Grey's Anatomy, Season Three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsSpringsteen said:
I loved when someone said McDreamy's sister is McBitchy-I think it was Izzy. How bad is it that I can't even remember? She was an interesting character.

:up: Yes!!!! I loved that McBitchy comment Izzy made! I laffed so loud when I heard that, what a great line!

Next week's episode.........CAMPING!!! :drool:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yeah he's disgusting-they should just have him get out of the shower every week and have no dialogue

Mrs S :love:

I finally saw this today. Pretty great episode, I thought. And well, didn't they say that Patrick Dempsey was going to be in seven episodes this season? So, this was what, four? That's going to suck, but he needs some space if he and Mer are ever going to get together. ;)

I love Izzy. She's me if I were a doctor, seriously. (See? :lol: )

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

And well, didn't they say that Patrick Dempsey was going to be in seven episodes this season?

No, that was Chris O'Donnell (I think he was supposed to be in 8 eps spread over last year and this year).

I really want Alex and Addison to get together. That could be hot. Am I the only one? :drool:

I saw it today. Not happy with the episode, it's been the most disapointing one of a let-down season. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy myself, but I found myself less engaged because of stupid plot devices (using 3 patients to enlighten 3 doctors with mirror problems) and the growing innacuracies: Christina and Burke should have been busted by now, Izzy much as I love her shouldn't have such an easy road... Plus the music is not nearly as good, which I particularly noticed at the beginning of this episode - it sounded nothing like the usual feel of music for the show, whcih blends nicely. I will say that Bailey is just making my heart melt, poor woman, and it will be interesting and probably good for her to get her grove back when she disciplines Christina. And I really like Alex's character development.

A camping trip??? What the hell? Can all the best surgeons just up and leave together? I'll hold my tongue until next week. But McSteamy needs a good smackin' from Meredith.

I finally got to see the episode. I was so busy I didn't have a chance to watch it until today, because I'm home sick. I recognized McDreamy's sister from Bridget Jones right away, but it took me a few seconds as she didn't have an English accent.

I feel so bad for Bailey, but I know Cristina's gonna get her ass kicked for what she's done.

Next week looks interesting. Can't wait to see what happens when all the men go camping! :laugh:

I have to say I agree with all of this, especially the Bailey part

Prescriptions for an ailing 'Anatomy'

By Matthew Gilbert, Boston Globe Staff | November 8, 2006

"Grey's Anatomy" is exhibiting signs of a debilitating illness known as Shark-jump-itis Waterski-us, more commonly referred to as self-parody. And now that November sweeps are heating up, and networks and writers are itchy-scratchy for more viewers, the symptoms are bound to worsen. However, with early detection and behavior modification, the top-rated ABC series could go on to live a healthy, happy, and, of course, humorously narcissistic life.

It's almost a cliche by now. America falls for a show like "Grey's Anatomy," the ratings soar, the media buzz grows deafening, and finally the product becomes infected and compromised by its own fame. "Desperate Housewives" succumbed in record time, as creator Marc Cherry lost his original vision amid the hype of his first season.

Now that bug is threatening "Grey's Anatomy" creator Shonda Rhimes, and what was once fresh is starting to feel like a factory-made version of itself. Rhimes's whimsy is at risk of becoming formulaic, her romantic circles are spiraling out of control, and her self-interested characters are taking over. She may be listening more to the celebratory hype around "Grey's Anatomy" than her own muse.

My first healing suggestion: Free Bailey!

Dr. Miranda Bailey should be ruling the roost, barking and biting, and not wallowing like so many of her young doctors. The newbies on "Grey's Anatomy" are all about Seattle Grace gossip and their own sex lives, and that self-absorption is entertaining, particularly since it counteracts the heroic approach to doctoring on the likes of "ER."

But we could always count on Dr. Bailey to burst the others' self-centered bubbles. This season, however, she has succumbed to the vacuum. My theory is that Rhimes is trying to help actress Chandra Wilson win an Emmy, letting her feverishly emote outside the locked room of a "plague" victim in one episode. Bailey has gone from telling George to stop looking at her "va-jay-jay" to moping guiltily with Izzie.

Recommendation #2: Give us George back, too.

McSweetie has gone from the only selfless and lovable character to just another me-me-me-aholic. Like Bailey, he has fallen into the show's maw of codependent self-absorption, as his on-offs with Callie lack the backbone he once had. Rhimes has wisely kept Meredith dislikable and yet McDreamy's object of desire, which is a critical part of what makes this show crisp; but she has futzed with George to no good end.

A third note: Incest is not best.

One irritating side effect of most ensemble series is insularity -- in this case, only a handful of doctors seem to run the entire hospital. But the romantic interconnectedness within the "Grey's Anatomy" gang is growing particularly busy, with Meredith, Derek, Addison, Mark, Callie, and George forming a chain of fools that loops all the way back around. Seattle Grace's interlocking ménage has gone from kooky and soapy to just plain ridiculous.

Also romantically ridiculous: That Finn and Derek would be so smitten with Meredith they'd agree to co-date her. That plot pushed the show's female point-of-view to the limits. Rhimes needs to be very careful about her approach to Derek and Meredith. Ross and Rachel of "Friends" are the great cautionary tale of on-again, off-again romance on TV. By the time they finally got together for good, they seemed more like brother and sister than lovers.

A fourth prescription: Break up the meter.

The "Grey's Anatomy" dialogue that was stylish at first, with its repeating sentence structures and phrases, has started to sound robotic and precious. Aaron Sorkin of "The West Wing" and "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" also has this tic. "This is not dating," Meredith said when Finn accosted her during a date with Derek. "I want moonlight, and flowers, and candy, and people trying to feel me up. Nobody is trying to feel me up. Nobody is even looking at me." The rhythm is the same for all the characters, something that happens in a Woody Allen movie when everyone starts to sound like Allen himself. Even Callie, the un-Meredith in many ways, is starting to speak like the rest.

Meredith's voiceovers, in which she waxes poetic about "pain" and "guilt" while trying to make each episode seem like it was so well-written that it has a single theme, are also getting monotonous. It may be time for them to go.

Fifth and finally: Keep both eyes on your prize.

Creator-writer-producer David E. Kelley may be the poster child for TV auteurs whose work has succumbed to self-parody. Instead of pushing forward with his vision on "Ally McBeal," he took what was exciting about it and put that on a sample loop. Meanwhile, he moved his interest and inspiration into other projects, letting others re-create his magic.

Rhimes is now at a similar crossroads, as she creates a new pilot about broadcast journalism (starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Denny on "Grey's") and has to start splitting her time between two series.

"Grey's Anatomy" isn't built to run on automatic pilot like the "CSI" or "Law & Order" shows. That's what makes it special -- the excitement of a particular writer discovering new territory. Like "Ally McBeal," Rhimes's creation is of a more fragile constitution than most dramas, and it requires care to stay fit.

who's bringing the marshmallows?
marshmallows.jpg

Bath time next week! :drool: :drool:

Just when I think Mark can't sink any lower, he does. And in the Canadian promo for next week, he's hitting on Izzie. The man has got to be a walking STD.

Good episode tonight, but I can't wait until next week! A hot bathtub scene, and what looks like something happening between Alex & Izzie. :drool: God how I love sweeps! :wink:

Very good episode, rather ironic with the fight and the gay subplot before and during huh?

Loved Bailey being back to original Bailey again

The baby story was gut wrenching, I found it almost impossible to watch :sad:

I agree with MrsS... Funny how the whole camping plot unfolded, given what's happened in real life.

Mark is grossing me out more and more each week. I don't care how many sexy looks he's got in him, either. Derek's messed up, but at least he's not a walking disease.

Speaking of Derek, I thought the ending was a little too cutesy.

I agree with MrsS... Funny how the whole camping plot unfolded, given what's happened in real life.

Mark is grossing me out more and more each week. I don't care how many sexy looks he's got in him, either. Derek's messed up, but at least he's not a walking disease.

Speaking of Derek, I thought the ending was a little too cutesy.

Really, I thought it was cute, I am so confused sometimes, he tells Mer he loves her, she chooses him, he walks away, he needs time, now he wants to start over?

JCOSTER said:

Really, I thought it was cute, I am so confused sometimes, he tells Mer he loves her, she chooses him, he walks away, he needs time, now he wants to start over?

In other words, he's acting like a man. ;)

And if Meredith was a different kind of person, she might have told him to take a long walk off of a short plank by now, but the reason they're drawn to each other is because they're so much alike...

In other words, he's acting like a man. ;)

And if Meredith was a different kind of person, she might have told him to take a long walk off of a short plank by now, but the reason they're drawn to each other is because they're so much alike...

True acting like a man....but I don't think if I was her I could tell McDreamy to take a long walk.:der:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom