries too late, too late...'. And I think my line not only sounds better, it fits better and actually expresses a kind of panic that suits Radiohead very well.

Oh... and I absolutely love this album, been listening to it for 2 days straight! Every song is interesting... well, except for maybe We Suck which is quite dreary.. but I can still kinda sit thru it.
I have exactly the same thing with There There, my favourite song from that album - admittedly, I have a tendancy of doing that to a few songs, but that was/is one of the most obvious cases.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #52
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:15 AM
whats wrong with "we suck young blood'? Too close to the bone ?
Its brilliant and, fuck, i would rather listen to it 100 times than have to watch some stupid 'reality' search for a 'star' moron who doesnt realise being voted off is a good thing not a bad thing and shit listen to the lyrics and.....maaaan i could go on
Old 10-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Disappointing is certainly the word for it. I still think it's a solid album, though; it just reeks of filler.

Good call...

Although the imbalance of the styles and sounds reminds me of the White Album in some ways.

Some songs in my opinion seem fragmented and unfinished (I Will/We Suck Young Blood) whilst others just seem positionally out of place (Sit Down Shut Up/Sail to the Moon/Backdrifts/Go to Sleep/Where I End/We Suck/Gloaming).

Nevertheless, there are some fine individual creations on here, and every song has it's merits.

Personal faves include: Myxamatosis, Where I End, Gloaming,
Old 10-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by reptile
I havnt read all of the replys to this thread, but i will start my response by stating that i think 'Pablo honey' and 'The Bends' are just warm-up albums......i dont need to defend my opinion of 'Pablo' ( 3 maybe 4 good songs) but it always amazes me how wrapped up in 'The Bends' everybody is. I think it contains some stunning songs, but is not consistent as an album.
I dont think they have really set a foot wrong since! OK and KId A are my faves closly followed by "Hail" which contains everything that is good about the band

Another great call here....I totally agree...

The Bends IS a warm up album, it's good, but i find it hardly a classic....messed up track order too. Gimme Oasis' (What's the Story) Morning Glory anyday.

OkC and KidA are something else altogether. Both are at least 10 times better than The Bends....
Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:45 PM
It was a pretty good album, definetly worth picking up. But I didn't think it was anything special.

After Bends and OK, I was a Radiohead fan. After KIDA, I was a really big one, I thought that album was genius.

But they went too far with Amnesiac, I kept trying to get into it (still do to this day), and keep saying to myself "what is this?"

They've kind of lost me with their last two releases but can't wait for the next one still. HTTT did have some great songs on it, but like someone else mentioned, a lot of filler.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #56
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

The Bends IS a warm up album, it's good, but i find it hardly a classic....messed up track order too. Gimme Oasis' (What's the Story) Morning Glory anyday.

OkC and KidA are something else altogether. Both are at least 10 times better than The Bends....
Hey somebody agrees with me! Thats a first!

OKc&KidA....i think u r right...cant beat 'em
just watched (film version) of Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy last night. Glad to hear they left in the 'Ok Computer' line......

i stil think Hail is much better than most people here seem to think.....
Old 10-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

I will eat you all alive
I will eat you all alive
I will eat you all alive
I will eat you all alive
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
I will eat you all alive
I will eat you all alive
I will eat you all alive
I will eat you all alive
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
There'll be no more lies
I will eat you all alive.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

Ha! Oasis in a million years couldn't put together a song as brilliant as Fake Plastic Trees. Or Bulletproof. Or High and Dry. Or Street Spirit.

Instead you get overdone Beatles wannabes like Champagne Supernova. Give me a fucking break. And yeah, Wonderwall is a great song but the difference between that and the above-mentioned Radiohead songs is SUBSTANCE and transcendence. Something The Beatles knew about but Oasis can only imitate emptily.

OK Computer and Kid A may be superior in terms of ambition and execution, but 10x better than The Bends? I don't think so. The songs, man, the songs...

I will agree, however, with your assessment of HTTT's incoherency and disjointedness. The comparison to The White Album is apt, and has been made before. Don't forget though, it's considered by many to be one of The Beatles' best works (and the favorite of many, including myself), despite tracks like Wild Honey Pie, Honey Pie, Savoy Truffle. It's the willingness to dive into so many different styles and create all these unique sounds that is the accomplishment. Look for more focus on Radiohead's next album, but remember when The Beatles did the same thing we got...Let it Be, which is subpar at best.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Ha! Oasis in a million years couldn't put together a song as brilliant as Fake Plastic Trees. Or Bulletproof. Or High and Dry. Or Street Spirit.

OK Computer and Kid A may be superior in terms of ambition and execution, but 10x better than The Bends? I don't think so. The songs, man, the songs...
Totally agree!

Even though I love Oasis' Morning Glory, the Bends is on a different level altogether! You're right, it's the songs! Every song is gold, every fucking song!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:18 AM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 08:45 AM
yeh pretty poor effort

their new song they have started to carve a cliche of themselves:

ie a bunch of old miseryguts

Tags
hail to the thief, radiohead