Green Day's American Idiot - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Green Day's American Idiot

Has anyone else heard this yet? I am listening to it right now. I have been through it twice and it is great. Even though it is a concept album and tells a long, kinda decipherable story, it is also unbelieveably catchy. There are several songs that are already standing out for me.

I have always enjoyed their songs but am not a big Green Day fan ( I only own Dookie which I bought way back when). I would really recommend it.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 03:53 AM
That is so weird that you posted that 'cause I just finished writing something about this in my journal and was debating if I should write something here or not but I see that you have beat me to it lovely.

They did a good version of the song last night on Letterman

Old 09-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:53 AM
I'm glad you posted this...I was debating with myself whether or not I wanted to buy it. I'm not a big green day fan but i do like some of their songs.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
Refugee

Hope you enjoy. I was not sure if I was going to buy it, but it was only $9.99 at Best Buy. The cheap price usually convinces me when I am unsure.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:53 PM
I got it for 10 bucks at Circuit City, along with the new Elvis Costello album (I know that goes against some sort of code about credibility, but my attitude is now that I listen to what I like despite credibility and integrity issues. After all, Green Day may have left the "punk" world behind years ago, but how many other "sell-out" bands are gonna have the balls to do something as anti-commerical as a pop-punk-rock-opera? I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
New Yorker

I like the Amnerican Idiot song and will buy the album b/c of it. $9.99 convinced me too...
Old 09-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:53 PM
did fat mike write that fucking piece of trash for them? sorry, i like some green day, but this is boring 'oooh i hate bush' bangwagon pop-punk SHIT. don't waste you money on these fucks.

that's my take on the song...as for the rest of the album, i can't comment as i plan to never hear the rest of it.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:50 PM   #8
Refugee

Useful comments. We are all enthralled by your critique.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:41 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

i love your sarcasm.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:44 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Simmer down now. I like the album, I think it works very well, and yes, lots of bands are jumping on the bandwagon, but it's not just a pop punk thing, look at the whole Sprinsteen/Pearl Jam/DMB/REM/everyotherband tour thing
Old 09-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
New Yorker

This album is about George Bush?!?!
Old 09-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

oh yeah, i know. i'm just tired of nofx trying to tell me how to vote (i'm voting kerry, but i'm voting kerry cos i decided that for myself, not cos someone else told me to). it's one thing when it's REM, et. al. i don't like that either, but i'm already accustomed to hearing that stuff from bands like them. eddie vedder loves his soap box, last election wasn't he doing things like leading chants of 'nader! nader!' (who's name i suddenly can't remember how to spell...nader...nadar...shit...) and between-song-banter-ing about hanging out with some friends in northampton, MA talking about politics?

i still don't like being told how to think by those guys, but it bothers me more when bands who's songs were whiney little pop-punk tunes about girls and masturbation a few years ago, are now going all political cos that's what sells. i saw far too many kids walking around at the warped tour wearing 'not my president' shirts, yet eating domino's pizza. if they really had any clue about anything, you'd think they'd chose not to patronize a fastfood chain that openly supports the administration you've dubbed the new 'evil empire'.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
This album is about George Bush?!?!
no, but didn't you listen to the song? you're one of the many in an idiot nation that billie joe doesn't want to be a part of. now can that really be about anything else? no, i didn't think so.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:58 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think with Green Day specifically though, they've started leaning away from that sort of songwriting a long time ago. I mean, this is the most overtly political they've been, but they're 15 years removed from 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and 10 from Dookie.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:16 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

fair enough. 'warning' was actually pretty different musically than what i'd expect, but since the overall sound of the song 'american idiot' seems to harken back to the days of 'at the library' (ironically, possibly one of my favorites of theirs), the comparisson felt applicable.