Green Day American Idiot appriciation thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
16, here...don't know how to describe it but not really your avergage 'angry rebelling' teenager and am told I'm a bit eccentric...however, 'American Idiot' is superb. Excellently produced as well! :D

I got into music pretty early on, about 2nd or 3rd grade and my first ever tape casette I mustve convinced my grandma to buy me was Green Day's Dookie...it sounded so brilliant at that time, classic, timeless now it just sounds like plain ol' dookie. It's funny how I still remember listening to it all the time over and over and even though it's been years and years since I heard it i'm sure i would still know the songs word by word:reject:.

Personally, I just dont buy their whole politcal thing, so many other punk bands do this already. i guess its good that they finally got over their poop/masturbation themes, but going en route of 'bush sucks' when everyone is already doing that just seems more watered down punk.
I guess, though, they are as punk as you can get on mtv.

but yeah, dookie sounded like a million bucks in that rusty tape player... 2 years later i bought my first cd ever..the brand spankin new album by a band called Oasis which then I hadn't hear of but was compelled by the cover....but that's a different story. Back to you jr62

yeah Green Day was my first self discovered band. And Dookie was the first GD album i bought. It sounded great 2 yrs. ago when i first heard it. But i must agree Oasis freaking rocks too.

i am remembering my bad taste back in elementary:(
99% of them were bad
few exceptions oasis, red hot chili peppers, the police, the clash, rolling stones

the rest was all crap or at least stuff i dont listen to and dont care to listen to anymore ..311, sublime, everclear, green day, blink 182, nirvana, smashing pumpkins, bush,

Last edited:
Yeah I wouldnt say i have a terrible taste U2, Oasis, radiohead, RHCP,Coldplay etc. Idk Green Day does appeal to me a lot right now. Maybe just cause of my age.

This album is surprisingly good once you get past the title track

The song 'American Idiot' single handedly ended any chance I was going to give the new album.

Last edited:
seriously, it doesn't have to be a guilty pleasure.
it's a good album

I was a big Green day fan when they first started getting widespread play, then I sort of lost track of them, wasn't particularly into but didn't dislike their music. Then American Idiot came out! :bow: Blew my mind. Just an incredible album! I don't know if I've ever listened to any album straight through so many times in my life. Not one track on it I didn't love. I got to see them in concert in May, and they rocked hard; these guys are at the top of their game right now :yes:

(And I'm only a teenager on the inside... outside I'm pushing 30 y/o)

I think it's a quality record. Nice to see them make a respectable effort. At least they've grown out of fecal album titles and songs about having a wank.

That being said, I do think it's not the "amazing accomplishment" for music that some are making it out to be. It's okay, and that's as far as it goes. Nothing innovative, really. Nothing jaw-dropping. Just catchy hooks and distorted guitars, something way too many bands are making a living on. Green Day just does it slightly better than the rest of the heap.

Back
Top Bottom