"Grey's Anatomy" there will be no wedding - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 AM
"Grey's Anatomy" there will be no wedding

well

looks like we got our pound of flesh

Quote:
'Grey's' Isaiah Washington Won't Be Back
Star's Contract Not Being Renewed

June 7, 2007 —

"Grey's Anatomy" will not be renewing the contract of troubled actor Isaiah Washington, ABC News has learned.

The move was confirmed by two sources with knowledge of the situation, one of whom said, "It was a difficult year and this should come as no surprise to anyone."

Officials at ABC Television Studio, which produces "Grey's Anatomy," declined comment.

Even as Washington's star rose with the hit show he starred in, he faced allegations that he used an anti-gay slur to refer to "Grey's" co-star T.R. Knight.

He initially denied reports he used the slur, and raised eyebrows with a public statement at the Golden Globe awards.

"No, I did not call him a f--t," Washington said in front of reporters.

Knight appeared on the "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," saying that he was shocked by Washington's denial.

On "Access Hollywood," another "Grey's Anatomy" co-star, Katherine Heigl, said: "He [Washington] just needs to stop talking."

Earlier this year, Washington admitted using the slur, apologized and said he planned to meet with gay rights groups.

He then said he would check into a treatment center for psychological evaluation.

"I have begun counseling," Washington said. "I regard this as a necessary step toward understanding why I did what I did and making sure it never happens again."

Old 06-08-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:10 AM

Old 06-08-2007, 02:55 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I am not happy about this move. Yes, what Isaiah said was EXTREMELY wrong, couldn't be wronger, and he supposedly was difficult on the set.

But...but...Burke was a great character on GREY's. He was terrific paired up with Sandra Oh, whose Christina is THE star of that show, IMHO. And, let's be real...what storyline would you rather follow, Burke and Christina or the intolerable George/Izzie/Callie triangle? (I can't believe I said I liked Izzie in a GREY's thread here, BTW. That character, and Heigl in general, are getting on my last nerve.)

Washington has paid the price for his mistakes, and it's a steep one. And yes, what he said and did was wrong. But GREY's will be a poorer show for his absence, and there are signs that next season will be lousy--no Addison, the evil Thacher Grey's spawn Lexie as an intern who's already caught McDreamy's eye, the continuation of Izzie's over-the-top obsession with George...talk about jumping the shark!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Old 06-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diane L
I am not happy about this move. Yes, what Isaiah said was EXTREMELY wrong, couldn't be wronger, and he supposedly was difficult on the set.

But...but...Burke was a great character on GREY's. He was terrific paired up with Sandra Oh, whose Christina is THE star of that show, IMHO. And, let's be real...what storyline would you rather follow, Burke and Christina or the intolerable George/Izzie/Callie triangle? (I can't believe I said I liked Izzie in a GREY's thread here, BTW. That character, and Heigl in general, are getting on my last nerve.)

Washington has paid the price for his mistakes, and it's a steep one. And yes, what he said and did was wrong. But GREY's will be a poorer show for his absence, and there are signs that next season will be lousy--no Addison, the evil Thacher Grey's spawn Lexie as an intern who's already caught McDreamy's eye, the continuation of Izzie's over-the-top obsession with George...talk about jumping the shark!!!
Burke was a complex interesting character.

As for Isaiah Washington, yes he was wrong, but it seems took responsibility and did some public service. Where is the lesson in canning him?

and I am completely bored with the Callie/ George non relationship weird vibe marriage
there is no there there

as a guy
I am good with the Lexie introduction
Meridith has just turned into a walking wounded worthless pity party

Derrick should move on

Hegel can take some pleasure for her part in the Isaiah debacle
Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I agree that he paid the price, I like him as an actor and his role on the show. He is quite talented. At first I was so angry that I wanted him fired, but after my initial reaction I hoped he truly saw the error of his ways and things could improve.

Who knows what really went on behind the scenes, but perhaps the work environment got to a point where something had to give-even after the incidents died down.

Katherine was standing up for her beliefs and fror the rights of her friend, and Isaiah Washington even thanked her for doing so according to what she said in a recent interview.

This whole situation isn't the only reason the show is where it is right now-it is the writing and Shonda too.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

I can't say that I'm surprised.....but it goes to show the lack of forgiveness even when someone is trying to turn it around.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I hated Burke/Cristina and feel that the relationship brought the show down. It made Cristina less likeable and I hated how controlling and anal he was. I wouldn't mind if the show cleaned house a bit - getting rid of Burke, Callie and Mark (since Addison is leaving anyway) would be a good start....

Lexie/Derek skeeves me out because she seems so young (not just in age). Plus getting together with the sister of the "great love of your life" or whatever he said is wrong on a hundred levels.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Congrats "Grey's Antomy"!! You probably just signed on for your final season.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

^ Agreed.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I hated Burke/Cristina and feel that the relationship brought the show down. It made Cristina less likeable and I hated how controlling and anal he was
I agree. I liked how he played the role as an actor, but not that. Cristina started out as a kick ass, sharp witted, take no bs and funny character and her relationship with him ruined all of that. The worst was her complete compromise of her integrity as a doctor and individual in order to cover for him.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
Congrats "Grey's Antomy"!! You probably just signed on for your final season.
The nail in the coffin came so much earlier in the season, in my opinion, but you're right. I can't see this show lasting much longer.

Isaiah is lucky to get out now before the show gets even worse.

I still won't be watching in the fall, but I don't think that firing actors is the answer to the show's problems. Mrs. Springsteen is right - the change needs to come from Shonda and the rest of the writing crew.

From what I've read and heard elsewhere, it sounds like Shonda's pretty delusional, and in her own little world, this has been the best season EVAH, and she has a grand old plan for the characters. I seriously doubt that her "plan" will be anything spectacular, based on the last 5 or 6 episodes of the season, but whatever.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

TVGuide.com

Ausiello Report
Exclusive! Grey's Fires Isaiah Washington
Yeah, you read that headline correctly.

Multiple sources are telling me that Isaiah Washington will not be returning to Grey's Anatomy next season. An ABC Studios spokesperson confirms that the actor's contract option has not been picked up, but declined further comment.

One insider, who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the situation, speculated that the decision was likely due only in part to the T.R. Knight homophobic slur scandal and the subsequent fallout. "There was a pattern of problematic behavior going back before he used the F-word," says my spy. "I imagine [his dismissal] was the result of all of that."

Washington's rep, Howard Bragman, confirmed the news, adding that his client was informed by Grey's executive producer Shonda Rhimes earlier today that he was not being invited back to the show. In a statement, Washington, referencing the iconic line from Network, said, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." (He's kidding... I think.)

Plot-wise, it won't be difficult to explain Washington's absence. In last month's season finale, Burke left Cristina at the altar and moved out of their apartment.

Personally, I think ABC did the right thing. As much as I'll miss Burke, Washington's behavior was inexcusable and it was tearing apart the show.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ThoraSEB

The nail in the coffin came so much earlier in the season, in my opinion, but you're right. I can't see this show lasting much longer.

They lost me about a third of the way through.

Oh well, more time to study come fall, and no scheduling conflicts because The Office is moving to 9pm.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 06:10 AM
I keep hoping the show will turn around, but sadly, the truth of the matter is they've effectively destroyed all thier characters.
George is not longer that likeable, Izzie has become increasingly annoying, Christina is weak, and Merideth went from the sympathetic problem girl to just plain pathetic.

btw, did anyone see the commercials/public service announcements aired on thrusdays, with Isaiah procliaming that words can hurt?