Guilty Pleasures - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2002, 09:50 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Guilty Pleasures

[color=royal blue]Music I mean, dern it.

OK who do you like to listen to but you'd never tell anyone? 'FESS UP! Embarrass yerself.

I'll go first.

Pink

Bryan Adams
[/color]

Old 07-24-2002, 09:51 PM   #2
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:11 AM
80's shiznit.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:00 PM   #3
Refugee

Hey, I like Bryan Adams!

Nickelback ( ) Default, Paul Simon, Bon Jovi.. probably a bunch others but none I can think of atm.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:03 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, I guess some people would say I should feel guilty about these, but I still like them..

Good old fashioned Irish bands like The Chieftains, Makem and Clancy

Yo Yo Ma-the way he plays the cello brings me to tears. I saw him play at the symphony only once, and it was beyond description.

Sarah Brightman- the Phantom Of The Opera soundtrack is the only CD I have w/ her on it, but I've heard some of her other songs, and I think her voice is amazing

Elvis' gospel music

Jewel
Old 07-24-2002, 10:04 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2er
Hey, I like Bryan Adams!

Nickelback ( ) Default, Paul Simon, Bon Jovi.. probably a bunch others but none I can think of atm.
ok, I can understand you feeling guilty for liking nickleback and default...thats just sick...
but why say Paul Simon
he's awesome and he writes amazing music.
I fail to see why anyone would be ashamed of liking him
Old 07-24-2002, 10:06 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:11 AM
Andrew W.K. and the Stray Cats. I'm not very embarrassed about the Stray Cats anymore though, they're actually a great band.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:20 PM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:11 AM

OMC, my list would be about a mile long if I named all of the artists I listen to that you guys would wanna beat me with a stick for listenin' to!!!!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 07-24-2002, 10:58 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
80's shiznit.
I love 80s pop music! I also sometimes get on these kicks where I listen to a really crappy song on repeat for hours. One of the most embarassing: Black Velvet by Alanna Myles.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:02 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Basstrap

ok, I can understand you feeling guilty for liking nickleback and default...thats just sick...
but why say Paul Simon
he's awesome and he writes amazing music.
I fail to see why anyone would be ashamed of liking him
*sigh* you're right.. a lot of people make fun of me for it but they obviously have bad taste.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:15 PM   #10
The Fly

I like the following...shame free....

Poison
Bon Jovi
Motley Crue
Guns N Roses
Def Leppard
Blondie
Skid Row
Billy Idol

Old 07-25-2002, 12:14 AM   #11
I serve MacPhisto

Whats people's obsession with bashing nickleback? I mean for fucks sake there are 3 canadian bands that the american public knows about, The tragically hip, The tea party, and Nickleback... I dont even know if tea party is canadian! We have so many kickass bands that go completely unnoticed, and then somebody makes it big on a later album, certainly not their first, after touring for years and years, and suddenly theyre just a crappy prefab band pumped out by the music industry. Like where the fuck do you all get off? I mean Im not a big fan of nickleback but give them at least some credit for the work theyve done. Just look at Our Lady Peace, from my understanding of things, having friends in the states, 99.9% of people hadnt even heard about them, and up until the release of gravity and having Somewhere Out There on the radio, hadnt heard of them, and even having heard S.O.T. didnt even know the name of the band. Like come on here... Give credit where credit is due, you can say you dont like Iggy Pop, or the Sex Pistols, but if youre a punk fan you have no right to say they sucked, thatd be like saying Led Zepplin sucked if youre a rock fan. Sure, you might not like their music, but they were trying to break new ground for musicians like themselves. Now musically, led zepplin and nickleback are very different, and Im sure as hell not saying the quality is the same, but you have to realise how tough it is for canadians to get noticed. We're like the American's little annoying brother, we tag along on issues of economy, trade back and forth, be pleasant with each other, but everyone loves the little brother more and that makes the older brother jealous and in turn the older brother (or american cultrue) ignores the little brother (or canadian culture).

Anyways, time for my little confessions... Uhmmm Ive been listening to pink a lot more lately, and Tenacious D... lol jack black is a riot sometimes.

Ive also found that Ive had Nelly's Hot in Here stuck in my head on several occasions... that pisses me off though cuz I hate that song and I hate nelly...

Hmm... what else... oh yes... the ultimate blasphemy... I actually like creed's One Last Breath... just the song, not the video... I hate the video... but I have no respect for creed, not since scott stapp has been running his mouth about this that and the other... he always makes such an ass of himself, he doesnt even have an excuse like shakira whos second language is english and is not properly understood/understands what shes saying... he knows what hes saying, hes just an ignorant dumbass... I hate the band and therefore I cannot respect the quality of the music, which, in my opinion, still all sounds the same, and in listening to some of their older stuff I found a song that was somewhat comparable to One Last Breath much to my dismay... and then I realised, shit! Im listening to Creed!... nuff said....

Anyways... hmmm what else... oh I dunno... Im too tired... if I thinka something Ill edit my post...

(edit (1): Speaking of sounds the same... Andrew W.K.? LOL... the CD is as follows: Music is exactly the same, lyrics are slightly different... Although I must say that Lets Get a Party Started or whatever is a pretty killer song, if you ignore the fact that the rest of the cd is identical... lol)
Old 07-25-2002, 12:26 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:11 AM

This is extremely embarrassing and possibly sick-making , but it has a U2 connection , so I'll tell the story.
On the drive home from seeing U2 in Brisbane, we were coming thru the Gold Coast and I asked the driver.."STOP!" and ran into a music store and bought the Shania Twain CD single that was a hit at the time. A present for the baby-sitter waiting at home. Even my mother says she can't stand shania twain, so that must be bad.
He just bought me the Shakira album, we listen to it a lot actaully
crikes this is true confession time
Elvis...about that edit function...?
Old 07-25-2002, 12:31 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:11 AM

Yowza there UFF!

I respect that Nickleback have worked hard in their career - but it has nothing to do with jealousy or any of the things you have mentioned, or them being Canadian, etc...

By your logic - does anyone not have a right to "bash" or dislike a band just because they have worked hard or put in their dues? I don't care for Nickleback.. is that wrong to you? I don't like their style, is that not okay? One of the problems with the whole Nickleback phenomenon is that they are vastly overplayed on American radio, and so thus, become annoying.

For what it's worth, I don't even listen to most American music, and I'm American.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:38 AM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~
Whats people's obsession with bashing nickleback?
THANK you. I don't know why people bash them, cuz they're different from U2 I guess. You have to learn to broaden your horizons. I think they've done a lot of great work and should get the respect they deserve. I don't care what Basstrap or anybody else thinks..

I LOVE NICKELBACK!
Old 07-25-2002, 12:42 AM   #15
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Journey
Cheap Trick
AC/DC
Guns N Roses
Foreigner (I just bought their greatest hits)
Culture Club
Motley Crue
Van Halen (DLR era only)

And Gina Marie...I LOVE Sarah Brightman...her duet of Time to Say Goodbye with Andrea Bocceli will bring tears to your eyes! I think the CD is also called Time to Say Goodbye. Its SO beautiful. I also love the Chieftans

I also must add that I don't care for Nickleback either but it has nothing to do with them being Canadian or not being like U2...I just don't care for their music, plain and simple. I have pretty broad musical tastes ranging from rock, pop, punk, heavy metal, soul, blues, opera, traditional Irish, folk, classical, mariachi and even a little country but Nickleback just didn't grab me.