Grey's Anatomy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't home last Thursday and just downloaded the premier from iTunes; so I haven't seen it yet. :slant:

I have read your "I'm done"/"I'm not quite done" comments. I'm willing to give the show another chance. :shrug:

But I may end up watching The Office at 9 p.m. Thursdays if things aren't markedly better from the season 3 finale trainwreck ... :sigh:

I thought the episode was OK. Don't like Callie. Why is Meredith ignoring her half sister? That newcomer seemed to dominate the show! I also thought the whole thing with the dear was over the top, I mean come on.....what are the chances of that really happening?!! But then the "Bambi" reference between Izzie and George (of themselves no less) was the tie in to the deer sequence? I'm confused. Nonetheless, it was the first episode so I give it more time and hopefully amp up the writing. The music didn't even seem as brilliant as it's been in past.

seriously not liking Meredith's behavior toward Lexie. understandable to an extent but she just sounds so bitchy. I like "Mama" Burke's character but it's hard to end the storyline with Burke without well...Burke. still hoping there will be a chance for a healthier relationship with Derek and Mer. Bailey still rocks.

I liked tonight's episode a lot. Definitely better than last week's was.

But whole George/Izzie/Callie mess needs to go away, immediately if not sooner. I'm sick of all three of them (and I used to like Callie too...).

Okay, Merideth pretty much had a nervous breakdown when Derek went back with Addison, now shes in a relationship with him and can't love him. :scratch:

She's crazy, get some therapy already. I guess Derek realizes he could do better? But then again she seems to be crazy about him and love him. I am very confused with them. :confused:

anitram said:

But whole George/Izzie/Callie mess needs to go away, immediately if not sooner. I'm sick of all three of them (and I used to like Callie too...).

Ditto! :up:

Mama Burke's nostrils were very distracting. :reject:

anitram said:

Agree on both counts. They still need some new directions, I'm just tired of the same old ones being dragged out-same old situations between the main characters. It feels so stale :slant:

I didn't watch Private Practice, I think it's on again tonight but so is baseball. Maybe it's on abc.com

I agree, this weeks episode was quite the improvement from last week. And I liked that they got back to (and actually made it work, mind you)the whole episode theme thing they used to do, that's been lacking for awhile.

And the whole izzie,calliie/george thing still bugs me.

As for Merideth, I really don't have any problem with how she's treating Lexie. I mean, I don't approve in the sense that it's not very nice, but it's competely understandable and in line with her character.
Not that Lexie deserves it, but for Mer, think of what Lexie represents to her.

On that note, Grey's has earned my viewership for another week.

Because the networks are cheating.

There is a little known rule that if you air the same episode within the same week, and the exact same commercials both times, you can aggregate the ratings. Networks use this to artificially boost their audience numbers, both for bragging rights and for advertising dollars. NBC famously did it with Heroes in their season opener and artificially increased the audience by 3 million.

Well, Thursday was an improvement! That's more like the Grey's I knew and loved for a year and a half!

Except for the George/Callie/Izzie triangle. :yuck: George leaving Callie? Callie suddenly a shrewish, incompetent, needy mess? :no: :down: The only part I can believe is Izzie being stupid. :angry:

tiny dancer said:
Why do they have to have repeat of the the show of last night's (Thursday) tonight? :shrug:

They've done that with Grey's for awhile now. It's obviously a ratings ploy. Thing is, I used to find it handy once, when I was more in love with the show and would occasionally miss a Thursday episode. Now, not so much.

Oh my..

bed_l.jpg

Here are the rest

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20151427,00.html

I think I have to get that issue

I HATE Gizzie! It's completely ruined the show! I can deal with Meredith being annoying and whiny, and even the stupid addition of her sister, but this Gizzie stuff is so ridiculous! I hate every second of it!!!

jobob said:
Except for the George/Callie/Izzie triangle. :yuck: George leaving Callie? Callie suddenly a shrewish, incompetent, needy mess? :no: :down: The only part I can believe is Izzie being stupid. :angry:

The only thing I'm confused about--and this reflects the larger thread here, not just this post--is this unrealistic insistence that the characters remain exactly the same as established in season one. That is, you want the characters to be flat archetypes with no sense of character development or growth--both of which are generally accepted prerequisites for storytelling.

It may be, as well, that many of you think that these characters are not, in fact, "growing," but, instead, "reverting." That is not how I have seen it. The "growth" I have seen is, nonetheless, "unconventional." Rather than taking a group of "bad" people and turning them "good," they are, instead, taking a group of "overachieving robots" (as one could refer to someone who has chosen years of academic studies over developing a social life) and turning them "human."

It's a sentiment, in particular, that I've been able to identify with, and that's probably why I find myself defending this show as much as I have here. The "progress" is in watching these very "book smart" group of doctors fumble their way through learning about life. I could argue that this kind of lesson has a typically American anti-intellectual undertone to it, but I've enjoyed the ride so far.

Just when you think you might like Alex.....he turns into a bastard again.

And how many freak'in commercials can there possibly be....one commercial break was 7 minutes!!!

melon said:

It may be, as well, that many of you think that these characters are not, in fact, "growing," but, instead, "reverting." That is not how I have seen it. The "growth" I have seen is, nonetheless, "unconventional." Rather than taking a group of "bad" people and turning them "good," they are, instead, taking a group of "overachieving robots" (as one could refer to someone who has chosen years of academic studies over developing a social life) and turning them "human."

That may very well make sense but I don't think it applies to a character like Callie. Here is a woman who is a 4th year resident, who had an established personality, an established career (that she was obviously good at or she wouldn't be CR right now), and who was written as a strong, independent woman. This is not the story of the over-achieving intern who is tossed into the working environment with a God complex and who changes for better or worse as reality hits.

This is my only complaint - I can buy Izzie and George (although how he bedded all those women is beyond me as I have no idea what they see in him; all I want to do is slap him). I understand Meredith completely, I understand Lexie and Alex and Cristina. I don't think they're poorly written and in fact, they are more complex because they are so flawed. But Callie, sorry, I don't buy a complete personality transplant, especially given that on the show, maybe half a year has elapsed since she even showed up. It's really unrealistic and she's grating on my last nerve.

I did like the Meredith/Lexie scenes today. That relationship comes across as real and I find them both likeable and their reactions to each other are about what I expect.

anitram said:
That may very well make sense but I don't think it applies to a character like Callie. Here is a woman who is a 4th year resident, who had an established personality, an established career (that she was obviously good at or she wouldn't be CR right now), and who was written as a strong, independent woman. This is not the story of the over-achieving intern who is tossed into the working environment with a God complex and who changes for better or worse as reality hits.

I don't see Callie being an exception to the "overachieving robot" status, as, looking at the entire cast of this show, regardless of status, they're all "robots"--from interns all the way to the chief of surgery.

And perhaps one can make the argument that this is yet another example of how women are denigrated professionally on TV. On the other hand, the male "professionals" on this show are just as full of emotional baggage.

For what it's worth, I believe this situation with Callie is temporary, and I believe that she will regain most of her original strength again. That does appear to be the direction this show is going, particularly after having seen this week's episode. But she's obviously in a funk, and the larger lesson this show is trying to convey is that even "robots" have emotional issues--a lesson that every character on this show, not just the female characters, seems to be dealing with one way or another.

melon said:

And perhaps one can make the argument that this is yet another example of how women are denigrated professionally on TV. On the other hand, the male "professionals" on this show are just as full of emotional baggage.

That's a good and correct point, but it still bugs me sometimes to see some of the women behave in certain ways-like Cristina throwing away her professional ethics last season over Burke. Then again women do that sometimes. To me she was always the strongest female character who resisted that sort of thing then bingo, it happened to her. Maybe it just holds up too much of a mirror to us sometimes that we don't really want to look into.

I did enjoy last night's episode, but as JC mentioned, what the f was with all the commercials??! Alex was really likeable and then bam, jerk Alex again. I feel that Christina's character has lost her sense of purpose without Burke now. I liked that Mer finally opened up a teeny bit to Lexie and the coldness seemed to go away for a moment at the end. George yelling at Izzie to shut up, loved it. she's been so whiny about George telling Callie it's over. Glad he finally admitted he slept with Izzie though.

Alex sticking that needle in the kid's head :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom