Green Day - American Idiot - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Green Day - American Idiot

I've always liked Green Day, but I always felt they could be something more if they pushed themselves. That said, they released 'American Idiot' in 2004 and since then I've heard a LOT about this record. So I purchased it today without expectations that weren't low, but at the same time weren't sky-high either - I didn't want to be disappointed.

So I just finished listening to it, all the way through, and it's...well it's really fucking good(to quote Jack Black's character from High Fidelity). All 13 tracks flow together, and they tell a story. It is what you might call a rock opera. It is by far the best record Green Day has ever released. There are multiple themes to the story, and I haven't figured all of them out yet, I'm still not quite sure what the whole story is. But the themes I have figured out, I liked. It is sort of unbelievable to me that Green Day have made a record that requires any thinking at all, let alone thinking about a plotline.

Anyway, just want to know what you all think of this record, if you've heard it. All comments and thoughts here.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I bought it Saturday as well. I've always thought Green Day were shit. But this record is really good.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I absolutely love it. I've always been a Green Day fan. My friend John's the same way, but he was actually disappointed. He more or less thinks the teen angst thing was played out on 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Dookie... but honestly, this is Green Day approaching the same issues in a modern context with a LOT more knowledge of the world. It's an older, wiser band returning to the issues it once found important with a clearer sense of direction and better comprehension. Instead of just bitching about being bored, they're trying to look at causes. I dont' really see this as a political record so much as a social one, and there is a difference. (with the exception of a few songs, "American Idiot" and "Holiday"). The arrangements, the flow, it's pretty amazing. The only thing I do miss is the varied instrumentation of the last album, Warning. But I think to add too many instruments to this album would have been overkill. Complex arrangements are good: Guitar, drums, bass, and the occasional keyboard/piano serves the purpose. I love some of the weird shit on Warning, but it doesn't belong here. Great great album.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:59 AM
I'd been a fan since "Kerplunk" -- but totally threw the towel at them when they released "Time of Your Life." I haven't heard this latest album, but found the song "American Idiot" a tad grating (even if I loved the message) and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" to be basically their next "Time of Your Life." I've heard good things about "Jesus of Suburbia" though and would like to know more about this record anyway.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:23 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Will have to pick it up, I was also in The Greenday are shit camp but I've warmed to them
Old 02-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
I absolutely love it. I've always been a Green Day fan. My friend John's the same way, but he was actually disappointed. He more or less thinks the teen angst thing was played out on 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Dookie... but honestly, this is Green Day approaching the same issues in a modern context with a LOT more knowledge of the world. It's an older, wiser band returning to the issues it once found important with a clearer sense of direction and better comprehension. Instead of just bitching about being bored, they're trying to look at causes. I dont' really see this as a political record so much as a social one, and there is a difference. (with the exception of a few songs, "American Idiot" and "Holiday"). The arrangements, the flow, it's pretty amazing. The only thing I do miss is the varied instrumentation of the last album, Warning. But I think to add too many instruments to this album would have been overkill. Complex arrangements are good: Guitar, drums, bass, and the occasional keyboard/piano serves the purpose. I love some of the weird shit on Warning, but it doesn't belong here. Great great album.
It's intresting you bring up 'Warning'. The final track on that record is a song called 'Macy's Day Parade', and it sounded different from anything I'd ever heard Green Day do before. I loved that song, and I always thought, if Green Day could expand that kind of song into a whole record, it would probably be the best work of their career. And with American Idiot, I feel I was right.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

It's intresting you bring up 'Warning'. The final track on that record is a song called 'Macy's Day Parade', and it sounded different from anything I'd ever heard Green Day do before. I loved that song, and I always thought, if Green Day could expand that kind of song into a whole record, it would probably be the best work of their career. And with American Idiot, I feel I was right.

"Macy's Day Parade" is my favorite Green Day song.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Boulevard of broken dreams
Old 02-13-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Listen to LETTER BOMB and ROCK AND ROLL GIRLFREIND...
Old 02-13-2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Or "Give Me Novacaine" and "She's a Rebel"
Old 02-13-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

i really hate the song "american idiot" and i'm not too much of a fan of the rest of the album aside from "boulevard of broken dreams".

i'm still convinced that it's yet another half-assed punk anthem for clueless suburban kids to chant "fuck bush" to at the warped tour, in between sucking down slices of domino's pizza.

whatever. last time i said this, i started a fight.

i like the entire "warning" album a hell of a lot, and like the oldest stuff for the most part better.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:30 PM   #12
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I agree with everything IWB wrote in the above comment. EVERYTHING.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:40 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:59 AM
Great Album
Old 02-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Hey you in the middle
Old 02-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i really hate the song "american idiot" and i'm not too much of a fan of the rest of the album aside from "boulevard of broken dreams".

i'm still convinced that it's yet another half-assed punk anthem for clueless suburban kids to chant "fuck bush" to at the warped tour, in between sucking down slices of domino's pizza.

whatever. last time i said this, i started a fight.

i like the entire "warning" album a hell of a lot, and like the oldest stuff for the most part better.
'American Idiot' is the worst song on the record. Everything else is miles ahead. I usually start listening to the record from track 2, 'Jesus Of Suburbia' instead of track 1, the title track.