"Grey's Anatomy" there will be no wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
well

looks like we got our pound of flesh:tsk:

'Grey's' Isaiah Washington Won't Be Back
Star's Contract Not Being Renewed

June 7, 2007 —

"Grey's Anatomy" will not be renewing the contract of troubled actor Isaiah Washington, ABC News has learned.

The move was confirmed by two sources with knowledge of the situation, one of whom said, "It was a difficult year and this should come as no surprise to anyone."

Officials at ABC Television Studio, which produces "Grey's Anatomy," declined comment.

Even as Washington's star rose with the hit show he starred in, he faced allegations that he used an anti-gay slur to refer to "Grey's" co-star T.R. Knight.

He initially denied reports he used the slur, and raised eyebrows with a public statement at the Golden Globe awards.

"No, I did not call him a f--t," Washington said in front of reporters.

Knight appeared on the "The Ellen DeGeneres Show," saying that he was shocked by Washington's denial.

On "Access Hollywood," another "Grey's Anatomy" co-star, Katherine Heigl, said: "He [Washington] just needs to stop talking."

Earlier this year, Washington admitted using the slur, apologized and said he planned to meet with gay rights groups.

He then said he would check into a treatment center for psychological evaluation.

"I have begun counseling," Washington said. "I regard this as a necessary step toward understanding why I did what I did and making sure it never happens again."

I am not happy about this move. Yes, what Isaiah said was EXTREMELY wrong, couldn't be wronger, and he supposedly was difficult on the set.

But...but...Burke was a great character on GREY's. He was terrific paired up with Sandra Oh, whose Christina is THE star of that show, IMHO. And, let's be real...what storyline would you rather follow, Burke and Christina or the intolerable George/Izzie/Callie triangle? (I can't believe I said I liked Izzie in a GREY's thread here, BTW. That character, and Heigl in general, are getting on my last nerve.)

Washington has paid the price for his mistakes, and it's a steep one. And yes, what he said and did was wrong. But GREY's will be a poorer show for his absence, and there are signs that next season will be lousy--no Addison, the evil Thacher Grey's spawn Lexie as an intern who's already caught McDreamy's eye, the continuation of Izzie's over-the-top obsession with George...talk about jumping the shark!!!

Diane L said:
I am not happy about this move. Yes, what Isaiah said was EXTREMELY wrong, couldn't be wronger, and he supposedly was difficult on the set.

But...but...Burke was a great character on GREY's. He was terrific paired up with Sandra Oh, whose Christina is THE star of that show, IMHO. And, let's be real...what storyline would you rather follow, Burke and Christina or the intolerable George/Izzie/Callie triangle? (I can't believe I said I liked Izzie in a GREY's thread here, BTW. That character, and Heigl in general, are getting on my last nerve.)

Washington has paid the price for his mistakes, and it's a steep one. And yes, what he said and did was wrong. But GREY's will be a poorer show for his absence, and there are signs that next season will be lousy--no Addison, the evil Thacher Grey's spawn Lexie as an intern who's already caught McDreamy's eye, the continuation of Izzie's over-the-top obsession with George...talk about jumping the shark!!!

Burke was a complex interesting character.

As for Isaiah Washington, yes he was wrong, but it seems took responsibility and did some public service. Where is the lesson in canning him?

and I am completely bored with the Callie/ George non relationship weird vibe marriage
there is no there there

as a guy
I am good with the Lexie introduction
Meridith has just turned into a walking wounded worthless pity party

Derrick should move on

Hegel can take some pleasure for her part in the Isaiah debacle

I agree that he paid the price, I like him as an actor and his role on the show. He is quite talented. At first I was so angry that I wanted him fired, but after my initial reaction I hoped he truly saw the error of his ways and things could improve.

Who knows what really went on behind the scenes, but perhaps the work environment got to a point where something had to give-even after the incidents died down.

Katherine was standing up for her beliefs and fror the rights of her friend, and Isaiah Washington even thanked her for doing so according to what she said in a recent interview.

This whole situation isn't the only reason the show is where it is right now-it is the writing and Shonda too.

I hated Burke/Cristina and feel that the relationship brought the show down. It made Cristina less likeable and I hated how controlling and anal he was. I wouldn't mind if the show cleaned house a bit - getting rid of Burke, Callie and Mark (since Addison is leaving anyway) would be a good start....

Lexie/Derek skeeves me out because she seems so young (not just in age). Plus getting together with the sister of the "great love of your life" or whatever he said is wrong on a hundred levels.

anitram said:
I hated Burke/Cristina and feel that the relationship brought the show down. It made Cristina less likeable and I hated how controlling and anal he was

I agree. I liked how he played the role as an actor, but not that. Cristina started out as a kick ass, sharp witted, take no bs and funny character and her relationship with him ruined all of that. The worst was her complete compromise of her integrity as a doctor and individual in order to cover for him.

U2isthebest said:
Congrats "Grey's Antomy"!! You probably just signed on for your final season.:happy: :|

The nail in the coffin came so much earlier in the season, in my opinion, but you're right. I can't see this show lasting much longer.

Isaiah is lucky to get out now before the show gets even worse.

I still won't be watching in the fall, but I don't think that firing actors is the answer to the show's problems. Mrs. Springsteen is right - the change needs to come from Shonda and the rest of the writing crew.

From what I've read and heard elsewhere, it sounds like Shonda's pretty delusional, and in her own little world, this has been the best season EVAH, and she has a grand old plan for the characters. I seriously doubt that her "plan" will be anything spectacular, based on the last 5 or 6 episodes of the season, but whatever.

TVGuide.com

Ausiello Report
Exclusive! Grey's Fires Isaiah Washington
Yeah, you read that headline correctly.

Multiple sources are telling me that Isaiah Washington will not be returning to Grey's Anatomy next season. An ABC Studios spokesperson confirms that the actor's contract option has not been picked up, but declined further comment.

One insider, who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the situation, speculated that the decision was likely due only in part to the T.R. Knight homophobic slur scandal and the subsequent fallout. "There was a pattern of problematic behavior going back before he used the F-word," says my spy. "I imagine [his dismissal] was the result of all of that."

Washington's rep, Howard Bragman, confirmed the news, adding that his client was informed by Grey's executive producer Shonda Rhimes earlier today that he was not being invited back to the show. In a statement, Washington, referencing the iconic line from Network, said, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." (He's kidding... I think.)

Plot-wise, it won't be difficult to explain Washington's absence. In last month's season finale, Burke left Cristina at the altar and moved out of their apartment.

Personally, I think ABC did the right thing. As much as I'll miss Burke, Washington's behavior was inexcusable and it was tearing apart the show.

I keep hoping the show will turn around, but sadly, the truth of the matter is they've effectively destroyed all thier characters.
George is not longer that likeable, Izzie has become increasingly annoying, Christina is weak, and Merideth went from the sympathetic problem girl to just plain pathetic.

btw, did anyone see the commercials/public service announcements aired on thrusdays, with Isaiah procliaming that words can hurt?

Ok,

I have a brilliant idea

how the writers will save the show

Christina will be so devastated that Burke is gone that

she will just lay on the floor of the apartment for one whole episode

then she will lose her desire to practice medicine, for several episodes and become completely dysfunctional

eventually she will mustard up some courage and we will have one whole episode where she stands just outside the entrance of the hospital and we hang on every minute, will she go in or not

Last edited:
deep said:
Ok,

I have a brilliant idea

how the writers will save the show

Christina will be so devastated that Burke is gone that

she will just lay on the floor of the apartment for one whole episode

then she will lose her desire to practice medicine, for several episodes and become completely dysfunctional

eventually she will mustard up some courage and we will have one whole episode where she stands just outside the entrance of the hospital and we hang on every minute, will she go in or not

Hah, good one deep. :lol:

people.com

A day after ABC announced that Isaiah Washington will not be returning to Grey's Anatomy, the show's star, Ellen Pompeo, says his dismissal was news to her.

"I woke up this morning and saw it just, I'm sure, along with everybody else," Pompeo told E!'s Ryan Seacrest in an interview Friday. "It doesn't really have a tremendous lot to do with me. So, you know, whatever is meant to be is meant to be and whatever is going to happen is going to happen – so you just have to roll with the punches."

Added Pompeo with a laugh: "They [the producers] are very secretive about things for obvious reasons: I guess actors have big mouths."

Despite the news, though, Pompeo told Seacrest that she's anticipating the show's upcoming season – though she's not sure about many of the plot points.

"I hope the quality of the writing is good and I hope the fans stay with us," she said in the interview. "We have such an amazing support group of fans and I hope we can, you know, maintain the quality for the fans and just continue to put out quality television."

MrsSpringsteen said:
people.com

A day after ABC announced that Isaiah Washington will not be returning to Grey's Anatomy, the show's star, Ellen Pompeo, says his dismissal was news to her.

"I woke up this morning and saw it just, I'm sure, along with everybody else," Pompeo told E!'s Ryan Seacrest in an interview Friday. "It doesn't really have a tremendous lot to do with me. So, you know, whatever is meant to be is meant to be and whatever is going to happen is going to happen – so you just have to roll with the punches."

Added Pompeo with a laugh: "They [the producers] are very secretive about things for obvious reasons: I guess actors have big mouths."

Despite the news, though, Pompeo told Seacrest that she's anticipating the show's upcoming season – though she's not sure about many of the plot points.

"I hope the quality of the writing is good and I hope the fans stay with us," she said in the interview. "We have such an amazing support group of fans and I hope we can, you know, maintain the quality for the fans and just continue to put out quality television."

So Ellen, you're supposed to hype your show...especially when you're the main character. You just basically admitted your show is shit and asked for pity viewing. You rock.:der:

I read an article in the L A Times

and the producers said she wanted to

"burn it all down"

so they could have a new beginning.

This could be something good, in real life we have relationships, some work and some do not.

If we are lucky we learn from them and move on and have productive full lives.

In shows like "Sex and the City" she is always pining for 'Mr Big'.

What a wasted life.

In real life people that don't move on are called "stalkers".

I feel like Burke was an expendable character, honestly. He was only really interesting when he was with Christina--and she's not going anywhere. I expected him to get canned sooner or later, and I'm just glad that it happened after the season ended and not just an abrupt departure.

I also happen to like George, Izzie, and Callie. I just think that they need to have some resolution or, at least, a new twist in this "love triangle," because it's getting old quickly. I presume, though, that that "twist" will come at the beginning of Season 4, because that's usually when they come.

I respectfully think that people need to put this into perspective. A TV show shouldn't necessarily be about caving into viewer expectations or making all the characters squeaky clean and likable. I like the fact that Meredith can be a self-centered bitch. I like that Christina can be a cold-hearted robot. I happen to think that Callie and Izzie are two flawed, but very vibrant, interesting women for completely different reasons, and I find myself understanding why George is conflicted between the two. I think the show isn't burdened by these conflicts necessarily, but is burdened by the fact that a lot of these story lines have run its course and have been dragged on for too long.

I'm hoping that a lot of this will be rectified in the next season, but who knows?

tvguide.com 6/8

Ausiello Report
Exclusive: Isaiah "Really Angry," Contemplates Lawsuit

Turns out, Isaiah Washington wasn't joking when, in response to being axed from Grey's Anatomy yesterday, he issued the Network-inspired statement, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore." In an exclusive interview, the actor's spokesperson, Howard Bragman, tells me, "Isaiah really is angry."

Particularly mystifying to the star is the timing of his ouster — months after he revived the F-word controversy by repeating the slur backstage at the Golden Globes. "If they wanted to fire him," Bragman asks, "why didn't they fire him when [the incident] happened? Why did they say, 'Here's what you need to do if you want to come back… ' and then, when he did everything that was asked of him, he still gets fired. Why do you treat somebody like that?"

"If you made a mistake, you acknowledged the mistake, you went into counseling, you met with the groups, you did the PSA, you did everything that was asked of you, and then they still kick you in the gut? How would you feel?"

While Bragman says there was no formal agreement with ABC that if Washington did X, Y and Z he could keep his job, "There was a discussion and it was agreed upon that this is what needs to be done to come back, and he did everything," he notes. "And, in fact, WE were the ones that pushed for the PSA."

Although Bragman won't rule out Washington taking possible legal action against ABC, he adds, "It would be premature to speculate. We have time to discuss that." (A rep for ABC studios declined to comment on a potential lawsuit, but a studio executive with knowledge of the TV biz says producers have the legal right to not pick up an actor's option – with or without cause.)

Might Washington, who is currently shooting the independent movie The Least of These in Los Angeles, make a brief return to Grey's to tie up Burke's loose ends? "That would be a question for ABC," Bragman says. "I certainly can't imagine they would tell him they're not renewing his contract and then ask him to come back and clean things up."

Folks, something tells me it's gonna be a long while before we get to say that other f-word about this story: finished.

Ormus said:

I respectfully think that people need to put this into perspective. A TV show shouldn't necessarily be about caving into viewer expectations or making all the characters squeaky clean and likable. I like the fact that Meredith can be a self-centered bitch. I like that Christina can be a cold-hearted robot

I agree with you and I don't want them to cave to viewers or make the characters squeaky clean and likable either. I think the issue for me is that the characters and plotlines and writing have all strayed so far from the core of what made them appealing that it is starting to become cliche and stretch the bonds of credibility. The show should reflect that humans are seriously flawed and weak and all that, but that doesn't mean the characters have to lose the core essence of what made them appealing in the first place and do complete 360's. George was always my favorite character but I knew something was wrong when I started to despise him most of the time :silent: Of course perhaps you should despise even people you're crazy about, once in a while. But just things about them, not everything lol

I haven't given up on Grey's and I still look forward to next season.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I agree with you and I don't want them to cave to viewers or make the characters squeaky clean and likable either. I think the issue for me is that the characters and plotlines and writing have all strayed so far from the core of what made them appealing that it is starting to become cliche and stretch the bonds of credibility.

Yeah, I don't mind that the characters can be unlikeable either, because that is real life. I think what's bugged me most about this last season isn't really the unlikeability but just how damn depressing the show became. I mean, Meredith alone is just ridiculous - give the woman a break already. The show was funny and quirky in the first season and they should get back to that. This constant sadness and melodrama is such a downer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom