Haiku Valley Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

Funny how funk isn't very funky.

I can't believe Prince constitutes funk. I think of him as pop. Very shitty and all too often sleazy pop.

Real funk is Curtis Mayfield, Parliament, Funkadelic, Isaac Hayes, James Brown, Ohio Players, and so on. But Prince fits the bill on occasion.

For a rap/hip-hop song, it's produced pretty well. At least for one in the popular sphere.

You could just about be forgiven for thinking Kanye is the sample in this track.

Axver said:
Hey, Kanye West, stop relying on samples to try to hide the fact you are really crap.

I'm listening right along with you and can hear the vain in your head swelling.

LMP, why oh why did you use the edited version of I Wonder? Jeez...

LemonMelon said:

I'm listening right along with you and can hear the vain in your head swelling.

LMP, why oh why did you use the edited version of I Wonder? Jeez...

Because I only have the edited copy. Should've bought it without the Mom right there.

the I Wonder--->Punch Drunk transition is amusing if you know the history between Kanye and Jon Brion.

Good segue into the Jon Brion track, which in turn leads well into the Blur song.

I hope this Blur song is better than the really boring one in Lemonchick/Irishteen's list.

Axver said:
Good segue into the Jon Brion track, which in turn leads well into the Blur song.

I hope this Blur song is better than the really boring one in Lemonchick/Irishteen's list.

Tender goes on far too long, I will concede.

This version of To The End bothers me. I must hate French people.

LemonMelon said:

I think it masks some of the trite lyrics of the original version. I love that one, too, but I think that this one is better.

LemonMelon said:

The French is interesting. This is better than Tender. Beforehand, I only knew Blur for Song 2 and neither of these tracks are anything like that.

Song 2's an anomaly in their catalogue, but it's probably their most popular song. Weird.

LemonMelon said:

He's been producing his work for years. Nothing particularly scandalous. That I know of.

Oh, the way you said it, I expected "Kanye West accidentally ran over Jon Brion's dog. And by accidentally, I mean repeatedly, and by dog, I mean son."

LemonMacPhisto said:
Song 2's an anomaly in their catalogue, but it's probably their most popular song. Weird.

I sort of liked To The End. Is the tracklist getting better? :ohmy:

Axver said:

Oh, the way you said it, I expected "Kanye West accidentally ran over Jon Brion's dog. And by accidentally, I mean repeatedly, and by dog, I mean son."

Oh, you know my weakness for Lionel Hutz. Now I'm positively giddy. :happy:

Just in time for Miles Davis...

Axver said:

I sort of liked To The End. Is the tracklist getting better? :ohmy:

With Flaming Lips, LCD Soundsystem, and Arcade Fire all approaching, of course!

Wait, you mean for you. :uhoh:

LemonMelon said:

Oh, you know my weakness for Lionel Hutz. Now I'm positively giddy. :happy:

Just in time for Miles Davis...

:lol: I knew you'd appreciate that.

This part of the tracklist seems to be flowing well. Though 2 minutes into the Miles Davis track and it's not doing much for me.

Axver said:

:lol: I knew you'd appreciate that.

This part of the tracklist seems to be flowing well. Though 2 minutes into the Miles Davis track and it's not doing much for me.

It's a great chill-down at nighttime track. I love putting my head against the window of a car and watching everything go by while this is playing.

Axver said:

Yeah, WTF. Needs more Nelly or something.

Is it getting hot in here?

LemonMelon said:

With Flaming Lips, LCD Soundsystem, and Arcade Fire all approaching, of course!

Wait, you mean for you. :uhoh:

:laugh: Well, I haven't really listened to either of the Flaming Lips or LCD Soundsystem. Though I've heard a bit of the former and they seem over-rated just from that. And I hate their name.

Well, now that it's done, the Miles Davis track isn't bad. Perhaps it'd grow on me. It just wasn't too engaging.

I think I agree with LM about the segue out of it. It initially seems to work, but ... then I'm not so sure as it goes on.

Axver said:

:laugh: Well, I haven't really listened to either of the Flaming Lips or LCD Soundsystem. Though I've heard a bit of the former and they seem over-rated just from that. And I hate their name.

:lol: I've got to ask, is my flow criticism of My Ship--->Bad Days justified? I'm a sequencing nerd, but you're like a sensei or something.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read your post above.

Now I'm doubly screwed. Even if that one didn't work, it helped me set up the other transitions around it. So that's nice.

LemonMelon said:
BTW, I'm really looking forward to our match, LMP. I think our playlists match up very well.

Me too. There will be blood, L-Mel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom