Green Day's American Idiot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsp77

Refugee
Has anyone else heard this yet? I am listening to it right now. I have been through it twice and it is great. Even though it is a concept album and tells a long, kinda decipherable story, it is also unbelieveably catchy. There are several songs that are already standing out for me.

I have always enjoyed their songs but am not a big Green Day fan ( I only own Dookie which I bought way back when). I would really recommend it.

That is so weird that you posted that 'cause I just finished writing something about this in my journal and was debating if I should write something here or not but I see that you have beat me to it lovely.

They did a good version of the song last night on Letterman

Hope you enjoy. I was not sure if I was going to buy it, but it was only $9.99 at Best Buy. The cheap price usually convinces me when I am unsure. :wink:

I got it for 10 bucks at Circuit City, along with the new Elvis Costello album (I know that goes against some sort of code about credibility, but my attitude is now that I listen to what I like despite credibility and integrity issues. After all, Green Day may have left the "punk" world behind years ago, but how many other "sell-out" bands are gonna have the balls to do something as anti-commerical as a pop-punk-rock-opera? I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

did fat mike write that fucking piece of trash for them? sorry, i like some green day, but this is boring 'oooh i hate bush' bangwagon pop-punk SHIT. don't waste you money on these fucks.

that's my take on the song...as for the rest of the album, i can't comment as i plan to never hear the rest of it.

Simmer down now. I like the album, I think it works very well, and yes, lots of bands are jumping on the bandwagon, but it's not just a pop punk thing, look at the whole Sprinsteen/Pearl Jam/DMB/REM/everyotherband tour thing

oh yeah, i know. i'm just tired of nofx trying to tell me how to vote (i'm voting kerry, but i'm voting kerry cos i decided that for myself, not cos someone else told me to). it's one thing when it's REM, et. al. i don't like that either, but i'm already accustomed to hearing that stuff from bands like them. eddie vedder loves his soap box, last election wasn't he doing things like leading chants of 'nader! nader!' (who's name i suddenly can't remember how to spell...nader...nadar...shit...) and between-song-banter-ing about hanging out with some friends in northampton, MA talking about politics?

i still don't like being told how to think by those guys, but it bothers me more when bands who's songs were whiney little pop-punk tunes about girls and masturbation a few years ago, are now going all political cos that's what sells. i saw far too many kids walking around at the warped tour wearing 'not my president' shirts, yet eating domino's pizza. if they really had any clue about anything, you'd think they'd chose not to patronize a fastfood chain that openly supports the administration you've dubbed the new 'evil empire'.

Flying FuManchu said:
This album is about George Bush?!?!

no, but didn't you listen to the song? you're one of the many in an idiot nation that billie joe doesn't want to be a part of. now can that really be about anything else? no, i didn't think so.

I think with Green Day specifically though, they've started leaning away from that sort of songwriting a long time ago. I mean, this is the most overtly political they've been, but they're 15 years removed from 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and 10 from Dookie.

fair enough. 'warning' was actually pretty different musically than what i'd expect, but since the overall sound of the song 'american idiot' seems to harken back to the days of 'at the library' (ironically, possibly one of my favorites of theirs), the comparisson felt applicable.

I listened to it and read some music review that described Bush as the American Idiot in this album or the band was referring to him as such.

You then go on to say, (IWasBored), "sorry, i like some green day, but this is boring 'oooh i hate bush' bangwagon pop-punk SHIT. don't waste you money on these fucks."

Well then I replied for fun.

I caught some of the lyrics when I watched the song on TV but didn't really "listen to the lyrics." It had a good melody, nice rhythm, etc... = Probably buy it....

I don't mind being called an American idiot.

USA! USA! USA!

IWasBored said:
oh yeah, i know. i'm just tired of nofx trying to tell me how to vote (i'm voting kerry, but i'm voting kerry cos i decided that for myself, not cos someone else told me to). it's one thing when it's REM, et. al. i don't like that either, but i'm already accustomed to hearing that stuff from bands like them. eddie vedder loves his soap box, last election wasn't he doing things like leading chants of 'nader! nader!' (who's name i suddenly can't remember how to spell...nader...nadar...shit...) and between-song-banter-ing about hanging out with some friends in northampton, MA talking about politics?

i still don't like being told how to think by those guys, but it bothers me more when bands who's songs were whiney little pop-punk tunes about girls and masturbation a few years ago, are now going all political cos that's what sells. i saw far too many kids walking around at the warped tour wearing 'not my president' shirts, yet eating domino's pizza. if they really had any clue about anything, you'd think they'd chose not to patronize a fastfood chain that openly supports the administration you've dubbed the new 'evil empire'.

This post has some actual substance to it, so I apologize for my earlier sarcasm. Your first post gave me the impression that you were one of the die-hard Bush supporters who lash out even before they know why they are lashing out. And, I am not saying all Bush supporters are like this, just certain die-hards. I am too tired right now to argue. :yawn:

I dont think Bush has much, if anything, to do with IWasBored's reply. She is one of our punk purists and has amazing acidity at times :up:

It's all good. :)

I wondered if Green Day were coming out with a new song and album soon. I keep hearing that godawful yet painfully catchy song about peeling himself off the velcro seat. I have 2 of their albums - but you think I can remember anything more? Ha, :|

yeah, i'm the fartherst thing from being a bush supporter, believe me. hell, i was registered to vote with the green part for about a year (then it dawned on me i can't vote in primaries unless i'm registered democrat).

the only thing bush has to do with my reply is that i hate the bandwagon that all pop-punk has jumped onto lately. this bandwagon seems to be driven by none other than one FAT MIKE from nofx/fet wrech chords fame. the label putting out the rock against bush compilations. while i really hate bush..blah blah blah, read what i said before, and then go check out the dropkick murphys article unforgettablelemon posted in the flogging molly thread for an illustration of how it's possible to be on that comp and still not go around a commercialized punk rock show like the warped tour with a fistfull of pizza and a 30-dollar 'W. - american terrorist' shirt.

IWasBored said:
did fat mike write that fucking piece of trash for them? sorry, i like some green day, but this is boring 'oooh i hate bush' bangwagon pop-punk SHIT. don't waste you money on these fucks.

that's my take on the song...as for the rest of the album, i can't comment as i plan to never hear the rest of it.

I understand and appreciate your opinion however there are Green Day fans out there and for you to try and convince them not to spend their money is well..a little harsh. I don't go around telling everyone to stop buying Xtina or Britney albums 'cause I do not like them. The great thing about music is that each can take something of their own. Everyone has the right to spend their hard earned money how they wish. If you do not like Green Day or any other album, that is cool, don't buy it but let those who want to..be.

IWasBored said:
yeah, i'm the fartherst thing from being a bush supporter, believe me. hell, i was registered to vote with the green part for about a year (then it dawned on me i can't vote in primaries unless i'm registered democrat).

the only thing bush has to do with my reply is that i hate the bandwagon that all pop-punk has jumped onto lately. this bandwagon seems to be driven by none other than one FAT MIKE from nofx/fet wrech chords fame. the label putting out the rock against bush compilations. while i really hate bush..blah blah blah, read what i said before, and then go check out the dropkick murphys article unforgettablelemon posted in the flogging molly thread for an illustration of how it's possible to be on that comp and still not go around a commercialized punk rock show like the warped tour with a fistfull of pizza and a 30-dollar 'W. - american terrorist' shirt.

I honestly do not think that these punk bands are jumping on any sort of bandwagon 'cause of what Fat Mike has said. He is not the most influential punk icon. I honestly think that these are the sentiments of most people and it took one person to do and the others followed 'cause they felt comfortable doing so in mases. People in general feel better protesting in mases. I hate the term "Bandwagon". You know nothing about the bands personally and what they really think. And even if they are jumping on a bandwagon, they are brining awareness to a younger generation who seem to think that their vote does not count.

isabelle_guns said:

I don't go around telling everyone to stop buying Xtina or Britney albums 'cause I do not like them.

hey, i KNOW music is 100% about personal taste, but i'm an elitist snob, so yeah, i do do shit like that. and if you don't like it, fuck you.

Bunbury said:
Greenday still relevant? :huh:
I thought they were done after Dookie.

All music is relevant. No they were not done after Dookie, they released a few more albums after that, sold well and had airplay with a few more singles. BTW please explain to me the meaning behind relevance 'cause I hate it when people make comments like, "are they relevant" without knowing exactly what they are talking about. A band is a band who makes music for people that enjoy them.

IWasBored said:

hey, i KNOW music is 100% about personal taste, but i'm an elitist snob, so yeah, i do do shit like that. and if you don't like it, fuck you.

No need to be hostile, I wasn't. I said that I appreciate your opinion and explained my point of view so settle down. Not only are you an elitist snob (your words, not mine) you need to learn some a lesson or two in manners.

isabelle_guns said:

I honestly do not think that these punk bands are jumping on any sort of bandwagon 'cause of what Fat Mike has said. He is not the most influential punk icon. I honestly think that these are the sentiments of most people and it took one person to do and the others followed 'cause they felt comfortable doing so in mases. People in general feel better protesting in mases. I hate the term "Bandwagon". You know nothing about the bands personally and what they really think. And even if they are jumping on a bandwagon, they are brining awareness to a younger generation who seem to think that their vote does not count.

1. fat mike isn't influential? what rock do you live under? fat wreck chord is the second largest punk rock label out there now, and he's arguably more infuential than brett guerewitz at epitaph.

2. most of these kids are 15, 16 they can't vote anyway. or if they are 18 and older, they're all over the internet saying that they will shell out 10 bucks for rock against bush II, but won't be voting cos they still don't believe their vote counts.

2a. i'm all for voter awareness. i like the idea behind this stuff i'm complaining about, i just don't like the fact that all of a sudden it's the "in" thing to do, be on one of these comps or do a tour for punkvoter.org. no, i don't know what the bands themselves think, and i don't recall claiming to.

Last edited:
isabelle_guns said:

No need to be hostile, I wasn't. I said that I appreciate your opinion and explained my point of view so settle down. Not only are you an elitist snob (your words, not mine) you need to learn some a lesson or two in manners.

fuck manners, this is the internet, and you appear to be trying to pick a fight with me.

i'm not saying that it's good when people tell each other to fuck off left and right and hide behind the computer screen, but sometimes u2 fans really take things way too personally. no need to get offended by every little thing i say.

Last edited:
isabelle_guns said:

All music is relevant. No they were not done after Dookie, they released a few more albums after that, sold well and had airplay with a few more singles. BTW please explain to me the meaning behind relevance 'cause I hate it when people make comments like, "are they relevant" without knowing exactly what they are talking about. A band is a band who makes music for people that enjoy them.

again i disagree with you (although i don't necessarily agree with bunbury either), but since this is bunbury's question, i'll let him tackle the issue of relevancy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom