Great uses of music in movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh i forgot to mention the overture for a few dollars more. really, any of the man with no name movies have classic spaghetti western soundtracks. i believe ennio morricone is the composer.

drt4 said:
Everything In Its Right Place when Tom Cruise drives around an empty Times Square in Vanilla Sky

I was thinking the same thing.. and in the same movie.. the use of Wild Honey in the bar.. strangely fit the scene really well.

thesuburbskill said:

-when "just like honey" from the jamc starts playing when charlotte and bob harris part ways at the end of lit

Yes!!!!

The Indian punk rock in Ghost World is pretty funny too.

3 modern film directors that really have a knack for matching the perfect song with a scene. And all have movies that have been mentioned in this thread.
1) Wes Anderson
2) Cameron Crowe
3) Quentin Tarantino

thesuburbskill said:
-when "ohh la la" from the faces starts playing when max and ms. bloom start dancing at the end of rushmore

My favorite song in a movie ever. Love that ending.

What about The End by The Doors at the beginning and end of Apocalypse Now? And the use of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries during the helicopter attack? Powerful stuff.

drt4 said:
Everything In Its Right Place when Tom Cruise drives around an empty Times Square in Vanilla Sky

That is almost my favorite, but the best of all time is ....

In Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the Umpa Loompas song as they row the boat into the tunnel :drool: (Original movie). Scariest damn thing ever.....

lazarus said:

My favorite song in a movie ever. Love that ending.

What about The End by The Doors at the beginning and end of Apocalypse Now? And the use of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries during the helicopter attack? Powerful stuff.

Laz, that was my answer too !

-Harold and Maude ("Trouble" at the end has me bawling every time)
-Almost Famous (great throughout, but "The Wind" and "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" are great")
-American Beauty ("The Seeker" and how funny are "Danke Schoen" and "American Woman"...not to mention Thomas Newman's amazing score)

" Everyone" by Van Morrison at the end of "The Royal Tannenbaums"

" the Real Me" by the WHO in Quadrophenia when the opening credits start and Jimmy Cooper is on his scooter. and the little sequence before that when hes walking back from the edge of the cliff..that who song playing there is cool.
cool ass movie-

I thought of another: That Godspeed You Black Emperor song that plays at the beginning of 28 Days Later when he wanders around an empty, decimated London. That was great.

Magnolia - anything from Aimee Mann but the "Save Me" singalong is tops.

Vanilla Sky - Sigur Ros song at the end is terrific. Everything In Its Right Place is a great start too.

Rushmore - great soundtrack

Say Anything - In Your Eyes/PG

The Natural - great score

Jaws - John Williams finest

thesuburbskill said:
-when enid starts dancing to the indian rock song in her bedroom in ghost world

-when "just like honey" from the jamc starts playing when charlotte and bob harris part ways at the end of lit

-in kill bill: the eerie whistling song, and also "the lonely shepherd" when the bride is training

-when "ohh la la" from the faces starts playing when max and ms. bloom start dancing at the end of rushmore

ALL of these are exactly what I would have said. :drool:

I'm not willing to read through this entire thread to see if this has already been said but my vote goes to the movie 'Sexy Beast.' The opening scene of the film when they use the song 'Peaches' by The Stranglers. It works extremely well. When I know the movie is going to be on cable, I sometimes tune in just for the opening scene cause I love it so much.

That creepy Gregorian chanting (?) in those Omen movies, when you just know that some bad shit's about to go down.. :no:

Agreed with those who mentioned Everything In Its Right Place at the start of Vanilla Sky.. fits the theme and sets the mood perfectly..

Also the song playing during one of David's mindfuck moments, Can We Still Be Friends, somehow seems to work.

And other great movie song moments already mentioned - another vote for Apocalypse Now (The End, Ride of the Valkyries), Donnie Darko (Mad World, also Head Over Heels in that other scene), The Graduate (S&G), Pulp Fiction (Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon),

And yeah, The Thing! Creepy, heartbeat-like music..

And yeah, all music in The Breakfast Club.. :)

Since someone else mentioned The Stranglers, how about Golden Brown played at the bare-knuckle knockout scene in Snatch?

And The Piano? Snow Falling on Cedars?

Sorry got carried away..

Lots of good stuff mentioned. Glad to see people on this board like/appreciate Vangelis. Sidenote: My husband & I (him especially) were fans way before 'Chariots of Fire'. Heck, we even saw him play live at UCLA back in the 80s (he doesn't tour, so it was a rarity to see him, especially in the USA). And not only that, Jon Anderson (Yes) came out of the audience to sing a song or two (they had recorded some albums together back in the 80s). We had front row - I could have tripped Jon Anderson, LOL (could have been my claim to fame). And yes, the Chariots of Fire score made the movie.

Lots of other choices mentioned were great ones as well. I do like the movie 'Good Morning Vietnam', and it had great music, as does The Big Chill, and again, many others mentioned, like when Jesus & Mary Chain kicks in at the end of 'Lost In Translation'. I remember liking the 'Thief' soundtrack when it came out - that was music by Tangerine Dream.

The only one I can add at this late hour without serious thought is the score for "Dead Poet's Society". I think it's Maurice Jarre. Which reminds me of Mike Oldfield and 'Tubular Bells' from The Exorcist. or Spring. Oh and from th movie 'Philadelphia', I cried during the song of the same name by Neil Young. I think it's played at the end of the movie. And the Springsteen song from the movie as well...

Damn, I may have to go digging thru the closet now or wake hubby. :hmm:

Naaaaaaahhhhhh

Lila64 said:

, like when Jesus & Mary Chain kicks in at the end of 'Lost In Translation'.

that reminds me, for some reason i liked the scene where bill murray was attempting to sing 'what's so funny about peace love & understanding.'

And the Springsteen song from the movie as well...

:up: that was probably the only movie that didn't annoy me when its opening credits went on forever and ever.

I :love: Elvis Costello, and yes, loved that too. That's one of my all-time fave songs. And I love Bill Murray as well.

Brooooooooooooooce

Hawkfire said:
Magnolia - anything from Aimee Mann but the "Save Me" singalong is tops.

It was actually Wise Up for the characters singing along. Save Me was in the closing credits. But you're right, Magnolia had great music.

And whoever mentioned Ride of the Valkyries in Apocalpyse now, that is certainly an all time classic.

Cameron Crowe movies have been mentioned but I have to single out 'Say Anything' with John Cusack.

The scene with Peter Gabriel's 'In Your Eyes' is one of my favourites :)

Back
Top Bottom