Green Day - American Idiot - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:29 AM
I really don't think, if you listen to it, it has much to do with Bush at all. There's "American Idiot" and "Holiday"

That's about it. It's more of a teenage angst album viewed through more experienced lenses.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:05 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:29 AM
i did listen to the rest of the album, i just didn't like it.

whether or not the whole thing has to do with bush or pancakes or turtles, i don't care, that's not really what i meant. "american idiot" was the lead-off single, the first thing i heard from the album, and the first thing that popped into my head while hearing it was the misguided kid with the "fuck the army" anti-flag shirt i wanted to pummel at the warped tour last summer.

it's pretty funny, i used to be the last person to be really bothered by things like that song. i wrote my freshman english exemption essay on how much i hated the false patriotic flag-waving "i'll stand behind my president no matter what!" that sprang up even in my ultra-PC town right after 9/11. perhaps i didn't listen to the words right, but the few times i heard "american idiot" it really rubbed me the wrong way in the sense that it felt like an outsider from another country criticizing my country, writing us all off as idiots and trying to explain why [insert country here] hates us, and should hate us. and nothing pisses me off more than someone telling me they don't like me because they associate me with someone or something that i don't even agree with (like our current presidential administration). or something like that, lately i've been having an insanely difficult time digging up the exact words i want to use.

i'm probably treading too much into FYM territory, and i don't like that place very much, so i'll quit it.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think the main reason that song was the lead single had less to do with election times, and more to do with familiarity and catchiness. I understand your point, but I think it has more to do with perception than intent.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 PM   #19
New Yorker

I like the single American Idiot b/c it's musically catchy to me. Sure lyrically, it could be convenient, opportunistic, "fashionable, etc. but I could generally care less, as long I like it.

With that said, I think Boulevard is a little overrated. Lyrics sound ok and they are catchy, but the music is sooooo 80s rock- derivative that I can't help get annoyed by it just a little.

I'm surprised by the Green Day revival, especially with the avalanche of love they are getting from mags/ critics these days.

It's funny though to see people make a big deal about the "mature" Green Day and American Idiot (the album) and act like their past material from Kerplunk, Warning, Dookie, Insomniac, etc. pale in comparison or is static crap. I can't help but at this "turnaround."

Green Day has always tried to "evolve" within their genre of rock/ punk or whatever they call it. The new stuff isn't any more greater then the old stuff musically or lyrically. Wow, label it a rock opera or make songs that run longer than 7 minutes = best Green Day material evah!!!

Green Day evolved a little bit but the music and direction has been generally the same. Angst or not.

also Billy Joe and company need to ease up on the eye makeup/ mascara cuz they look like somebody kicked their dog or burned their cat in a trash can.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:54 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon
I think the main reason that song was the lead single had less to do with election times, and more to do with familiarity and catchiness. I understand your point, but I think it has more to do with perception than intent.
yeah, it's completly possible and probably more likely than what i get from it, but that's still what i get from it so it pisses me off.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu

also Billy Joe and company need to ease up on the eye makeup/ mascara cuz they look like somebody kicked their dog or burned their cat in a trash can.

I only recently discovered the proliferation of makeup the boys have now... I actually don't mind it though.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:57 PM   #22
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon

I only recently discovered the proliferation of makeup the boys have now... I actually don't mind it though.

I have no prob with guys and mascara but this pic shows how bad a job they did...

Old 02-14-2005, 03:01 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Actually, Mike looks mascara-free. And I think it's intentionally sloppy. Not that it really matters. My girlfriend noticed long before I did, she goes nuts for guys with eyeliner and mascara. But not in a way that makes me jealous.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:14 PM   #24
New Yorker

Mike was smart enough to know that whoever was doing their makeup does a crap job of it...
Old 02-14-2005, 03:34 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

i think the mascara and eye makeup looks ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #26
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Mike was smart enough to know that whoever was doing their makeup does a crap job of it...
You know, Karen O isn't exactly mastering that lipstick in your avatar.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:57 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

You know, Karen O isn't exactly mastering that lipstick in your avatar.
Heh. Heh heh.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Why? Billie Joe looks hotter than ever. I want to sexually assault him. I am having a hard time controlling myself. Fluffy black hair + big eyes + eyeliner + tight black pants = I am turned on

WTF the pet reference, I don't like animals being hurt
Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 PM   #29
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:29 AM
And the rest of us dont like hearing about how hot 'musicians' supposedly are.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
And the rest of us dont like hearing about how hot 'musicians' supposedly are.

They're generally bad news (she said, not too jaded).