Green Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
love_u2_adam said:
ok this thread in the time i have been gone has gone:crazy: and i think it lost it meaning :tsk:

i thought you said you liked the sex pistols. if that's true, you would understand it.

oh sweet!! sham 69 comes up on my itunes right after the pistols!

it's gonna be a borstal breakout!!!

ILuvLarryMullen said:
yes I agree, the thread has improved greatly by my presence!!!!

your presence ensures the correct percentage of whoriness for a thread to obtain maximum quality, if that's what you mean.

IWasBored said:

your presence ensures the correct percentage of whoriness for a thread to obtain maximum quality, if that's what you mean.

omg that's exactly what I meant, it's like you are inside my brain or something :happy: :cute:!!!

hey love u2 adam, i didn't realize you were 14.

sorry about the ruff go, wasn't aware of your young'un status.

I'm sorry. I just really enjoy the Sex Pistols. So as to Green Day and their politics - I really don't care. I may agree with the sentiment, but there are far more articulate and/or subtle ways to get that across. As a social statement, American Idiot works fine for me. If I want criticism of the war situation, I'll listen to "Devils and Dust" or even Dropkick Murphys' Warriors Code album. It doesn't beat you over the head with its politics: "Green Fields of France" is an Aussie folk lament about the wars following World War II, "Citzen CIA" is an attack on government recruiting methods (with a real sense of humor to back it up) and "Last Letter Home" focuses on the individual (and real) experiences of a lost soldier. So... yeah, there's no big "Fuck Bush" across the front in big letters, but the subtext of disfavor is certainly there if you want it to be. But there's so much more going on. So anyway, back to Green Day. I don't mind their occasional flings with socio-political ideologies, but I think their best "serious" work comes from a more personal place rather than the broad politics of something like "Holiday." Still a catchy-as-hell song though. I do like American Idiot, but I think Warning was far more interesting with regards to the individual songs on the respective albums. I don't necessarily think they should have won record of the year, but I also don't really care about the Grammys anymore anyway.

UnforgettableLemon said:
I'm sorry. I just really enjoy the Sex Pistols. So as to Green Day and their politics - I really don't care. I may agree with the sentiment, but there are far more articulate and/or subtle ways to get that across. As a social statement, American Idiot works fine for me. If I want criticism of the war situation, I'll listen to "Devils and Dust" or even Dropkick Murphys' Warriors Code album. It doesn't beat you over the head with its politics: "Green Fields of France" is an Aussie folk lament about the wars following World War II, "Citzen CIA" is an attack on government recruiting methods (with a real sense of humor to back it up) and "Last Letter Home" focuses on the individual (and real) experiences of a lost soldier. So... yeah, there's no big "Fuck Bush" across the front in big letters, but the subtext of disfavor is certainly there. So back to Green Day. I don't mind their occasional flings with socio-political ideologies, but I think their best "serious" work comes from a more personal place rather than the broad politics of something like "Holiday." Still a catchy-as-hell song though. I do like American Idiot, but I think Warning was far more interesting with regards to the individual songs on the respective albums. I don't necessarily think they should have won record of the year, but I also don't really care about the Grammys anymore anyway.

:applaud:

i usually have to throw a comment about the street dogs in here. maybe later i'll go through the whole tirade, but i'm not in the mood right now.

mike mccolgan is badass, though. that guy is one of my heroes.

Thanks and thanks. Now I'm scared I've derailed an entertaining thread by attempting to be both civil and articulate. Damned writing skills.

It's too bad you're already listening to something, Kim, 'cause I was totally going to go for some Social D live at the Roxy. Or maybe even Rancid's Indestructible. Such an underrated album. I know a lot of people that despise everything Rancid did after ...And out come the wolves (or even after they released "Salvation" for that matter) but I really like nearly everything I've heard. I will say they're albums run too long, though.

actually, my sham stuff is ending. i don't have live at the roxy, but i'll put on that rancid album. that is good shit. wanna go for it?

IWasBored said:
i usually have to throw a comment about the street dogs in here. maybe later i'll go through the whole tirade, but i'm not in the mood right now.

mike mccolgan is badass, though. that guy is one of my heroes.

Actually, Mike's a great case for the disenchanted soldier with "Far Away Coast" and then coming back with "Tale of Mass Deception" from the more critical civilian side. :up: I meant to mention that... I swear I did. :shifty:

IWasBored said:
actually, my sham stuff is ending. i don't have live at the roxy, but i'll put on that rancid album. that is good shit. wanna go for it?

It's a bit on the late side. I've got a 9 AM that I should probably at least consider sleeping for. We should definitely have a Rancid night some time though. Tonight has been fun. :rockon:

UnforgettableLemon said:

Actually, Mike's a great case for the disenchanted soldier with "Far Away Coast" and then coming back with "Tale of Mass Deception" from the more critical civilian side. :up:

exactly.

you could argue songs like "don't preach to me" are hipocritical, but he's not actually up there trying to convert you to his views. the message is go out, think for yourself, go do something. this is what we think, this is where we come from, go be yourself. just get involved. that was essentially his speech before they played that song the last time i saw them.

and talk about energy on stage. i can't think of too many other frontmen who put what he puts into performing.

man, my sentence structure really is shot to shit and i haven't been drinking.

UnforgettableLemon said:

It's a bit on the late side. I've got a 9 AM that I should probably at least consider sleeping for. We should definitely have a Rancid night some time though. Tonight has been fun. :rockon:

oh crap, it is late. i have to be functional by 10am, and i'm not done with my day until 9pm. plus i haven't done any homework yet.

definitely another time :up:

you've got back to the world, right? or savin hill, or one of the street dogs albums, don't you? we should rock out to that!

i'm listening to back to the world now. i didn't like it nearly as much as savin hill when it came out, but it's really grown on me. i can't wait for the 3rd album.

ILuvLarryMullen said:
maybe you should try drinking then?

we both know that i'm even less coherent then. plus i pick fights with peace-loving hippies when i'm drunk. i'm more beligerent than i am sober!

jay's 92. so she really knows what she's talking about.

i'm not actually old enough to drink, either. it's been revealed that i'm not actually a 21-year old female, but an 8-year old boy.

UnforgettableLemon said:

Actually, Mike's a great case for the disenchanted soldier with "Far Away Coast" and then coming back with "Tale of Mass Deception" from the more critical civilian side. :up: I meant to mention that... I swear I did. :shifty:

did you see the back to the world video?

that was classy.

Now my guns are blazin'
bloodclot I can see 360...

So yeah, I am listening to Rancid as I do homework. Just not that album. And probably not posting much longer.

And as to your Street Dogs questions - Yes I do have Back to the World, but I've not seen any videos at all.

IWasBored said:
jay's 92. so she really knows what she's talking about.

i'm not actually old enough to drink, either. it's been revealed that i'm not actually a 21-year old female, but an 8-year old boy.

THERE WAS NOOO ELECTRICITY WHEN I WAS BORN >>>>!!!! THE INTERNETSS CONFUSE AND BEWILDER MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

life won't wait :drool:

oooh, this is a fitting song for jay's intoxication. STAGGER, YOU DRINK AND THEN FALL, unaware that your life is held up against the wall...

Back
Top Bottom