Greatest Sports Person Of All Time - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrush
In terms of SUPERSTAR, I think Babe Ruth.
Never heard this guy

Indeed , agree with zoney , the guys that anywhere on earth and out of it people will know are Michael Jordan , Ali and Pele

Old 01-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP

Never heard this guy
Which is probably why he doesn't qualify.

(Baseball player in America in the 1910's to 1930's who set many home run hitting records that lasted for many years, including 714 career homers and 60 homers in one season. He was also an obsessive eater, smoker, and alcoholic, which ended up endearing him more to the people.)

Old 01-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
I think Jordan is the greatest ever. Only because Maradona had his whole drug problem and Jorden has a pretty much umblemished legendary record.
apart from the gambling and womanizing ?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

and womanizing ?
I also wondered if this would come up. I didn't bring it up b/c to some people, this fact might not matter. It always bugged me though. Definately tainted his image of a hero to me for sure.

Still, an amazing athlete.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:51 AM
Is this about greatest athlete, or sportsman?

If it's athlete, then for me, in my lifetime, it's Michael Jordan in a landslide....with Tiger Woods creeping up annually. Federer, too.

If it's for sportsman....then I'm just not sure....if we use world wide polularity, seems like it might be Ali. If we project....maybe Federer...his skills are sublime, he is a joy to watch and he is an international good will ambassador for UNICEF.

I'll just toss this out there, too....one of my all-time favorite athletic performers is Eric Heiden. He skated in 5 different speed skating disciplines and won all 5. He won a race as short as a 500m race, and as long as a 10,000m race. That's like Carl Lewis winning the 100m then going out and winning the 1,500. It does not happen, you sprint, or you do middle or long distance, you don't do both. Heiden also set 5 Olympic records while he was at it. He went on to become a Doctor, and serves as one of the Olympic team doctors every 4 years. I'm not saying he's the greatest sportsman or athlete ever, but, that was one hell of a performance.

As for football (soccer) players, I live in the US and just do not have the knowledge required to consider a football player for this, though I of course understand the global popularity of the sport.

Lastly, for my American sports fans, by sport:

Basketball - Jordan
Football - Jim Brown
Baseball - Willie Mays
Hockey - Bobby Orr (Sorry Gretzky fans)

All of this, of course, is merely my humble opinion, I could be very off-base here.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:43 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Jackie Robinson -- as the first black player in MLB, you could argue that he was as big a figure as anyone else in the civil rights movement of the 50s and 60s in the United States.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:37 AM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP

Never heard this guy

Indeed , agree with zoney , the guys that anywhere on earth and out of it people will know are Michael Jordan , Ali and Pele
Because it was in the past makes it non-relevant?

I cannot believe federer could be placed above the greatest baseball player of all time. True, era's are hard to compare, but with how little sports were publicized back in the day, he was still bigger than the game. That is not easy to do. Federer is not...never will be.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrush

I cannot believe federer could be placed above the greatest baseball player of all time. True, era's are hard to compare, but with how little sports were publicized back in the day, he was still bigger than the game. That is not easy to do. Federer is not...never will be.
I think potentially Federer could be placed above Babe Ruth for 2 reasons. First of all is that like i said in a previous post, he just dominates tennis at the moment. I think he's won the last four wimbledons in a row now and he's only 25 i think, if that. He's also won the US Open and the Australian Open. If he can win the French Open that would make it the grand slam. He's got a great chance of beating Sampras's record and adding significantly to it (Sampras has 14 major titles i think).

Secondly tennis is a more global sport, more people from around the world play and watch it. As far as i know, baseball is only really popular in America and Japan. I have heard of Babe Ruth but i couldn't tell you any of his achievments.

However Federer still has to prove himself over the rest of his career so we can only wait and see.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #24
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Steve Waugh

obviously
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Worldwide: Ali or Pele.

america, you'd think i'd say jordan... which wouldn't be a bad choice, but i'm going with gretzky. hockey mattered when gretzky played. without him, it gets lower ratings than women's college softball. the NBA may not be as big as it was when jordan was at his prime, but it's still light years ahead of the NHL.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Great One is the best! Jordan is a very close second though. I don't really care if he's got a gambling problem.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Wayne Gretzky is one of the most amazing athletes I've ever seen. If you look at his raw skills you'd never think he'd be the player he was...he wasn't nearly the fastest skater, or hardest shooter...his small size in an amazingly physical sport. Obviously his playmaking is his greatest skill, and what he's known for, but he still holds the single season & all-time goal scoring records. The beauty of Gretzky, and people who've had the opportunity to see him play live can tell you this, was his ability to anticipate where the puck, and the play, were going. You'd see him come up with a loose puck, or just appear wide-open for a quality scoring chance, and say to yourself "What the hell was he doing there?"

That said, worldwide, I'd guess the guy is Pele, or Ali. I can't see a case for Federer or Woods, or any golfer or tennis player frankly. I know in my country golf & tennis are "the rich sports". I do think that perception is changing, particularly re: golf. Is that true in other countries, or are they more sports of the people in Europe than they are here?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #28
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

As for football (soccer) players, I live in the US and just do not have the knowledge required to consider a football player for this, though I of course understand the global popularity of the sport.

Very simple , some few achievements of what make a above of all normal football ( Soccer to Americans) players , things like :

-Scoring more than 1000 goals , Pele scored 1281 in 1363 games , it's like in almost game of his almost 20 year career he scored
- Winnin 3 World Cups , the WC is the biggest competition of football and in happens in a hiatus of 4 years , think about An American player winning 3 Basketball Olympics

That of course besides the paintings he made , the fact he was the youngest at the time , to play a WC final , he only 17 crushed Sweeden with one of most beautiful goals of the WC history
Old 01-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #29
Refugee

how can an american footballer/baseball/basketball or hockey player be the best sportsman ever when these sports are hardly played world wide and only in america! it would have to be a soccer player, tennis, golf etc WORLDWIDE SPORTS GUYS!!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #30
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:51 PM
Colin "Pinetree" Meads. Greatest All Black of all time.

This discussion is over.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog