Hafnarfjörður, Iceland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dani and Emma, do you like non-fiction books?

Because I'm wondering if you will feel the same way as I about something. :hmm:

For me it depends on the subject material; it has to be really rather interesting, or something I'm a particular fan of, for me to bother with a non-fiction book. But I do love essays, especially written by people I like.

The KKK here has said, if Obama is elected next president, they will "do anything they can" to take him down. And they are referring to assasination. Why is this group even around still???? :|

Oh my god :| They sound like our 'BNP' party (who are constantly putting nail bombs through Muslim/Polish people's doors etc) ...but much, much worse.

The KKK here has said, if Obama is elected next president, they will "do anything they can" to take him down. And they are referring to assasination. Why is this group even around still???? :|

lucky Conspiracy to Commit Murder isn't a crime...oh wait it is...so why are they allowed on the streets?

For me it depends on the subject material; it has to be really rather interesting, or something I'm a particular fan of, for me to bother with a non-fiction book. But I do love essays, especially written by people I like.

Same here. :up: I was reading This Is Your Brain On Music before I started classes but I haven't been able to read it since school started because of the insane amount of school related reading I have to do, I'll probably have to wait until Christmas to finish it :lol:.

I ask because I'm not a fan of non-fiction especially about people because most people honestly aren't that interesting. :lol: However, sometimes reading about someone in the arts is almost as good as their own writing or work because they are sometimes the most interesting characters of all. The artist are sometimes themselves a work of art. What do you think?

Oh my god :| They sound like our 'BNP' party (who are constantly putting nail bombs through Muslim/Polish people's doors etc) ...but much, much worse.

Much worse, yeah. They want white supremacy and want to bring the country "back to what it was" - a white Christian America. Quick thought: the country didn't belong to white Christians in the first place.... :|

lucky Conspiracy to Commit Murder isn't a crime...oh wait it is...so why are they allowed on the streets?

They are still strong down in the south.... and news reports of their crimes, which include burning down black people's houses and random killings on the streets of anyone who isn't "white" are commonplace.

I ask because I'm not a fan of non-fiction especially about people because most people honestly aren't that interesting. :lol: However, sometimes reading about someone in the arts is almost as good as their own writing or work because they are sometimes the most interesting characters of all. The artist are sometimes themselves a work of art. What do you think?

Biographies/auto-biographies only tend to be interesting if you happen to be a big fan of the person before reading the book. I don't know, I think knowing too much about an 'artist' can tar your opinion of them. That certainly happened with me when I read a book written by Ian Curtis' wife. I just can't listen to Joy Division in the same way anymore. As far as I'm concerned, he wasn't ever an artist in the true sense of the word at all. I wish I hadn't had my illusions shattered!

Much worse, yeah. They want white supremacy and want to bring the country "back to what it was" - a white Christian America. Quick thought: the country didn't belong to white Christians in the first place.... :|

Just goes to show there are narrow minded bigots all over the world, you're never going to be rid of them. I just don't understand how people can be so full of hate... especially towards people THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW. Surely having such strong feelings of hate towards something/someone is just as bad for you as it is them...?

Just goes to show there are narrow minded bigots all over the world, you're never going to be rid of them. I just don't understand how people can be so full of hate... especially towards people THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW. Surely having such strong feelings of hate towards something/someone is just as bad for you as it is them...?

If you look them on Wikipedia or even go to their website ( :yikes: ) it's a terrifying thing. The strong feelings stem from apparently the surges in immigration in the country by "non-white creatures". But... didn't the people from Europe emigrate here too? Isn't that how the bloody Klan was formed in the first place? They just hate anyone who isn't white. Even the name "Black" is bad for them. If you're white and your surname is "Black" or "Brown" then odds are that, they'd make you change it if they live around your area. :|

On a lighter note Wayne wants to know if your Mum is done with the phone? :D

Yes, Zee? :)

Hello :) Just wanted to say hi :D

Biographies/auto-biographies only tend to be interesting if you happen to be a big fan of the person before reading the book. I don't know, I think knowing too much about an 'artist' can tar your opinion of them. That certainly happened with me when I read a book written by Ian Curtis' wife. I just can't listen to Joy Division in the same way anymore. As far as I'm concerned, he wasn't ever an artist in the true sense of the word at all. I wish I hadn't had my illusions shattered!

That's too bad. I don't like to have the illusions shattered either but sometimes you gain more respect and inspiration the more you know about a person. Thanks for your perspective. I really enjoy hearing everyone's opinions on different thing. :)

The more I read and hear about men, the more I wish I was gay. But then Wayne helps me not to think that way too often :D

If you look them on Wikipedia or even go to their website ( :yikes: ) it's a terrifying thing. The strong feelings stem from apparently the surges in immigration in the country by "non-white creatures". But... didn't the people from Europe emigrate here too? Isn't that how the bloody Klan was formed in the first place? They just hate anyone who isn't white. Even the name "Black" is bad for them. If you're white and your surname is "Black" or "Brown" then odds are that, they'd make you change it if they live around your area. :|

On a lighter note Wayne wants to know if your Mum is done with the phone? :D

Exactly - America is made up of European immigrants anyway :shrug: It's just a lack of common sense (...thats an understatement, I know) and a desperation to hate someone. We have idiots like that over here, Xenophobes just make me so unbelievably angry.

That was quite a topic change :wink: I don't think she has Wayne - i just got shouted at for going in and telling her to hurry up :lol: Role reversal? :hmm:

The thread on gay marriage is good for some bigoted comments too guys....

I'm not even going to bother looking in there :down:

The more I read and hear about men, the more I wish I was gay. But then Wayne helps me not to think that way too often :D

There are so many idiotic women out there too though... just look at Sarah Palin! She hates women just as much as a lot of men do!

I'm not even going to bother looking in there :down:

There are so many idiotic women out there too though... just look at Sarah Palin! She hates women just as much as a lot of men do!

It's mostly just one person against everyone else; and that one person is a crazy bigot

but women are against Palin because she's hot; some guy said it in FYM so it must be true :up:

Oh god, Sarah Palin...the night of the Canadian english debate was the same night as the VP debate and my dad kept switching between them...I couldn't believe what I was hearing....that woman is just...I seriously got up and walked out of the room when she was talking...:crack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom