Hail To The Thief is a very disappointing Radiohead album - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Oh, Zooters, did you get my email?
Nope.

Old 10-01-2005, 01:43 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
All I can say to this thread is...

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I couldn't have said it better, myself!!! Perfect.

I love Hail to the Thief very, very, very much, personally; still, I'm pretty interested in understanding what people who don't like it so much have to say. I hope that people keep posting, because the dislike, so to speak, is something I don't yet understand.

Easily my favorite band in the world, but I think there's plenty to criticize about this album ("We Suck Young Blood," anybody...?) and most of their others, too. I'm intrigued to see if anybody (aside from those who already have) actually has anything meaningful or constructive to say... Enlighten me, my friends!!!

Old 10-01-2005, 01:52 AM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 09:16 AM
Indeed, constructive criticism is really the point of this thread.

I personally sometimes feel that I'm not authorized to criticize the latter albums because I've always been more of a Bends /Computer kind of guy that is somewhat fond of Kid A and about half of Amnesiac.

Now.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:59 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Amnesiac is brilliant.

HTTT is brilliant. 2+2=5, Sail To The Moon, Backdrifts, Where I End And You Begin, There There, I Will, Punchup At A Wedding, Myxamatosis, Scatterbrain, A Wolf At The Door

RH Album Rankings:

#1: Kid A
#2: TIE: OKC/HTTT
#3: Amnesiac
#4: The Bends
#5: Pablo Honey

That could change any minute though. It's all brilliant, really.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:10 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 05:16 PM
better than amnesiac? no way. httt has two absolute classics (2+2=5, there there) a few rather good songs (the gloaming, backdrifts, sail to the moon, sit down/stand up) and then a whole bunch of songs that are completely forgettable.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:39 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:16 AM
how many radiohead threads can we have talking about the same thing?

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the similarities between Punch-Up At A Wedding and Eminence Front by The Who. Similar beat, similar keyboard/sequencer sound. And for that alone it's awesome.

Why does every song have to "go somewhere"? Is there something wrong with finding a groove and just hanging out? Clearly Radiohead aren't slaves to the verse-chorus-verse structure of pop music, so why complain when they don't follow it? The song has 15 goddamned songs; something different isn't a bad idea.

There is more genius contained on this album than any other in the last 5 years, regardless of whether or not it's cohesive. It's not often that you can put on headphones and be totally transported to all these different soundscapes in an hour's time. It's a fucking PRIVILEGE to listen to this album.

You should all be licking the shit off their shoes.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:24 AM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Why does every song have to "go somewhere"?
They don't. "I Might Be Wrong" doesn't go anywhere, and it's awesome. "Knives Out" doesn't go anywhere, and it sucks. It just depends.

When half the album is totally aimless synth jiggery-pokery, it gets old. You have to go somewhere eventually. "Treefingers" is pretty insubstantial on its own, but sandwiched between "How To Disappear Completely" and "Optimistic," it's exactly what the album needs and when it needs it. Whereas the stretch between "Go To Sleep" to "There, There" is painful.
Quote:
The song has 15 goddamned songs; something different isn't a bad idea.
It didn't need 15 goddamned songs. Kid A only had ten, and it was better for it. They obviously could've put many more on it (they had enough left over for Amnesiac and some B-sides), but they didn't because they wanted the album to make a succinct artistic statement.

If they were that desperate to get these songs out there, they could've made them freaking B-sides or something; it's not like they haven't done it for better songs (like "Cuttooth" and "Fog," which are better than anything on Thief yet missed not one but two albums). And God knows the actual Hail B-sides were even worse, so it's not like they couldn't have bumped those off to make room.

And honestly, there's nothing on Thief that's that different, which is probably the main reason so many people found it so disappointing (I don't hold that against it, though; I'm not one to get hung up on how clever or "innovative" my music is, probably because I realize, when you get down to it, it's all pretty similar in structure, some bands just dress it up more).
Quote:
There is more genius contained on this album than any other in the last 5 years, regardless of whether or not it's cohesive. It's not often that you can put on headphones and be totally transported to all these different soundscapes in an hour's time. It's a fucking PRIVILEGE to listen to this album.

You should all be licking the shit off their shoes.
Suffering through a ton of incoherence just for a few glimpses of brilliance is something I expect from a bootleg of demos, not a major album release. On an album without any major standouts, like this one, coherency is everything.

That said, Thief isn't that bad, but honestly, the raving fanboys here don't have much of an argument besides, "but...it's Radiohead!" What exactly is so bleeding brilliant about this album that it makes all its flaws irrelevant? All your gushing just makes you sound extremely forgiving.

Even Beatles fans (apparently the most overrated band ever, according to people who haven't heard of Radiohead) admit they released some garbage. It's a rare thing to hear a Radiohead fan concede they've done anything less than shit-lickingly good since The Bends (I fully anticipate someone to attack me for deriding the Hail B-sides).
Old 10-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

There There is soooo good, so haunting!!!

Weeeeeee aaaaaaare aaaaaaaaaaccidents waitiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing waitiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing to haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappen

Old 10-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 12:16 PM
It was good but not fantastic. I can't really say I'm a big Radiohead fan anymore. They used to be in my top 5. I really dug Pablo Honey and The Bends and still dig them very much. O.K. Computer is amazing when I'm in the right mood, Kid A is a good ambient/electro album but not great, Amnesiac was a bit better and Hail was good. I don't know. I guess I'm just not a big fan of Post O.K. Computer Radiohead material. I wish the'd go back to writing songs with melody. Material that showcased Yorke's vocals. I'd rank Radiohead's albums in the following order:

1. The Bends
2. Pablo Honey
3. O.K. Computer
4. Amnesiac
5. Kid A / Hail to the Theif (TIE)

It's a significant drop off in appeal for me though after O.K.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:46 PM
HTTT has no really weak track

the gloaming gets better with every listen...
I can't find fault
and i suggest you listen to it more
Old 10-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

Whereas the stretch between "Go To Sleep" to "There, There" is painful.

I can understand how many don't like We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming (I like them) but Where I End and You Begin is absolutely brilliant. Just about the perfect mix of rock and electronica.

"I Will Eat You Alive"
Old 10-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Nope.

I sent it again. Did you get it?
Old 10-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap
HTTT has no really weak track

ALL HAIL TO THE THIEF ALL HAIL TO THE THIEF.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I sent it again. Did you get it?
Yes!!!

Oh my god.. thank you!

Old 10-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life