Guster - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive

Old 06-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Guster

Any Guster fans on board? I used to think they were completely wussy, but they've got some great songs. The new album sounds great. They also drew 30,000 for their CD release/free concert in Boston. I feel like they aren't very big outside of New England, but some of you might want to check them out.

Actually, they have a U2 connection. Steve Lillywhite produced their last album.

Old 06-25-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Some of my friends are huge fans of them. I honestly havent really heard anything of theirs.

Old 06-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:48 PM
so the new album is good? i considered (only for the two seconds it took for me to remember i don't have a car) driving to boston for that. haven't listened to them in over a year, used to be a huge fan of the lost and gone forever album. never reeally got into goldfly or parachute...i can't even remember if it's parachuteS, or just parachute. damn.

oh great "center of attention" is stuck in my head now. it's going to stay there for the rest of the day too...
Old 06-25-2003, 04:07 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:48 PM
i like Guster. i am not a huge fan but i do like them. i like the updates that they email. very funny.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

with the wingdings font? or have they stopped doing that...i have to admit i haven't thoroughly read one of those emails in a while...
Old 06-25-2003, 04:38 PM   #6
The Fly

Yep

The new album is pretty good. I've only listened to it a little so far (it just came out yesterday). I love Amsterdam and Ramona. I think the real prize of the album is a song called "Come Downstairs and Say Hello."
The album is a lot more like Lost and Gone Forever than the old stuff. Great production, particularly on the vocals. I also like the fact that they use more kit than hand drums on this CD.
I should sign up for their emails. The road diary on their website is hilarious.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 06-26-2003, 12:15 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

i'm going to have get the new album. i really loved lost and gone forever.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:21 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

OH MY GOD

NO!

NO!

NO!

I was waiting for a post like this!!!!

JUST SAY NO TO GUSTER:

I went to college in Boston and the guys from Guster went to my school. I was in a fraternity (so sorry to all you haters.) We used to hire Boston bands to come and play at our house for parties. When we could not get the band we wanted we used to get Guster. Well, at that time the band was actually called Gus, but they had to change their name because another band alreay had that name. Well, Gus sucked. After a while our friends who used to come to our parties would yell at us never to get Gus again because they were so bad. Basically I think they were two acoustic guitars and a bongo player. They wopuld play mostly covers like Madonna's Like a Prayer. Blechhhh

Well, we actually had a formal meeting in the house and banned Gus from ever playing there again.

I have seen that Guster have become popular (I have no idea how) and are even playing at Radio City Music call here in NYC. Radio City?!?

They were banned from playing in my dining room, but they are playing Radio City?

This and my Tara Reid story I find truly amazing and everytime I think about them I find myself at a loss of words (kinda.)
Old 06-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

i'm sorry guster brings you such horrific memories.

i want to hear your tara reid story.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:40 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

So Ouizy, you're a Jumbo?

Guster doesn't do much for me, I admit I was rather surprised to see they drew 30,000 to city hall plaza the other day.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:45 PM   #12
The Fly

10 years ago, I think I would have banned Guster from my dining room. I didn't like them at all. They just seemed cheesy and crunchy, but I think they've come a long way. Besides the fact that they've written some good songs, they're a bunch of funny, down-to-earth guys. They sounded great at City Hall Plaza.

I lived about a block from Tufts' campus until a few weeks ago. I went to school on the other side of the Charles though, at a bigger school.

So, what's the Tara Reid story?
I heard Jessica Biel went to Tufts recently. Never saw her though. I've seen Natalie Portman around Harvard Square a few times.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #13
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i saw guster last summer with john mayer and some australian band (i don't remember the name), and everyone kicked ass. it was funny, i went mainly to see john mayer, but i wasn't too wild on him. everyone else rocked though.

i remember seeing guster on vh1 several years ago and thinking they were good. i should probably buy an album or two.

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
Old 06-27-2003, 12:41 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes I am a Jumbo.

I cannot fathom that Guster is drawing 30000. They used to turn away 300.

Anyway

The Tara Reid atory is just another brush with people who are making it big. I grew up with Tara (through high school), was friends with her and her brother and one of my best friends dated her.

Back then she was just another kid.

When she dropped out of school to move to California and make it big we all laughed our asses off.

I guess she is doing the laughing now...

The whole thing is very bizarre...
Old 06-28-2003, 01:40 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

i love guster

i am on the webpage

they are very funny

great live show

new cd is pretty good, but not as good as lost and gone forever

come downstairs and say hello is definitely the best song

yay for guster