Green Day wins Album of the Year???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medmo

The Fly
I may be way off, and I'm not posting this because I'm a huge Green Day fan, although I did pick up American Idiot the other day and like it a lot. I think there's a good chance they may actually win, though, due to other albums cancelling each other out.

In 2002, for example, U2, Dylan, Outkast, India.Aire, and O Brother Where Art Thou were nominated. A lot of people believed that the reason U2, who were the heavy favorite, didn't win was because U2 and Dylan, acts who would get votes from rock voters, cancelled each other out. Likewise Outkast and India.Aire with people more likely to vote for urban music. O brother represented the only genre that didn't have any competition in the category. It likely got the lion's share of votes from those more apt to support country/folk/roots music, as well as a number of votes from many others.

So as crazy as it sounds, I think Green Day may have a big chance. They are nominated along with Alicia Keys, Usher, Kayne West, and Ray Charles. Now I know that Ray Charles transcends genres, but I don't think it's crazy to say that he has more in common with the other 3 nominees than he does with Green Day.

There will be a huge push for Ray Charles because of the fact that he passed away recently, but I wonder if it will be enough to overcome the fact that a lot of votes will be cancelled out.

Is the world ready for an album of the year from Green Day? :wink:

It should win for Jesus of Suburbia alone... though Kanye's song that is actually about Jesus is a really good song too. It should win something, but Green Day is definitely album a year among those nominees

is how to dismantle... in this competition?
american idiot has potential, i just think that if Green Day want to make a political record then they should find something more constructive to say than "fuck america" in their songs.

u2 will be eligible next year. And if you actually look at the album, it's not a "fuck america" album. It's not political so much as social commentary. American Idiot and Holiday are really the only exceptions, and I'd call them "fuck these ideas" rather than "fuck America"

There's no way Green Day will win Album of the Year next to Ray Charles and Kanye West. I love Green Day, but I just don't see it happening. But then again, I was surprised when Outkast won last year, so who knows.

My money is on Ray Charles, though. As a sympathy vote for more than any other reason since the CD received mixed reactions in the press.

UnforgettableLemon said:
:down: sympathy votes

Tragic as Eric Clapton's loss was, Acthung Baby was the better album

Exactly. I like the Ray Charles album, but it is not the album of the year and Eric Clapton's Unplugged certainly was not either.

I wish they would just vote for what they like and not be political.

Elvis Presley said:
Stop paying attention to the Grammys, you will all sleep better

I know I know - but the Grammys and the Oscars are my Super Bowls. They're a total farce, and I love them for it. :reject:

I don't really get excited about the Grammys, and I really don't care who wins, but it is nice to see when an album, song, or artists I like gets an award. That's about as far as my interest goes

There is no way that Green Day's album is anywhere as great as Kanye West's. It's crazy if they win.

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Greenday? (or am I missing something other than them being just another pop-punk band, I didn't really like the single and didn't bother with the Album either.)

No offence to any fans, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom