Great uses of music in movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
(1) The Big Chill - the moment near the start of the movie when the funeral procession moves off and the Rolling Stones 'You Can't Always Get What You Want' starts up.

(2) Goodfellas - good use of contemporary music throughout

(3) Scarface - Atmospheric score throughout

(4) Withnail and I - the moment when the Jaguar sets off on the deserted motorway and Jimi Hendrix's guitar starts up

(5) Lost Highway - David Bowie over the closing credits

Any others?

Ditto regarding Lost Highway. A wonderful soundtrack.

Garden State and Cruel Intentions comes to mind as well.

Chariots of Fire The music makes the movie.
The Graduate Simon and Garfunkel
Easy Rider Born to be Wild
But the all-time greatest,
Isaac Hayes and the Theme from Shaft. Today's rappers and rock n roll posers can only wish they were this cool.

I'll go for a 'dumb' one...

Crash Test Dummies' Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm during the scene in Dumb & Dumber when Harry is pissed off at Lloyd and decides to just walk home from Lincoln, Nevada.

Perfect!

Tears For Fears' Mad World (slow ver) in Donnie Darko. I haven't really seen that movie though... just that scene and I love that version of the song.

How about...
...the Ride of the Valkyries in Apocalypse Now
...the music from Brian's Song. Most American guys over 35 will freely admit to crying during that movie.
...I Melt with You by Modern English at the end of Valley Girl.

Zootlesque said:
Tears For Fears' Mad World (slow ver) in Donnie Darko. I haven't really seen that movie though... just that scene and I love that version of the song.

Good one, also the use a Echo and the Bunnymen's song, whose name I forget, is very effective in that movie.

financeguy said:

Good one, also the use a Echo and the Bunnymen's song, whose name I forget, is very effective in that movie.

The Killing Moon. :up:

financeguy said:

"The Killing Moon." However in the director's cut on the DVD, they cut out that song in the beginning and replaced it with INXS' "Never Tear Us Apart"! It's still a good song, but it totally threw me off :mad: .

sunday bloody sunday playing in the credits of sunday bloody sunday(which was why i rented the movie in the first place:wink: )

MrBrau1 said:
The start of "In The Name Of The Father" with Voodoo Child by Hendrix playing, as a riot breaks out in Belfast.

And the scene where Sinead O'Connor sings "You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart" as all of the prisoners drop flaming paper in honor of the dad (I forget his name)... absolutely heartbreaking

NumbMacphisto said:

"The Killing Moon." However in the director's cut on the DVD, they cut out that song in the beginning and replaced it with INXS' "Never Tear Us Apart"! It's still a good song, but it totally threw me off :mad: .

And put "The Killing Moon" in the place of another song by a band that some people get pissed off when I mention their name, but everyone knows who it is anyway, so :shrug: But yeah, those changes totally throw off the movie. :mad:

phanan said:
Any film with a Vangelis score.

I loved the music in Blade Runner. That was Vangelis, wasn't it? (I'm too lazy to check.)

"Girl, You're Going to be A Woman Soon" as covered by Urge Overkill in Pulp Fiction while Uma Thurman dances around and eventually snorts the heroin that nearly kills her. Chilling and weirdly erotic.

"Stuck in the Middle With You" in Reservoir Dogs while Michael Madsen de-ears the cop.

Just about anything in Tarantino's movies, really.

Last of the Mohicans was mentioned, just about any Michael Mann movie.

Heat-pretty much throughout but at the end when Pacino grabs Deniro's hand as he is dying and Moby's God Moving Over the Face of the Water. that ia a great moment.

Also the first real gratuitous Lsa Gerrard pieces before Gladiator and other movies hijacked the idea.

An excellent soundtrack. Michael Brook has a cool song on it.

The music in "The Thing" and "Escape From New York" was cool.
Very 80's synthish, but dark, moody and cool. John Carpenter composed it. Not for everybody. :wink"

Also the score to the Crow was excellent as well as the soundtrack (I am talking about the first movie).

Also liked the score to In America and Blade Runner as well.

Another more recent one is the score for the movie Solaris, which I thought was awesome.

Everything In Its Right Place when Tom Cruise drives around an empty Times Square in Vanilla Sky

That Brian Eno song when Ewan McGregor swims around in the toilet in Trainspotting.

The Propellerheads song Spybreak in the Matrix when Trinity and Neo invade the lobby of that office building with their "lots of guns". That was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
As for Trainspotting, it is pretty cool when Born Slippy plays while he steals the money.

elliott smith's "needle in the hay" in the royal tennenbaums.

goodfellas was already mentioned, but the music works well in most scorsese films. so yeah, i'm guilty of thinking that the hands that built america was perfect at the end of gangs of ny. but hey, that's one of my favorite movies ever, and i generally like everything scorsese does (even if i'm spelling his name wrong. i never said i could spell).

IWasBored said:
elliott smith's "needle in the hay" in the royal tennenbaums.

goodfellas was already mentioned, but the music works well in most scorsese films. so yeah, i'm guilty of thinking that the hands that built america was perfect at the end of gangs of ny. but hey, that's one of my favorite movies ever, and i generally like everything scorsese does (even if i'm spelling his name wrong. i never said i could spell).

I loved the trad stuff in Gangs as well. :drool:

UnforgettableLemon said:

I loved the trad stuff in Gangs as well. :drool:

:yes:

there was also that scene with the guy walking around singing "new york girls" was cool. there always seems to be one scene in scorsese's films (the only one i can think of off the top of my head was in mean streets where harvey keitel's character is walking through the bar, but i know there are others. there was at least one other, the camera follows dicaprio once or twice) where the camera follows someone walking around, and in gangs of ny, it's following this dude who's singing as an actual part in the movie, but he's singing as the movie is happening, as a soundtrack.

anyway, i thought that was cool.

-when enid starts dancing to the indian rock song in her bedroom in ghost world

-when "just like honey" from the jamc starts playing when charlotte and bob harris part ways at the end of lit

-in kill bill: the eerie whistling song, and also "the lonely shepherd" when the bride is training

-when "ohh la la" from the faces starts playing when max and ms. bloom start dancing at the end of rushmore

Back
Top Bottom