Guns N`Roses Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flybabe

Blue Crack Addict
The best all American band from the 80`s/90`s needs to be brought up and i don`t see any threads at the moment soooo:drool:

post you favourite songs,favourite moments,recommend some,this is that thread baby:wink:

for starters,my personal favourites are,Estranged,and You Could Be Mine...

I loved GNR! :love: The late 80s and especially early 90s was when I was exposed to a ton of new music and videos on MTV which was awesome back then! The Use Your Illusion albums, especially I, are still close to my heart. Doesn't get much better than Don't Cry, November Rain, Estranged, You Could Be Mine, The Garden and so on. Appetite was great but I prefer Illusion. Very nostalgic about the time. :drool:

use-your-illusions-a.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
My 2nd favorite band after U2, I would say my favorite album is Appetite for Destruction, but Use Your Illusion II is close (My World is awful). I love Estranged, Locomotive, You're Crazy (the acoustic version on GNR Lies is really cool), Rocket Queen, It's So Easy and all the classics.

Slash (my favorite guitarist ever) knows how to rock and did some of the best solos ever (Don't Cry, November Rain, Sweet Child O'Mine) :rockon: :drool:

Edit: Patience from Live Era '87-'93 is :drool: :drool: :drool: (the acoustic guitar solo too)

the one band that EVERYBODY... and I mean EVERYBODY rocks out to

NO ONE doesn't like them... it's weird

You Could Be Mine :drool:

everything is great about em, Mr. Brownstone is a funny song,and November Rain, will make you shiver it`s soo good :drool:

I still can't believe how much ass Appetite kicks.

The Use Your Illusions have their moments, but Appetite, wow, still fucking rocks.

"They're out ta get me.....they won't catch me......"

I wouldn't say best all-american band of the 80s/90s. I'd say best all-american band from 1987-1992.

Don't Cry is my favourite. And I really like Locomotive, too.

There's a new/recent book out, I believe with tons of pics...

51VRQIaH91L._AA240_.jpg

I was friends with this person way back when (early 80s). And I knew one of the photographers who contributed to the book (we all hung out/went to shows, all prior to GNR). Met Slash before he was "Slash" the rockstar. I just remember Mark (author of said book above) brought "Slash" into the record store I worked at. Slash said he'd be famous one day, and I thought, yeah, ok. Guess he knew better...

I don't know that a band with 3 proper albums (and that's if you count Use Your Illusion as 2) can lay claim to that.

R.E.M. I'd say was the best American band of the 80's, and Pavement for the 90's.

But G'n'R owned that little time period between 87 & 92, as The Tourist pointed out.

I've been working for years on whittling down UYI to a single disc, and it's very hard because there's too much for one album, but way too much filler for two. I always wind up having to axe November Rain because it's so long (choosing to include Estranged instead), but that never seems right.

I could argue that November Rain would be released as a non-album single before or after, maybe that would work.

One of these days I'll have to post my current tracklisting. I'll give you one hint, and it's that the thing opens with Izzy's Double Talkin' Jive. Oh yeah.

By the way, I called my version "Fuse Your Illusion".

Yeah, too clever by half.

lazarus said:
I've been working for years on whittling down UYI to a single disc, and it's very hard because there's too much for one album, but way too much filler for two. I always wind up having to axe November Rain because it's so long (choosing to include Estranged instead), but that never seems right.

I could argue that November Rain would be released as a non-album single before or after, maybe that would work.

One of these days I'll have to post my current tracklisting. I'll give you one hint, and it's that the thing opens with Izzy's Double Talkin' Jive. Oh yeah.

By the way, I called my version "Fuse Your Illusion".

Yeah, too clever by half.

You ever seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/Use-Your-Illu...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1204392572&sr=1-4

Very lazy collection. How could they exclude You Could Be Mine and include the unnecessary alternate version of Don't Cry instead?

'Appetite For Destruction' kicks my ass across the living room.

One of the best drinking albums of all time.

Axl was just so damn COOL. It really is a shame to see him now. That, however, is an entirely different story.

Fuck it, I'm gonna listen to it right now.

YOWZA!!!!

the tourist said:
I wouldn't say best all-american band of the 80s/90s. I'd say best all-american band from 1987-1992.

whatever,you know what i mean then...

yeah i blasted my stereo a minute ago :lmao:

all im trying to say is that they rocked their era and made a lasting impression,The St. Louis Riot was the biggest one i think...

pat132 said:
Old Metallica is thrash metal, not really hard rock

Thrash... true. But I even liked their 90s alternative/hard rock style of Load & Reload. Not to derail the thread or anything. :shifty:

I really liked Mr. Brownstone and It's So Easy from the first lp. But I don't like stuff like Sweet child or Paradise city :shrug:
"Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green & the girls are purdy" :|

Zootlesque said:

You ever seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/Use-Your-Illu...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1204392572&sr=1-4

Very lazy collection. How could they exclude You Could Be Mine and include the unnecessary alternate version of Don't Cry instead?

I'm surprised that was an official release. Must have been the record company; I can't imagine the band signing off on that one.

I don't understand putting both versions of Don't Cry, either.

One of the first things I did on mine was get rid of the covers. Live and Let Die is fun, but it's an overrated song to begin with (a fucking James Bond theme song, for christ's sake), and should have been a b-side. Knockin' on Heaven's Door is one of the biggest abominations I've ever heard in my life; it took me years and seeing Dylan several times in concerts to get Axl's "hey, hey...hey,hey,hey" out of my head. Fucking butchered it.

Anyway, no time like the present for my playlist (with selected comments):

1. Double Talkin' Jive

This is a short song that I think works great as an intro. It has a cool lead from Slash, and though it might seem strange to open with an Izzy vocal, Axl is on backing vocals, and there's that nice nod to the last album with his "no more Patience...man", which works great upfront. Plus it has that nice classical guitar outro that leads right into...

2. You Could Be Mine

I ALWAYS thought this should have been the first song of the double-album, and works way better than Right Next Door to Hell, which is just a weak song to begin with. This is defininitive G'n'R, and works in the same way it did as the lead single.

3. Yesterdays

Ballads are always good in the 3 slot.

4. Don't Cry
5. 14 Years

6. Breakdown
7. Locomotive
--
8. Civil War

The "meat" of the album, culminating what's arguably the most powerful song. Sure they're all long, but they each have their own vibe and certainly don't drag. If you were dividing this into "sides", which I like to so, Locomotive would close out Side One with that amazing piano instrumental section at the end (one of the album's highlights), and Civil War would open Side Two, preserving its distinction as the original lead track on Use Your Illusion II.

9. Dust 'n' Bones

I can't stress enough how good the Izzy songs on this album are. They all deserve inclusion.

10. Perfect Crime

Some people like The Garden, some Garden of Eden...I think this is the best of what I'd call the "generic", unambitious rockers of the collection. It's also under 2.5 minutes long, and this album can use shorter diversions.

11. Bad Obsession
12. You Ain't The First
13. So Fine

The album changes gear from your typical G'n'R sound again, with Bad Obsession venturing into some nice honky-tonk sounds, and then we go almost full country with You Ain't The First. Last is So Fine, which I think is a really beautiful contribution from Duff. Very underrated.

14. Estranged

Axl's epic. It's not as mainstream as November Rain, but it's much more accomplished in my eyes. It's a bit of a tour-de-force from the whole band. A great closer.

--
15. My World (hidden track)

Yeah, most people hate it, but there's room for it as it's only a minute and a half, and as a bonus track works as a subtle nod to the (possible) direction of G'n'R's future. Unfortunately, it's been over 15 years and we still don't know if that's true or not.

As I mentioned in my above post, I think November Rain would be a nice stand-alone single. The problem with getting UYI down to one disc is that there are a lot of LONG songs. There are like 6 songs over 7 minutes. So obviously there isn't room for Coma, either.

Get in the Ring is a fun song, but all the name-calling gets a bit old, and is definitely dated. B-side material.

Comments welcome, but I urge you to mix this track order and give it a try!

Last edited:
That's a nice list, laz. I like your side A better than side B though. I don't see any need to include You Ain't The First. And I know it's hard to fit everything in but Coma is just epic! :combust: I agree that Get In The Ring and Knockin are useless. But November Rain is a must IMO!!! :drool:

I've had "Appetite for Destruction" for a while, but sold it when the Greatest Hits package came out. To me that album is like Red Hot Chilli Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" - a few stellar tracks and a whole bunch of filler.

But their singles sure do kick my ass, :drool: Axl Rose may be an unpleasant individual (from what I gathered) but all props to him for exuding more personality and attitude than most rock stars these days.

Back
Top Bottom