Grey's Anatomy, Season Three - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the drama unfortunately continues:

LOS ANGELES - "Grey's Anatomy" star Katherine Heigl is taking a stand against her "Grey's" co-star Isaiah Washington after he used a homophobic slur in the Golden Globes press room on Monday night.

"I am not okay with it," Heigl told Access Hollywood's Shaun Robinson, referring to Washington's remarks.

In the Globes press room on Monday, Washington tried to set the record straight in regards to reports in October of an on-set incident that resulted from the alleged use of a homophobic slur toward co-star T.R. Knight.

After a reporter questioned the validity of the on-set incident, Washington denied his involvement saying, "No, I did not call T.R. a faggot. Never happened, never happened."

In response to Washington's use of the slur when addressing the situation last night, Heigl spoke out.

"I'm going to be really honest right now, he needs to just not speak in public. Period. I'm sorry, that did not need to be said, I'm not okay with it," Katherine told Shaun.

When asked if she thought it was just an off-the-cuff remark, Heigl added, "I have no idea what it was, I just find it hurtful…I just feel like this is something that should be very much in house we need to deal with and it's among us and the cast and crew and among Shonda [Rimes, show creator] and the producers."

Heigl said that she hoped they work the situation out, making her loyalty to Knight, who plays Dr. George O'Malley on the hit show, clear.

"I don't think [Washington] means it the way he comes off … But, T.R. is my best friend. I will throw down for that kid. I will beat you up. I will use every ounce of energy I have to take you down if you hurt his feelings," she said.

When asked if she thought Knight was hurt by Washington's comments she added, "I don't see how you could not be under those circumstances. Drawing attention to it and saying the word again is just unnecessary."

After making his comments in the press room, Washington came straight to Access Hollywood's Billy Bush and Nancy O'Dell to explain.

"There is no way I could do anything so vile, and so horrible, not only to a castmate, but to a fellow human being," he insisted.

When asked what spurred his comments on the October incident Washington told Bush, "It's the truth. It did not happen. I was going to hire some other great shiny publicist, but you know what, God laid it on my heart to say it because it was so close. The reports were all wrong. It did not happen. I'm very disappointed that the New York Post actually wrote legitimately about something that was put in a tabloid about some angry person to get some validity to this, and then it just rippled."

Washington also said that he and co-star Patrick Dempsey have moved beyond the October incident.

"I kiss Patrick Dempsey. We sing 'Ebony and Ivory' everyday since the so-called incident and it hasn't come up. We purposely sing 'Ebony and Ivory' every night since October 9 and nobody has written about it," he added.

Last edited:
do you think this will escalate further on the set because of Katherine defending him and Isaiah denying the whole thing? I can't see how this could end well. I don't know their contracts but dammit if people end up leaving the show over this, I'm gonna be so mad! :madwife:

I saw that on Access Hollywood last night, Isaiah has a problem-that was so inappropriate. You should have seen the look on TR's face :(

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah3543.shtml

people.com

T.R. Knight says hearing Isaiah Washington call him a "faggot" on the set of Grey's Anatomy gave him the courage to come out of the closet – and that he's speechless that Washington on Monday denied using the word.

In an interview with Ellen DeGeneres set to air Wednesday, Knight says something changed inside him when he overheard an argument in October between Washington and Grey's co-star Patrick Dempsey during which Washington used the slur.

"It's an awesome word, isn't it?" the 33-year-old actor tells DeGeneres sarcastically. "I've never been called that to my face. So I think when that happened, something shifted, and it became bigger than myself."

Shortly after the dustup, Knight confirmed exclusively to PEOPLE that he is gay – the kind of announcement he says isn't his style, but that he felt was necessary.

"I was under no delusions," he says. "My friends on the set knew. We talked about it. Publicly it's not my thing to call up PEOPLE magazine and be like, 'Hey, you want to know something about me?' ... I could've just let it slide and not said anything, but it became important. It became important to make the statement."

In the Golden Globe press room on Monday night, Washington denied using the slur. "No, I did not call T.R. a faggot," he told Access Hollywood. "Never happened, never happened."

That statement drew a sharp rebuke from another Grey's co-star, Katherine Heigl, who said Washington "needs to just not speak in public." And Knight tells DeGeneres he doesn't know what to make of the denial.

"I don't know what to say, really, about that," he says.

Knight also thanks DeGeneres for having the courage to come out as a lesbian 10 years ago. "It just made all the difference in the world," he says.

Last edited:
I don't understand why this is being tolerated. Had it been a racial slur or an anti-semitic slur, he'd be outta there. I absolutely wish they'd can him.

anitram said:
Had it been a racial slur or an anti-semitic slur, he'd be outta there

I said the very same thing to a friend today, and I believe it to be true. Good for Katherine for speaking out- I know she says he is her best friend, but why isn't the rest of the cast saying anything publicly after that Golden Globes incident? It's a public incident now, not just a private one anymore. That was the last straw in my opinion-the way he ran over to the microphone to say that. My understanding is that the reporter's question was addressed to TR, not Isaiah.

The look on his face was honestly heartbreaking.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Good for Katherine for speaking out- I know she says he is her best friend, but why isn't the rest of the cast saying anything publicly after that Golden Globes incident?

I wonder the same thing. I can see why PD doesn't want to get involved anymore given that he already did once (and I respect him for it). I think the others maybe don't want to attract attention to it? But really, the buck stops with Shonda Rhimes and ABC.

Absolutely, you're correct. Shonda was sort of smiling/laughing after he said it, but I would think it was merely a nervous/uncomfortable reaction.

The whole thing just makes me angry, and sad

MrsSpringsteen said:
The whole thing just makes me angry, and sad

Same here. It's very unfortunate.

I don't know how they will deal with this, but I really think that Isaiah Washington needs to take some responsibility, and shut the hell up. That would suck if he had to be fired, as I love the character he plays, but in real life his personality needs a major re-vamping.

It's too bad. TR seems like such a sweet guy, and it's a shame that there's all this attention focused on him now, when it's obvious that it's the last thing he wants.

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A gay and lesbian advocacy group demanded an apology Wednesday from "Grey's Anatomy" co-star Isaiah Washington for comments made following the Golden Globe Awards.

During a backstage interview Monday, Washington denied involvement in a heated on-set incident last year during which an anti-gay slur was reportedly uttered.

"No, I did not call (co-star) T.R. (Knight) a faggot," Washington told reporters. "Never happened, never happened."

On Wednesday, Neil Giuliano, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, said he had contacted Washington's representatives in hopes of meeting the actor to discuss "the destructive impact of these kinds of anti-gay slurs."

"Washington's repeated use of it on-set and in the media is simply inexcusable," Giuliano said in a statement.

Washington's publicist declined comment Wednesday.

What an awesome ep!

I cried for George. :sad: I loved the scene of him yelling at the Chief and Bailey. Broke my heart.

What a tear jerker!!!! So sad. Poor George, but next week he seems to be doing ok.

What is the 3 surprises next week?

:hmm:

Now was Addison pregnant with Marks baby before Derek left her or was this after on the few times Addison and Mark hooked up?

anitram said:
What an awesome ep!

I cried for George. :sad: I loved the scene of him yelling at the Chief and Bailey. Broke my heart.

And the scene of George making the decision about his father for his family ... so sad. :sad: And Bailey was so heartbroken for him.

And then (but wait, there was more!), Christina welcoming him into the club of those of us who have lost our parents. :sad: :sad:

Best half of the two-parter. Can't wait to see it again.

JCOSTER said:
Now was Addison pregnant with Marks baby before Derek left her or was this after on the few times Addison and Mark hooked up?

Addison told Callie the abortion was eight months ago and her due date would have been that very day.

Still, I'm confused here, people. I know this show isn't exactly set in real time, but hasn't Addison been in Seattle for a year? :confused:

Last edited:
I moved the tissue box to within arms reach before the show started. Just had a feeling. I finished off the box and had to start a new one. :sad: :sad: :sad:

jobob said:

Addison told Callie the abortion was eight months ago and her due date would have been that very day.

Still, I'm confused here, people. I know this show isn't exactly set in real time, but hasn't Addison been in Seattle for a year? :confused:

It seems like she has been in Seattle for a year if not a little more. So thats why it seems like it was after she and Derek called it quits for good.

I bet more of that story line will come out sooner or later.

During the scene with George and Burke, I kept thinking about their personal feelings and how that must have been for TR to film that.

Also, I think it was way too soon for me to watch something like that. I cried like a baby. :(

Doozer61 said:
During the scene with George and Burke, I kept thinking about their personal feelings and how that must have been for TR to film that.

Also, I think it was way too soon for me to watch something like that. I cried like a baby. :(

I was thinking that too doozer, how it was for TR to film that scene with Burke

And I'm sorry about how you felt watching that scene with his Dad, for your personal stuff :hug:

It was a great episode, but I was a sobbing mess. :sad: I had heard it was a tear-jerker, so I made sure to have lots of kleenex nearby.

Anything to do with dad's being sick or dying really breaks my heart. TR did an amazing job with the scenes he was in - he is a fabulous actor. :love:

wow if I said I didn't cry, I would totally be lying. :sad: I kept hoping that somehow they would have his dad pull out of it. and I also realized that I must have missed an episode or two along the way. then again I still haven't finished season 2 yet either.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I was thinking that too doozer, how it was for TR to film that scene with Burke

Aw, me too. It proves he's a professional who can rise above whatever was happening to him on set.

TR and Washington had some great scenes together in the first two seasons. I fondly remember the whole Burke choosing O'Malley as 'my guy' thing, and how Burke and O'Malley actually did become friends. And then O'Malley moved in with Burke (and Christina) after the Meredith fiasco. Good times, good times ... at least for me watching at home. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom