Greedy Bastards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCK

Acrobat
Why are hockey tickets so freaking expensive? Just how much are those Zamboni guys getting paid?! Here in Toronto, baseball tickets are reasonable- and they're always having specials on. You can see a soccer game for a little more than the price of a movie. But its obvious that hockey is the spoiled diva of the sports world. Tickets are hella-expensive and that means a lot of people can only afford one or two games a season- or even none at all.

supply and demand my friend. baseball tickets are cheaper than all other sports because they play 81 home games in a stadium that holds anywhere from 35,000 to 60,000... hockey & basketball have 41 home games in arenas that hold between 15,000 and 20,000. soccer and american football play in the biggest stadiums of them all, but have much fewer games... thus then, their tickets are more in the middle. this has been your friendly holder of a degree in sports management signing off. thanks for your support.

yes it shall be on the test... but as my managerial accounting prof, the greatest prof i ever had, rimas kalivitas, said... (eh hem... adjusts for german accent) "dees ees a beeznees class... en beeznees you are allowed to cheeet, so thus you are allowed to cheeet in dees class."

so the test shall be open book...err... open forum

It does puzzle me as to why hockey tickets cost more than comparable football tickets when football has only 8 games to hockey's 41 (And the football stadium here is only about 3x the capacity of the hockey arena).

That may explain the sold out status of every Pats game and the thousands of fans disguised as chairs at every Bruins game.

games * approx. seats = total # of seats available in a season

Gillette 8*70000= 560,000
Fleet (celts and bruins) 41*17000= 690,000
Fenway 81*35000= 2,835,000

the difference in available tickets for the pats vs. either of the fleet center teams is not as huge as one would first think. the first 20,000 seats at a football stadium are on a comparable price scale to the 17,000 at the Fleet Center. Then the additional 50,000 or so go down in price gradually, making the upper deck seats reasonably affordable. add in the massive amounts of luxary boxes at gillette as compared to the fleet, and in the end, a sold out season at gillette stadium would make more money in just 8 games than a sold out season for the celtics at the fleet. factor in nfl revenue sharing, and no nfl team ever has a valid excuse not to go 3-4 years without being respectable... unless you're the bengals and have horrific management. but now with marvin lewis, even that's changed.

and this will be on the test.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom