Greatest Sporting Rivalry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zepher25

Acrobat
What do you think the greatest international sporting rivalry is, im going to go for Australia and England, in everything they fight hard and to the wire, there fairly equally matched in most sports and the fans massively get into it

South Africa vs Australia (any sport)

Isn't it great when there's mutual dislike for Australian sporting teams? The Brits hate them, the New Zealanders hate them, the South Africans hate them... :wink:

The Yankee-Red Sox rivalry is well-documented and still fun to watch.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The Yankee-Red Sox rivalry is well-documented and still fun to watch.

International sporting rivalries, LMP, international. :wink: Had it been regional, I would have mentioned Liverpool FC vs Everton FC and the Montreal Canadiens vs the Toronto Maple Leafs.

GibsonGirl said:

International sporting rivalries, LMP, international. :wink: Had it been regional, I would have mentioned Liverpool FC vs Everton FC and the Montreal Canadiens vs the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I figured I'd speak about what I know best :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Canada/USA is pretty wild. :hmm: Do you watch much hockey?

I'm not much of a hockey guy, I did see a few Lightning games though.

I'm more of a basketball guy.

The Celtics/Lakers Rivalry of the 1980s

North Carolina/Duke

The Bulls/Knicks Rivalry of the 1990s

Ohio State/Michigan

They're not international but they're the best. Especially those Celtics/Lakers and Bulls/Knicks rivalries. Some of the greatest basketball series' ever played.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm not much of a hockey guy, I did see a few Lightning games though.

I'm more of a basketball guy.

Lightning......did you say my home team..........excuse me but I'm battling Aragorn over the Stanley Cup Finals.........you have to know living in Florida I'm on the Hurricanes to win.....though I shed a tear that the Lightning have to relinquish the Cup........:|

Hurricanes 5 / Edmonton 4 end of game 1

namkcuR said:
The Celtics/Lakers Rivalry of the 1980s

North Carolina/Duke

The Bulls/Knicks Rivalry of the 1990s

Ohio State/Michigan

They're not international but they're the best. Especially those Celtics/Lakers and Bulls/Knicks rivalries. Some of the greatest basketball series' ever played.

hell, even the Knicks/Heat one in the late '90s was pretty good for a while.

Bill Russell/Wilt Chamberlain rivalry in the '60s and '70s.

India -v- Pakistan (cricket)

USA -v- themselves in American Football:wink:

Rangers -v- Celtic (football)

England -v- Germany (international football)

Tyson -v- Don King

zepher25 said:
the thing with all those other teams that hate Australia is 8/10 times Australia wins

Uh, no. Want me to drag out the statistics? Here's one example, from the rugby.

Out of 123 games between Australia and New Zealand, New Zealand has won 81, Australia 37, and 5 have been drawn.

That's pretty decisively in favour of New Zealand by a ratio of over 2 wins to 1.

Axver said:

Uh, no. Want me to drag out the statistics? Here's one example, from the rugby.

Out of 123 games between Australia and New Zealand, New Zealand has won 81, Australia 37, and 5 have been drawn.

That's pretty decisively in favour of New Zealand by a ratio of over 2 wins to 1.

i didnt know that, i was estimating and seeing as im from melbourne i think rugby sucks

im talking in general whats the biggest international sporting rivalry and why any sport, Do Isralies and Plaistinians play sport against each other?

Back
Top Bottom