Guided By Voices To Split At Year's End - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 04-26-2004, 07:33 AM   #1
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 11:15 AM
Guided By Voices To Split At Year's End

Beloved indie rock act Guided By Voices will split at the end of the year, frontman Robert Pollard announced on stage last night (April 24) at New York's Bowery Ballroom. The group's final album, "Half Smiles of the Decomposed," will be released Aug. 24 via Matador. A full announcement is expected from the label on Monday.

"That's it," Pollard said about an hour through the three-hour set, which featured a guest appearance by Chavez/Zwan member Matt Sweeney on "Quicksilver" and a cover of AC/DC's "Whole Lotta Rosie." "You can't be the Rolling Stones. You've gotta quit while you're relatively handsome."

GBV's 21-year career will "go out in a blaze of fire," Pollard insisted, adding that the group's final show will be held on New Year's Eve in New York. "We are the kings of indie rock. When we quit, indie rock will die."

Pollard did not give a specific reason for last night's announcement. In recent years, he has spent as much time recording with GBV as he has immersed in solo projects with current and former GBV members, including guitarist Doug Gillard (Lifeguards), bassist Tim Tobias (Circus Devils) and guitarist Tobin Sprout (Airport 5).

GBV's touring plans for the rest of the year have yet to be announced beyond three U.S. shows in June, beginning June 17 in Champaign, Ill.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at]
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 09:15 AM
champaign eh?

Maybe I'll have to check them out. I have never been overly excited about their stuff....but if they are starting the tour here...

Old 04-26-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Good band , Dayton Ohios own, sorry to see them exit...
Old 04-26-2004, 08:54 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:15 AM
Why? They've been around so long and have done so much but are only now getting recognition.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 PM   #5
Blue Meth Addict
I was really bummed to hear this. REALLY bummed
Old 04-28-2004, 11:48 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
i was really bummed since i passed up a chance to see them playing here really recently.

stupid stupid stupid

i've taken it for granted that bands will be around forever because i've never actually been a fan while any of my non-existant favorite bands called it quits.

in the last several months a good number of bands i like have announced they're breaking up or have broken up. some local, some not.

Old 04-29-2004, 05:47 AM   #7
War Child
Local Time: 03:15 PM
I missed a chance to see them too, I thought they'd be back
Old 04-29-2004, 06:03 AM   #8
you are what you is
Local Time: 05:15 PM
even though "Under the Bushes, under the stars" was their last album that I really loved, it's still a shame
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
War Child
Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
Oh no. This is my teenage son's favorite band and he will never forgive me for not driving him to Philadephia to see them last year.