Green Day - American Idiot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've always liked Green Day, but I always felt they could be something more if they pushed themselves. That said, they released 'American Idiot' in 2004 and since then I've heard a LOT about this record. So I purchased it today without expectations that weren't low, but at the same time weren't sky-high either - I didn't want to be disappointed.

So I just finished listening to it, all the way through, and it's...well it's really fucking good(to quote Jack Black's character from High Fidelity). All 13 tracks flow together, and they tell a story. It is what you might call a rock opera. It is by far the best record Green Day has ever released. There are multiple themes to the story, and I haven't figured all of them out yet, I'm still not quite sure what the whole story is. But the themes I have figured out, I liked. It is sort of unbelievable to me that Green Day have made a record that requires any thinking at all, let alone thinking about a plotline.

Anyway, just want to know what you all think of this record, if you've heard it. All comments and thoughts here.

I absolutely love it. I've always been a Green Day fan. My friend John's the same way, but he was actually disappointed. He more or less thinks the teen angst thing was played out on 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Dookie... but honestly, this is Green Day approaching the same issues in a modern context with a LOT more knowledge of the world. It's an older, wiser band returning to the issues it once found important with a clearer sense of direction and better comprehension. Instead of just bitching about being bored, they're trying to look at causes. I dont' really see this as a political record so much as a social one, and there is a difference. (with the exception of a few songs, "American Idiot" and "Holiday"). The arrangements, the flow, it's pretty amazing. The only thing I do miss is the varied instrumentation of the last album, Warning. But I think to add too many instruments to this album would have been overkill. Complex arrangements are good: Guitar, drums, bass, and the occasional keyboard/piano serves the purpose. I love some of the weird shit on Warning, but it doesn't belong here. Great great album.

I'd been a fan since "Kerplunk" -- but totally threw the towel at them when they released "Time of Your Life." I haven't heard this latest album, but found the song "American Idiot" a tad grating (even if I loved the message) and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" to be basically their next "Time of Your Life." I've heard good things about "Jesus of Suburbia" though and would like to know more about this record anyway.

Will have to pick it up, I was also in The Greenday are shit camp but I've warmed to them:wink:

UnforgettableLemon said:
I absolutely love it. I've always been a Green Day fan. My friend John's the same way, but he was actually disappointed. He more or less thinks the teen angst thing was played out on 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Dookie... but honestly, this is Green Day approaching the same issues in a modern context with a LOT more knowledge of the world. It's an older, wiser band returning to the issues it once found important with a clearer sense of direction and better comprehension. Instead of just bitching about being bored, they're trying to look at causes. I dont' really see this as a political record so much as a social one, and there is a difference. (with the exception of a few songs, "American Idiot" and "Holiday"). The arrangements, the flow, it's pretty amazing. The only thing I do miss is the varied instrumentation of the last album, Warning. But I think to add too many instruments to this album would have been overkill. Complex arrangements are good: Guitar, drums, bass, and the occasional keyboard/piano serves the purpose. I love some of the weird shit on Warning, but it doesn't belong here. Great great album.

It's intresting you bring up 'Warning'. The final track on that record is a song called 'Macy's Day Parade', and it sounded different from anything I'd ever heard Green Day do before. I loved that song, and I always thought, if Green Day could expand that kind of song into a whole record, it would probably be the best work of their career. And with American Idiot, I feel I was right.

namkcuR said:

It's intresting you bring up 'Warning'. The final track on that record is a song called 'Macy's Day Parade', and it sounded different from anything I'd ever heard Green Day do before. I loved that song, and I always thought, if Green Day could expand that kind of song into a whole record, it would probably be the best work of their career. And with American Idiot, I feel I was right.

"Macy's Day Parade" is my favorite Green Day song. :wink:

i really hate the song "american idiot" and i'm not too much of a fan of the rest of the album aside from "boulevard of broken dreams".

i'm still convinced that it's yet another half-assed punk anthem for clueless suburban kids to chant "fuck bush" to at the warped tour, in between sucking down slices of domino's pizza.

whatever. last time i said this, i started a fight.

i like the entire "warning" album a hell of a lot, and like the oldest stuff for the most part better.

capt.las16402140114.grammys_las164.jpg

Hey you in the middle :flirt: :cute: :kiss:

IWasBored said:
i really hate the song "american idiot" and i'm not too much of a fan of the rest of the album aside from "boulevard of broken dreams".

i'm still convinced that it's yet another half-assed punk anthem for clueless suburban kids to chant "fuck bush" to at the warped tour, in between sucking down slices of domino's pizza.

whatever. last time i said this, i started a fight.

i like the entire "warning" album a hell of a lot, and like the oldest stuff for the most part better.

'American Idiot' is the worst song on the record. Everything else is miles ahead. I usually start listening to the record from track 2, 'Jesus Of Suburbia' instead of track 1, the title track.

I really don't think, if you listen to it, it has much to do with Bush at all. There's "American Idiot" and "Holiday"

That's about it. It's more of a teenage angst album viewed through more experienced lenses.

i did listen to the rest of the album, i just didn't like it.

whether or not the whole thing has to do with bush or pancakes or turtles, i don't care, that's not really what i meant. "american idiot" was the lead-off single, the first thing i heard from the album, and the first thing that popped into my head while hearing it was the misguided kid with the "fuck the army" anti-flag shirt i wanted to pummel at the warped tour last summer.

it's pretty funny, i used to be the last person to be really bothered by things like that song. i wrote my freshman english exemption essay on how much i hated the false patriotic flag-waving "i'll stand behind my president no matter what!" that sprang up even in my ultra-PC town right after 9/11. perhaps i didn't listen to the words right, but the few times i heard "american idiot" it really rubbed me the wrong way in the sense that it felt like an outsider from another country criticizing my country, writing us all off as idiots and trying to explain why [insert country here] hates us, and should hate us. and nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me they don't like me because they associate me with someone or something that i don't even agree with (like our current presidential administration). or something like that, lately i've been having an insanely difficult time digging up the exact words i want to use.

i'm probably treading too much into FYM territory, and i don't like that place very much, so i'll quit it.

Last edited:
I think the main reason that song was the lead single had less to do with election times, and more to do with familiarity and catchiness. I understand your point, but I think it has more to do with perception than intent.

I like the single American Idiot b/c it's musically catchy to me. Sure lyrically, it could be convenient, opportunistic, "fashionable, etc. but I could generally care less, as long I like it.

With that said, I think Boulevard is a little overrated. Lyrics sound ok and they are catchy, but the music is sooooo 80s rock- derivative that I can't help get annoyed by it just a little.

I'm surprised by the Green Day revival, especially with the avalanche of love they are getting from mags/ critics these days.

It's funny though to see people make a big deal about the "mature" Green Day and American Idiot (the album) and act like their past material from Kerplunk, Warning, Dookie, Insomniac, etc. pale in comparison or is static crap. I can't help but :lol::rolleyes: at this "turnaround."

Green Day has always tried to "evolve" within their genre of rock/ punk or whatever they call it. The new stuff isn't any more greater then the old stuff musically or lyrically. Wow, label it a rock opera or make songs that run longer than 7 minutes = best Green Day material evah!!! :rolleyes:

Green Day evolved a little bit but the music and direction has been generally the same. Angst or not.

also Billy Joe and company need to ease up on the eye makeup/ mascara cuz they look like somebody kicked their dog or burned their cat in a trash can.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I think the main reason that song was the lead single had less to do with election times, and more to do with familiarity and catchiness. I understand your point, but I think it has more to do with perception than intent.

yeah, it's completly possible and probably more likely than what i get from it, but that's still what i get from it so it pisses me off.

Flying FuManchu said:

also Billy Joe and company need to ease up on the eye makeup/ mascara cuz they look like somebody kicked their dog or burned their cat in a trash can.

I only recently discovered the proliferation of makeup the boys have now... I actually don't mind it though.

Actually, Mike looks mascara-free. And I think it's intentionally sloppy. Not that it really matters. My girlfriend noticed long before I did, she goes nuts for guys with eyeliner and mascara. But not in a way that makes me jealous.

Flying FuManchu said:
Mike was smart enough to know that whoever was doing their makeup does a crap job of it... :wink:
You know, Karen O isn't exactly mastering that lipstick in your avatar.

Flying FuManchu said:

Why? Billie Joe looks hotter than ever. I want to sexually assault him. I am having a hard time controlling myself. Fluffy black hair + big eyes + eyeliner + tight black pants = I am turned on :censored:

WTF the pet reference, I don't like animals being hurt :mad: :sad:

Last edited:
And the rest of us dont like hearing about how hot 'musicians' supposedly are.

:wink:

u2popmofo said:
And the rest of us dont like hearing about how hot 'musicians' supposedly are.

:wink:

They're generally bad news (she said, not too jaded). :no:

Back
Top Bottom