Green Street Hooligans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
I want to see this film.

http://www.hooligansthefilm.com/

[q]Exclusive: Green Street Hooligans Trailer

http://media.filmforce.ign.com/media/762/762690/vids_1.html
Elijah Wood finds the dark side of soccer.
by IGN FilmForce

July 29, 2005 - Elijah Wood's next flick the British football-themed drama, Green Street Hooligans, opens in select cities on September 9th. We've got an exclusive first look at the trailer for the movie here on IGN FilmForce. Click the link below to check it out!

Wood plays American Matt Buckner, a young man who's been unfairly expelled from Harvard University. Fleeing to England to visit his sister (Claire Forlani), Buckner befriends her charming and dangerous brother-in-law, Pete Dunham (Charlie Hunnam), and is subsequently introduced to the underworld of British football hooliganism. Matt learns to stand his ground through a friendship that develops against the backdrop of this secret and often violent world.

Director and co-screenwriter Lexi Alexander sets the flick up this way: "This film is about camaraderie and friendship, somewhat of a traditional friendship that is kind of dying out. I've always been attracted to stories like that. It happens a lot in war movies but this one was contemporary so that's what really attracted me to it. There's a lot of action in it but it is much more about the love between these guys and their dedication to each other. Basically they'd give their life for each other and they live in an environment where that sacrifice can be required."

When Wood first joined the project, he had very little knowledge of "football." He says the initial experience of watching West Ham play was electrifying. "There are few adjectives to describe it," he says. "I mean it really is unlike any sporting event I've ever been to in my life. There's this kinetic energy that runs through the crowd both before and during a game. We don't really have anything quite like that in America, there is certainly an energy about going to see a live sporting event, basketball is fantastic, but there's nothing more exciting than going to a football match."

The Lord of the Rings star says he took the role in Hooligans because of the strength of the character. "When I read the script," says Wood, "though I wasn't necessarily familiar with the context of the story, the character of Matt was intriguing to me because he starts off as this innocent and essentially becomes a hooligan by the end of the film and that character arc, and the world in which it takes place, really intrigued me. Plus smaller movies appeal to me in general because I think that there's often more opportunity for interesting character development with adventurous story telling and more intimate character relationships."

[/q]

and I also see that another football movie is coming out soon:

http://www.goalthemovie.com/main.html

Last edited:
well here is your first review!

good film in all. very violent in parts but also very well acted (although i must point out that one of the lead characters has one of the worst cockney accents i've ever seen on film, he's clearly not from London). it's exactly the same genre and set as The Football Factory but about 1000 times better than it because this actually has a plot. it's also a realistic take on anglo-american relations and working class life.

i'd reccommend seeing it.

and yes i would expect West Ham fans to be quite annoyed at their portrayal:wink:

I read a pretty good book a few years back about the "football hooligans" and the former American journalist who wrote the book, wrote most of the book on West ham fans.

It was one of the most fascinating "horror" reads I have ever read.

i couldn't imagine Bill Bryson writing about football hooligans. but if he has then i'll be buying it, i worship that man!

Actually I've got my Bills mixed up.

It's Bill Buford, not Bill Bryson, who I thought was the drummer in Black Sabbath for some reason; that, of course, was Bill Ward. My bad.

It's probably the book zoney was talking about though, about an American writer living in London and investigating football hooliganism. I remember Nick Hornby discussing it in 'Fever Pitch', which is a really lovely book.

this is out? i read something about it a while ago, but i think it was just rumored to be in progress at the time. it sounded cool. i'd see it.

Back
Top Bottom