Grammy Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonaVox

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Artists on hand to read nominations include Ashanti, Avril Lavigne, Cyndi Lauper, John Mayer, Justin Timberlake, Kenny Chesney, Nelly, P. Diddy, and others to be announced shortly. A press conference will be held at Madison Square Garden in New York City on January 7, 2003. In addition, Recording Academy(R) President Neil Portnow will speak, and key members of the music industry and cultural community will be in attendance. The 45th Annual GRAMMY Awards will originate from Madison Square Garden in New York City, and the show will be broadcast live on the CBS Television Network on Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 8 p.m. (EST/PST).

I love Grammy Time and I don't know why. Usually the music I most listen to isn't really represented at the Grammys. But I guess this year I'm hopin fer a little from Bruce or something. I don't know, I just like seeing who gets nominated.....

any predictions? Or should we just wait until tomorrow?
:tongue:

I always like to add my own nominations to the categories. I like the random ones like, "Best Liner Notes Editor."

Part of me thinks the Grammys are a huge joke, but I can't seem to stop myself from caring about who gets nominated and who wins. I'm sure The Boss will get some nods, which should make up for some of the other crap that I'm sure will also get nominated.

Hello,

OK, let me be the first to do this. Here are my nominees for Album of the Year (the others are too difficult). They are based on my own collection and opinions and rumours of others:
Solomon Burke - Don't Give Up On Me
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Nelly - Nellyville

Gee, it was already too difficult! I only picked Nelly as there has to be an Urban record with the nominees, but I don't know which it should be. Missy Elliott's Under Construction is too recent, as is Jay-Z's The Blueprint 2, while his The Blueprint is too old (I haven't heard any of these albums, but they got good reviews, so I thought they might be of sufficient quality). For the rest, all bases are covered (Blues/Soul, Alternative, Comeback, Jazz)

Oh well, at least I tried.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

OK, let me be the first to do this. Here are my nominees for Album of the Year (the others are too difficult). They are based on my own collection and opinions and rumours of others:
Solomon Burke - Don't Give Up On Me
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising
Nelly - Nellyville

Gee, it was already too difficult! I only picked Nelly as there has to be an Urban record with the nominees, but I don't know which it should be. Missy Elliott's Under Construction is too recent, as is Jay-Z's The Blueprint 2, while his The Blueprint is too old (I haven't heard any of these albums, but they got good reviews, so I thought they might be of sufficient quality). For the rest, all bases are covered (Blues/Soul, Alternative, Comeback, Jazz)

Oh well, at least I tried.

C ya!

Marty

Nelly is absolutely an abyssmal recording star. Eminem will nail that Urban nominee.

Spy Report:

Eminem, Springsteen Favored for Grammys
The Associated Press
Jan 6 2003 5:16PM

NEW YORK (AP) - Eminem and Bruce Springsteen were favorites to dominate Tuesday's Grammy nominations, but a chanteuse, a teen rocker and an R&B songbird could also be up for multiple honors.
Eminem, a five-time Grammy winner, had the year's top-selling album with ``The Eminem Show'' and also had a huge movie debut with ``8 Mile,'' the soundtrack of which was among the year's 10 best-selling discs.

``Eminem will definitely be nominated in several categories,'' predicted Bill Wilson, vice president and general manager at AOL Music.

But Springsteen, a seven-time Grammy recipient, may have had the year's most revered disc, the 9-11 inspired ``The Rising,'' which also was his best-selling record in years.

``I think it would be one of the biggest shocks in Grammy nominations history if Springsteen did not come away with a sizable number of nominations and leading the pack with album of the year,'' said John Norris of MTV News. ``He's the kind of artist, and it's the kind of record, that Grammy voters seem to go for.''

If Eminem were nominated for album of the year, few expect the kind of firestorm that accompanied his nomination in 2000. ``The Eminem Show'' was less polarizing than the misogynistic, epithet-filled ``The Marshall Mathers LP,'' and 2002 seemed to be the year that mainstream America embraced the Detroit rapper.

``I think Eminem is going to get his due this year,'' said Norris. ``I think that a lot of people felt like he should have won a couple of years ago with 'The Marshall Mathers LP.'''

That award went to Steely Dan.

Springsteen was nominated for album of the year in 1985 for ``Born in the U.S.A.,'' but lost out to Lionel Richie's ``Can't Slow Down.''

Unlike some previous years in which one artist clearly dominated the field, there are several top contenders this year - many of them new acts.

There is the quadruple-platinum debut from Avril Lavigne, a Canadian teenage rocker who helped turn youth interest away from teen pop; the triple-platinum debut of R&B singer Ashanti; and the year's surprise sensation, Norah Jones, whose jazz-inspired ``Come Away With Me'' sold more than 2.7 million discs.

``Norah Jones could even creep into the album of the year,'' said Wilson.

Other possible album-of-the-year contenders include the Dixie Chicks' ``Home,'' and Alan Jackson's ``Drive,'' which had the Sept. 11-inspired song ``Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning).''

Although rapper Nelly had the second best-selling disc of the year with ``Nellyville'' and two huge hits with ``Hot in Herre'' and ``Dilemma,'' he was a longshot to be nominated for album of the year. But Wilson and Norris both said those hits could be rewarded with a record-of-the-year nod and nominations in rap categories.

Other possible contenders for record of the year included Pink's ``Get the Party Started''; Lavigne's ``Complicated''; Santana's ``The Game of Love'' with Michelle Branch; Jones' ``Don't Know Why''; Eminem's ``Lose Yourself'' or ``Without Me''; Nickelback's ``You Remind Me''; and Vanessa Carlton's ``A Thousand Miles.''

For best new artist, likely nominees were Jones, Lavigne and Ashanti. Other possible contenders were John Mayer, the White Stripes and Josh Groban, the classically inspired baritone whose self-tited debut disc sold 2.7 million copies.

``In general, I think he'll get a bunch of nominations,'' said Wilson.

The Grammy nominations were to be announced at Madison Square Garden, where the awards will be held Feb. 23. This year, there are 104 categories, up from 101 last year.

MonaVox said:

:lol:
I know! :no: What the crap?!

;) I think we all have seen who really deserved it though.....

Yes, we have......and that person is Lionel. :wave: :p :mac: :macdevil:

*runs out of room* :macdevil:

this show is nearly as bad as the mtv awards and american music awards.

radiohead werent allowed to play because "theyd be bad for the ratings."

at least they dont have talent, but nsync does. same with avril lavigne.

Eminem, Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow, Ashanti, Norah Jones, Nelly and Avril Lavigne were each nominated for five Grammys apiece on Tuesday.

:drool: Springsteen. He'll probably perform, I bet. And I loveth Sheryl... ok on with the show

THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF RECORDING ARTS & SCIENCES, INC.
Final Nominations List
45th Annual GRAMMY? Awards
(For recordings released during the Eligibility Year October 1, 2001 through September 30, 2002
Note: More or less than 5 nominations in a category are as a result of ties)

GENERAL FIELD

Category 1 - Record Of The Year
? A Thousand Miles
Vanessa Carlton

? Without Me
Eminem

? Don't Know Why
Norah Jones

? Dilemma
Nelly Featuring Kelly Rowland

? How You Remind Me
Nickelback :)no:)

Category 2 - Album Of The Year
? Home
Dixie Chicks

? The Eminem Show
Eminem

? Come Away With Me
Norah Jones

? Nellyville
Nelly

? The Rising
Bruce Springsteen :tongue:

Category 3 - Song Of The Year
(Songwriter(s) Award)

? Complicated
Avril Lavigne & The Matrix, songwriters (Avril Lavigne)

? Don't Know Why
Jesse Harris, songwriter (Norah Jones)

? The Rising
Bruce Springsteen, songwriter (Bruce Springsteen)

? A Thousand Miles
Vanessa Carlton, songwriter (Vanessa Carlton)

? Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)
Alan Jackson, songwriter (Alan Jackson)

Category 4 - Best New Artist
? Ashanti

? Michelle Branch

? Norah Jones

? Avril Lavigne

? John Mayer

Category 5 - Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
? Soak Up The Sun :tongue:
Sheryl Crow

? Don't Know Why
Norah Jones

? Complicated
Avril Lavigne

? Get The Party Started
Pink

? Overprotected
Britney Spears :no:

Category 6 - Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
(For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.)
? 7 Days
Craig David

? Original Sin
Elton John :tongue:

? Your Body Is A Wonderland
John Mayer

? Fragile
Sting o_O

? October Road
James Taylor

Last edited:
Intermission....

Would you believe it if I told you U2 was up for a Grammy this year?

O yeah. Keep yer shirt on, Coldplay fans. It's coming...

Field 1 - Pop
Category 7 - Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal

? Everyday
Bon Jovi

? Girl All The Bad Guys Want
Bowling For Soup

? Where Are You Going
Dave Matthews Band

? Hey Baby
No Doubt

? Girlfriend
*NSYNC

Category 8 - Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals
? Dirrty
Christina Aguilera Featuring Redman

? Christmas Song
India.Arie & Stevie Wonder

? What A Wonderful World
Tony Bennett & kd lang

? Better Than Anything
Natalie Cole & Diana Krall

? It's So Easy
Sheryl Crow & Don Henley

? The Game Of Love
Santana & Michelle Branch

Category 9 - Best Pop Instrumental Performance
? Auld Lang Syne
B.B. King

? Blackbird
Dave Koz & Jeff Koz

? As It Is
Pat Metheny Group

? 18
Moby

? Playing With Fire
Kirk Whalum

Category 11 - Best Pop Vocal Album
(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

? Come Away With Me
Norah Jones

? Let Go
Avril Lavigne

? Rock Steady
No Doubt

? Missundaztood
Pink

? Britney
Britney Spears :crack:

Category 12 - Best Dance Recording

? Gotta Get Thru This
Daniel Bedingfield

? Days Go By
Dirty Vegas

? Superstylin'
Groove Armada

? Love At First Sight
Kylie Minogue

? Hella Good
No Doubt

Field 4 - Rock
Category 14 - Best Female Rock Vocal Performance

(For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.)

? Steve McQueen
Sheryl Crow :tongue:

? The Weakness In Me
Melissa Etheridge

? Sk8er Boi
Avril Lavigne (rock?!)

? Gnawin' On It
Bonnie Raitt

? Alone
Susan Tedeschi

Category 15 - Best Male Rock Vocal Performance
? Slow Burn
David Bowie

? 45
Elvis Costello
Track from: When I Was Cruel

? The Barry Williams Show
Peter Gabriel

? Darkness, Darkness
Robert Plant

? The Rising
Bruce Springsteen

Category 16 - Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

? Girls Of Summer
Aerosmith

? In My Place
Coldplay (there you go)

? My Sacrifice
Creed (GAH)

? Hero
Chad Kroeger Featuring Josey Scott (*shudder*)

? When I'm Gone
3 Doors Down

? Take Me As I Am
Tonic (TONIC IS BACK? O_O NO WAY)

? Walk On
U2
Track from: America - A Tribute To Heroes (Various Artists) (?any which way they can I guess ;) )

Category 17 - Best Hard Rock Performance
? All My Life
Foo Fighters

? I Stand Alone
Godsmack

? Youth Of The Nation
P.O.D.

? No One Knows
Queens Of The Stone Age :tongue:

? Aerials
System Of A Down

Category 18 - Best Metal Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

? Here To Stay
Korn

? Portrait
P.O.D.

? My Plague
Slipknot

? Get Inside
Stone Sour

? Never Gonna Stop (The Red, Red Kroovy)
Rob Zombie

[n]Category 19 - Best Rock Instrumental Performance[/n]
? Approaching Pavonis Mons By Balloon (Utopia Planitia)
The Flaming Lips

? Sco-Mule
Gov't Mule

? Apollo
Tony Levin

? Starry Night
Joe Satriani :tongue:

? Love Theme From The Godfather
Slash ( o_O WHOA )

Category 20 - Best Rock Song (I am cringing already?)
? All My Life
Foo Fighters, songwriters (Foo Fighters)

? Hero
Chad Kroeger, songwriter (Chad Kroeger Featuring Josey Scott) (o?god..)

? I Stand Alone
Sully Erna, songwriter (Godsmack)

? The Rising
Bruce Springsteen, songwriter (Bruce Springsteen) :tongue:

? When I'm Gone
Brad Arnold, Todd Harrell, Chris Henderson & Matt Roberts, songwriters (3 Doors Down)

Category 21 - Best Rock Album
(Vocal or Instrumental. Includes Hard Rock and Metal.)
? When I Was Cruel
Elvis Costello

? C'mon, C'mon
Sheryl Crow

? Dreamland
Robert Plant

? The Rising
Bruce Springsteen

? Head On Straight
Tonic

Category 22 - Best Alternative Music Album
? Sea Change
Beck :drool:

? Walking With Thee
Clinic

? A Rush Of Blood To The Head
Coldplay (and there you go again?drool to all of these except I don?t really know Elvis Costello?s music)

? Cruel Smile
Elvis Costello & The Imposters

? Behind The Music
The Soundtrack Of Our Lives

good to see beck wasnt nominated for album of the year, cause its not like its good or anything, and those other albums are.

worst show ever.

good work monsieur and madam grammy.

hey, but at least clinic was nominated! thats awesome! if they win that would be ok, but beck should win that last one. thats pretty much the only one i care about in the slightest.

Well at least Norah Jones, Coldplay, U2 and Beck were nominated. But I doubt any of them will win. :crack:

:lmao: Britney... nominated for a grammy! What a farce! :lmao:

just when i thought it couldn't get worse, NOTHING i like gets nominated...oh well...

I posted this in EYKIW but I think it belongs here.

I'm shocked at how many nominations Vanessa Carlton received! I have her album (actually brought it in today to listen to) but I'm still surprised. I figured Avril would be there b/c of her sheer popularity, and Norah who I think has the true talent, but Vanessa.. wow. Not that I don't like Vanessa, but she beat out Bruce for a "record of the year" position. Same with Nickleback. :eyebrow: I know their songs were played about 5000000 times a day in the summer, but aren't these supposed to be based on the music rather than popularity? ( :sexywink:) But surely Nickleback/Carlton did NOT make a song better than those Bruce did!

Album of the Year should be interesting, it'll be a fight between Eminem & Bruce IMO.

I also think Best New Artist will be a good race, I'd like to see Norah Jones win, the only one with a good set of everything.. john mayer a close second, but that huge waste of space in the middle of 'your body is a wonderland' drops him behind norah imho!

I wish u2 were nominated for the Boston DVD. can anyone explain that one? :scratch:

What about the sheer snub of the Chili Peppers?? I cant belive it. Nickelback and no Chili Peppers. Something is really screwed here.

U2LA said:
What about the sheer snub of the Chili Peppers?? I cant belive it. Nickelback and no Chili Peppers. Something is really screwed here.

hey ya! i didnt even think about that one. that is messed up.

U2LA said:

:sad:

Maybe because when they released the record they started the tour abroad instead of the US so it didn't really build momentum here. I can't believe it, though--a great, great record.

Back
Top Bottom