Guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baker6621

War Child
I really want to learn how to play guitar and we got 2 in the house since my brother is in college. One is electric, black and white very cool and one is a big acoustic which looks very nice. Problem is, my parents don't let me touch the guitars cuz of the stupidest reason in the world: Drugs. They think I'll get in a band and so drugs. How fucking stupid is that? Whats wrong with parents!

Anyways...I wanna learn how to play, I don't care what. What should I do? Talking to them doesn't do shit, they are so annoying and centered in that way.

Peace
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Well, you could give them a list of guitarists who don't use drugs.

There's um... Uh...

Well, there's my brother. He's good, and he doesn't do drugs.

Then there's The Edge. He's not an addict.

There's Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton. They both stopped doing drugs.

Metallica doesn't use drugs. They're into alcohol.

There's no real direct correlation between drugs and guitars.

Woah, that's some really bizarre reasoning. Tell them you'd like to learn classical guitar music (even if you don't, although playing classical music on guitar is pretty fun). Other than that, I really don't know what to tell you, that has to be the stupidest reason for not letting someone play guitar that I've ever heard. It's a musical instrument - parents should be encouraging their kids to play musical instruments...sheesh.

Is christian music a option ? You can practice your chords and convince your parents that all christian musicians are drugs users
biggrin.gif

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

[This message has been edited by Rono (edited 09-27-2001).]

I know Dieman, its the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's like saying...I don't want you to learn how to drive because you'll kill yourself.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Good luck 2U with the oldies baker. My son's guitar playing is really coming along.He starts senior high next year and is playing a "mum song" as one of his examination pieces...awwwwww, that's my boy
biggrin.gif
and the Cliff Burton bass solo (lol I wanna be there to see that)
anyways, he just recommended a good web site to me( he's my scout) www.guitartricks.com There is a forum board at that site he says is very useful. Wonder if the edge posts there? Thought I'd share the addy, may be useful to others.

Jose Feliciano, Chet Atkins.... ummmm trying to think of straight guitarists...Leo Kottke?

aww heck. I just remembered, he is playing in the bass in the school band today at the Year 12 farewell assembly. "I Will Survive" LMAO they are doing it in all different tempos and feels, I hope they slip a bit of cake in there, a potential schemozzle...I better get my skates on....

Ottmar Leibert anyone?( I lost the scrap of paper I wrote on, not sure if the surname is spelt correctly)
I was in the music shop and my eye was caught by a CD that at a glance I thought had Bono on the cover. Seems Ottmar is a flamenco guitarist, nice face
biggrin.gif
, shame I had no $$$ to buy his album.He had 3 CD's in that shop, anyone know his work?
But the reason I am posting.... I did see another CD there, that I would like to recommend to guitarist. A double compilation CD of Tommy Emmanuel's work, one CD acoustic, the other electric. It is great value for money IMHO. Inspirational. Tommy is a very humble, talented Aussie man. Do yourself a favour
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom