Haiku Valley Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phanan said:

Believe me, I know. I certainly didn't want to be in Group 4.

But I pulled names out of a hat, to eliminate any bias. I thought that was the most fair.

Oh, OK. I honestly thought you were joking with the hat thing before. :lol: That explains it. Then I blame gravity causing the pieces of paper to fall into the hat the way they did. :tongue:

I don't see group four as exceptionally bad myself. :shrug:

By the way, who's in the next rounds? LM, obviously. If I don't have the tracklists of the others yet, I'll download them overnight.

Axver said:
I don't see group four as exceptionally bad myself. :shrug:

By the way, who's in the next rounds? LM, obviously. If I don't have the tracklists of the others yet, I'll download them overnight.

LM/Phanan
Irishteen-Lemonchick/LMP

Or, whatever Phanan just said above. :wink:

phanan said:

There would probably be only three or four of us who'd be involved, unfortunately.

Yeah. It'd probably be just you and I for some of the early stuff, then a few others would come along for various albums.

Bit of a pain for me, because I really enjoy these Survivor tournaments but it looks like we're moving onto bands I'm not into. I know some Bowie but not that much. And Led Zep, I couldn't give two hoots.

Axver said:

Yeah. It'd probably be just you and I for some of the early stuff, then a few others would come along for various albums.

Bit of a pain for me, because I really enjoy these Survivor tournaments but it looks like we're moving onto bands I'm not into. I know some Bowie but not that much. And Led Zep, I couldn't give two hoots.

Yeah, I'm not really into Bowie that much, so I won't be involved with that one.

Led Zep, on the other hand, I would most certainly do.

phanan said:
Today's matches are:

Irishteen/Lemonchick vs. LMP
LM vs. me

Then we'll take a break over the weekend so people can listen to some more stuff.

Righto. I don't have Irishteen/Lemonchick or LMP, so I'll download those overnight.

Which will be soon, because it's 2:15am here and I'm just about drifting off at the computer.

Axver said:

Yeah, you must have enjoyed the constant bickering and inflammatory speech in the Radiohead survivor, even if you hated the music. :lol:

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, you must have enjoyed the constant bickering and inflammatory speech in the Radiohead survivor, even if you hated the music. :lol:

:lol: No, I didn't pay it that much attention. Looked in now and then and a few threads brought the lulz. Is it done? If it's had its finals, I've honestly missed them.

LemonMelon said:

What the hell happened with the Radiohead one, anyway?

namkcuR sometimes goes long stretches between rounds, which kinda makes it tough to stay interested. I pretty much gave up on it.

phanan said:

Yeah, I'm not really into Bowie that much, so I won't be involved with that one.

Led Zep, on the other hand, I would most certainly do.

PFan and COBL_04 are trying their best to get me into Bowie. I'll vote on the albums I know, which are Low and Station To Station and maybe Ziggy Stardust but I didn't like it enough to listen a third time.

I am disappointed that it seems we're going to do Led Zep next rather than REM. Maybe I'll dig up the one or two Led Zep albums I downloaded to see if my opinion's changed at all. But REM would've been awesome and had plenty of participation.

Axver said:

:lol: No, I didn't pay it that much attention. Looked in now and then and a few threads brought the lulz. Is it done? If it's had its finals, I've honestly missed them.

We're in the b-side draws still, but there was a thread that received NO replies. I mean, damn. Anyway, I may take over for Nam, but only if it seems as if he's given up on it completely.

Axver said:

PFan and COBL_04 are trying their best to get me into Bowie. I'll vote on the albums I know, which are Low and Station To Station and maybe Ziggy Stardust but I didn't like it enough to listen a third time.

I am disappointed that it seems we're going to do Led Zep next rather than REM. Maybe I'll dig up the one or two Led Zep albums I downloaded to see if my opinion's changed at all. But REM would've been awesome and had plenty of participation.

Zep wouldn't take that long - only 9 albums plus some obscure stuff.

I'd definitely be up for REM when that happens.

REM definitely would do well.

LemonMelon said:

It would give me incentive to download more of their music, however.

This is the thing that almost makes me think a PT Survivor would be worth it. I know there are 4-5 of us who'd vote on every album, and various other people who have at least SOME albums and would be motivated to check out more by such a tournament.

Sure, it'd be low-key and we'd probably work out some quick, efficient format to avoid having a bazillion rounds, but it'd be fun.

LemonMelon said:

We're in the b-side draws still, but there was a thread that received NO replies. I mean, damn. Anyway, I may take over for Nam, but only if it seems as if he's given up on it completely.

Wow. I thought people actually gave a shit about Radiohead's b-sides? I know a few of them have been pushed on me in the past.

Axver said:

Wow. I thought people actually gave a shit about Radiohead's b-sides? I know a few of them have been pushed on me in the past.

I think was Phanan said earlier is accurate...it's not run consistently enough to keep the attention of the voters. No one knows what the hell is going on anymore.

phanan said:

Zep wouldn't take that long - only 9 albums plus some obscure stuff.

I'd definitely be up for REM when that happens.

REM definitely would do well.

I have all of REM's eighties albums, but beyond then, I just have Automatic For The People, Monster, and a few assorted MP3s. An REM Survivor would be all the incentive I need to finally get my act together and acquire the remainder of their discography.

Axver said:

This is the thing that almost makes me think a PT Survivor would be worth it. I know there are 4-5 of us who'd vote on every album, and various other people who have at least SOME albums and would be motivated to check out more by such a tournament.

Sure, it'd be low-key and we'd probably work out some quick, efficient format to avoid having a bazillion rounds, but it'd be fun.

You're right. As Prog Island encouraged folks to step into some new, if uncomfortable shoes, it could be an efficient means of attracting attention to the band, and they're a good one.

LemonMelon said:

You're right. As Prog Island encouraged folks to step into some new, if uncomfortable shoes, it could be an efficient means of attracting attention to the band, and they're a good one.

:hmm:

Definitely something to consider down the road, perhaps.

This is bad and probably of no use, but I am currently thinking of a format to do a PT Survivor in a quick way. The Bowie Survivor is providing inspiration.

Basically, for PT, you could have ten categories:

- On The Sunday Of Life
- Up The Downstair
- The Sky Moves Sideways
- Signify
- Stupid Dream
- Lightbulb Sun
- Recordings
- In Absentia
- Deadwing
- Fear Of A Blank Planet
- Non-album (Staircase Infinities, Nil Recurring, other rarities)

Send 3 songs from each through to the semi-finals; use the Bowie system of voting for your favourites so it's only 3 rounds per album. Perhaps due to their relative unpopularity, OTSOL and UTD only send two songs and IA and ... Stupid Dream? Deadwing? send four.

Semi-finals are two groups of 15. Again, Bowie system; this time top five from each.

Final is a group of 10. Proceeds as per normal Survivor elimination until one song is left.

There's a spur-of-the-moment idea. I know it wouldn't be used for ages, especially as I lack the premium powers to start it myself. But I thought I'd toss it around because it's 2:40am and I've nothing better to do.

LemonMelon said:
Led Zeppelin survivor is up.

And I don't have that album, nor much interest in hearing it, to be honest.

Can't remember the albums I've got now. Looking on RYM, II is definitely one of them. Maybe the other's Physical Graffiti ...

Axver said:
Basically, for PT, you could have ten categories:

- On The Sunday Of Life
- Up The Downstair
- The Sky Moves Sideways
- Signify
- Stupid Dream
- Lightbulb Sun
- Recordings
- In Absentia
- Deadwing
- Fear Of A Blank Planet
- Non-album (Staircase Infinities, Nil Recurring, other rarities)

Send 3 songs from each through to the semi-finals; use the Bowie system of voting for your favourites so it's only 3 rounds per album. Perhaps due to their relative unpopularity, OTSOL and UTD only send two songs and IA and ... Stupid Dream? Deadwing? send four.

Semi-finals are two groups of 15. Again, Bowie system; this time top five from each.

Final is a group of 10. Proceeds as per normal Survivor elimination until one song is left.

There's a spur-of-the-moment idea. I know it wouldn't be used for ages, especially as I lack the premium powers to start it myself. But I thought I'd toss it around because it's 2:40am and I've nothing better to do.

I agree that certain albums should have less represented and others more, based on their popularity.

Interesting idea. We'll have to revisit it at the right time.

Axver said:

And I don't have that album, nor much interest in hearing it, to be honest.

Can't remember the albums I've got now. Looking on RYM, II is definitely one of them. Maybe the other's Physical Graffiti ...

Houses Of The Holy is by far their most creative and experimental. IV probably their most consistent. II is a good example of their bluesier side, but I wouldn't call it their best. Physical Graffiti is a mixed bag for me.

phanan said:

I agree that certain albums should have less represented and others more, based on their popularity.

Interesting idea. We'll have to revisit it at the right time.

The right time=after Axver's uploaded everything and everyone's had a chance to listen. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Houses Of The Holy is by far their most creative and experimental. IV probably their most consistent. II is a good example of their bluesier side, but I wouldn't call it their best. Physical Graffiti is a mixed bag for me.

Houses Of The Holy FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom