Grammy Nominations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't Feist nominated for "Best New Artist" last year, too?

Last edited:
I don't think the Grammy noms are any worse than usual. We all know they are going to be crap for the most part, so I don't know why everyone is so shocked. OK, I admit, I'm pissed that Magic didn't get nominated for Album of the Year, but other than that, eh, whatever.

kellyahern said:
R. Kelly performing it "live" on that MTV awards show was one of the most unintentionally hilarious things ever :up:

:yes:. My sister and I were nearly falling off the couch with laughter when we saw that.

Seriously, though, why is anybody still giving R. Kelly any attention?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
is it written into the grammy constitution somewhere that if u2 releases something in a given year they need to be nominated for at least one grammy?

LOL, that's a good question. I was thinking the same thing. I love U2, but it is funny how they seem to get in every year no matter what.

(Though if Nickelback beats them, I will cry)

Popmartijn said:
And Fergie's nominated again this year. :no:

:crack:. Dear sweet god, words cannot express how sick I am of that woman... At least it's for her most tolerable song, though, thank god, and not something like "Glamorous" *Gags*.

Yep, looks like we'll probably be watching this-my sister loves Bon Jovi, Daughtry, Keith Urban, and Maroon 5, and so she'll want to see them win some stuff. I'm happy to see "Falling Slowly" nominated for something, I fully agree that that song should win :up:. There's a few good things in that list...and some really crappy stuff, too. Strange mix...2007 was a very interesting year musically.

Also, thanks for making "Umbrella" stick in my head. I do believe that may be this generation's "Mickey".

I can see Amy Winehouse, Rihanna, and Kanye taking a few awards home. Plain White Ts...eh, that song was indeed very popular, but I dunno if they'll win. Hm.

Angela

Last edited:
ultravioletluvv said:
I'm so glad to see Eddie Vedder nominated. That entire soundtrack is so amazing! I'm not sure how they picked that song over a few others that are, imo, brilliant. But i will root for Eddie all the way!

it's a song writer's award... society and hard sun are covers, thus aren't eligable, and gauranteed is the only other song that's, ya know, actually a song.

I will say it again... "Falling Slowly" SO SO DESERVES THAT AWARD!! If not the best song of the year, IMO... :D

I will be so hurt if they don't get it.. :sad:

for those who haven't heard this song.. check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=938XY6DX02w

here's The Frames version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGJ8dY_IcgE&feature=related

geez, I gotta do better research...

they are up for 2!

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(Award to the Artist(s) and/or Producer(s) of a majority of the tracks on the album, or to the individual(s) actively responsible for the concept and musical direction and for the selection of artists, songs and producers, as applicable.)

Once
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova
[Canvasback/Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax]

Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
(A Songwriter(s) award. For a song (melody & lyrics) written specifically for a motion picture, television or other visual media, and released for the first time during the Eligibility Year. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Falling Slowly (From Once)
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, songwriters (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova)
[Canvasback/Columbia/Sony Music Soundtrax; Publisher: Copyright Control]

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

So a record is only worthwhile to be nominated when it has sold a lot of records?
I haven't heard the Foo Fighters record, so I can't comment on its quality, but the above statement is a bit confusing to me. Often we accuse the Grammys of only nominating well-selling records. And apparently, when they do pick a record that hasn't sold that well, we accuse them of nominating poor-selling records. :huh:

Not at all. I guess what I was trying to say was that I can think of other Foos albums (I am a casual fan, at best) that were more worthy of their nominations than this one was. From what I have heard of it, it's not their best effort.

Maybe they're in the "get a nomination every year for whatever we put out" category that U2 is. :hmm:

And yay for Eddie. Hope he wins. :up:

it's a song writer's award... society and hard sun are covers, thus aren't eligable, and gauranteed is the only other song that's, ya know, actually a song.

That makes sense. But actually, my favorite song is Long Nights. The whole soundtrack just flows so nicely. Don't they have an award for best soundtrack album?

I'm pretty surprised about The Boss getting dissed too. It's hard to call the voters Old Guard when they're nomming Foo Fighters over Bruce.

You thought Bruce would have been a shoo-in for the WIN after him and U2 lost to the O Brother soundtrack 5 years ago (they sure as hell made it up to U2). But to not even get shortlisted...shocking.

I'm pretty pleased about Alternative album, and wouldn't cry foul at any of them winning (even Lily). Though I'd love to see the Arcade Fire get some props over the rest.

As for the big awards, all I can say is AMY AMY AMY! So glad she's getting recognized. I hope she performs and blows the roof off the place, and how insane would the look on Kanye's face be if he lost again? If I had to vote, I'd say Kanye for album and Amy for song and record.

I agree with what Headache said about U2. Funny that it took the band so long to even get noticed by NARAS and now U2 is a give-me every year. Find that fairly lame. I also don't like nominations being given out for covers. Something not right about that.

So glad to see "Once" getting some notice because the soundtrack is amazing. Hopefully this will propel more people to buy the soundtrack and see the movie.

I'm also very glad that Ms. Amy got so many nominations because "Back to Black" is a tremendous album and she is so talented. I have my fingers crosses that she'll get herself in fighting shape and her music will once again be the focus.

Though probably not many here will agree, I was disappointed that Fall Out Boy (a huge-selling band) got no nominations for a really great album, "Infinity on High" Here's what Pete Wentz wrote about it:

got bitterness? vs. a revelation on true connection (and the award goes to).

the first reaction is jealousy mixed with a slight sense of entitlement. we just want to be a part of your club. we feel like the orphans in the movie the warriors, when we are just dying to be the baseball furies. the truth be told though when you explore it further than that you realize much more. other than the fact that we play the events for you and the right parties all the time (which is a bit embarrassing either for you or us, not sure which, possibly both. its kind of like being invited to a birthday party and then not allowed to eat the cake.)- it shouldnt mean much. (almost) noone in this industry has vision beyond the fear that this week is their last paycheck. we want our songs to be immortal and a statue doesnt do anything to help them live forever. it is the people that live and die with them in their ears and throats that give them life. we wont lie to you, accolades from our peers feel great. however, a fifty year old white man shouldnt decide whether we are relevant or not- and he doesn't. we wanted to thank you for making us feel relevant- for sitting up all night to get into our shows and for buying our music. it means more in the wake of moments like this. we know who we are based on those who would walk through hell with us. this is not a disappointment, rather a revelation on what is truly important. thanks.

from Bestweekever.tv

The Five Types Of Grammy “Best Album” Nominees

The 2008 Grammy nominees were announced today, and at the risk of implying that the annual statue factory that is the Grammy Awards is in any way relevant, let’s handicap the field for this year’s “Album of the Year” nominees, which kiiiind of resembles last year’s “Album of the Year” nominees, and the year before that…

1. The New Album By Rock N’ Roll Band That Grammy Voters Have Actually Heard Of Because They’ve Been Around For 10+ Years: “Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace” by Foo Fighters.

Past Nominees: “American Idiot” by Greenday, the last six or seven albums by U2

2. The Rap Album By Artist Who We’re Pretty Sure The Kids Are Listening To Because We Saw A Joke On Leno That Mentioned Him/Her, So We Might As Well Give Them One Nomination In a Category Without ‘Urban’ In The Title: “Graduation” by Kanye West

Past Nominees: “Late Registration” by Kanye West, “The College Dropout” by Kanye West

3. The Country Album That We Assume Is Probably Really Popular Because We Heard That Country Is Really Popular Because It Sells A Lot Of Albums: “These Days” by Vince Gill

Past Nominees: “Taking The Long Way” by the Dixie Chicks, “Come On Over” by Shania Twain

4. The Album By The Person Who We Heard Is Generating A Whole Bunch Of Controversy So They Must Really Be The Bee’s Knees: “Back To Black” by Amy Winehouse

Past Nominees: “The Marshall Mathers LP” by Eminem, “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” by Lauryn Hill

5. The Album That No One Has Heard Of Or Possesses Any Evidence That It Actually Exists, But Holy Sh*t, We Have To Let It Win: “River: The Joni Years” by Herbie Hancock, featuring Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Norah Jones, and Tina Turner.

Past Nominees: “Genius Loves Company” by Ray Charles, “Two Against Nature” by Steely Dan

Lila64 said:
from Bestweekever.tv

The Five Types Of Grammy “Best Album” Nominees

The 2008 Grammy nominees were announced today, and at the risk of implying that the annual statue factory that is the Grammy Awards is in any way relevant, let’s handicap the field for this year’s “Album of the Year” nominees, which kiiiind of resembles last year’s “Album of the Year” nominees, and the year before that…

1. The New Album By Rock N’ Roll Band That Grammy Voters Have Actually Heard Of Because They’ve Been Around For 10+ Years: “Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace” by Foo Fighters.

Past Nominees: “American Idiot” by Greenday, the last six or seven albums by U2

2. The Rap Album By Artist Who We’re Pretty Sure The Kids Are Listening To Because We Saw A Joke On Leno That Mentioned Him/Her, So We Might As Well Give Them One Nomination In a Category Without ‘Urban’ In The Title: “Graduation” by Kanye West

Past Nominees: “Late Registration” by Kanye West, “The College Dropout” by Kanye West

3. The Country Album That We Assume Is Probably Really Popular Because We Heard That Country Is Really Popular Because It Sells A Lot Of Albums: “These Days” by Vince Gill

Past Nominees: “Taking The Long Way” by the Dixie Chicks, “Come On Over” by Shania Twain

4. The Album By The Person Who We Heard Is Generating A Whole Bunch Of Controversy So They Must Really Be The Bee’s Knees: “Back To Black” by Amy Winehouse

Past Nominees: “The Marshall Mathers LP” by Eminem, “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” by Lauryn Hill

5. The Album That No One Has Heard Of Or Possesses Any Evidence That It Actually Exists, But Holy Sh*t, We Have To Let It Win: “River: The Joni Years” by Herbie Hancock, featuring Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Norah Jones, and Tina Turner.

Past Nominees: “Genius Loves Company” by Ray Charles, “Two Against Nature” by Steely Dan

Brilliant!:lmao: That couldn't be more accurate. Well done to Best Week Ever.:up:

is it written into the grammy constitution somewhere that if u2 releases something in a given year they need to be nominated for at least one grammy?

i mean i like the recording and all... but instant karma for best rock performance? really? come on

I think is funny too. But I'm almost positive that U2 will win one of those awards. I really hope that Hey There Deliliah doesn't win. It was originally released as a single back in 2005, or maybe earlier. I just got so dang sick of that song. It was everywhere. :crazy:

I do like the alternative choices, but i'm against the foo fighters winning. Amy Winehouse deserves props for her fantastic album. There are so few people that can pull off that kind of sound and she does it well.

If U2 does win it will be their 23 and or their 24th win. That is crazy!!! They have won more grammys than any other artist. True WITS and IK aren't their best work but they are so much better than some of the crap that was nominated. I don't usually watch the grammy's I will catch the highlights on youtube though.

lazarus said:
I'm pretty surprised about The Boss getting dissed too. It's hard to call the voters Old Guard when they're nomming Foo Fighters over Bruce.

You thought Bruce would have been a shoo-in for the WIN after him and U2 lost to the O Brother soundtrack 5 years ago (they sure as hell made it up to U2). But to not even get shortlisted...shocking.

I'm pretty pleased about Alternative album, and wouldn't cry foul at any of them winning (even Lily). Though I'd love to see the Arcade Fire get some props over the rest.

As for the big awards, all I can say is AMY AMY AMY! So glad she's getting recognized. I hope she performs and blows the roof off the place, and how insane would the look on Kanye's face be if he lost again? If I had to vote, I'd say Kanye for album and Amy for song and record.

the Boss is up for a couple I thought.. I saw that posted a few pages back..

let me go look...

here:
Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance
(For a solo vocal performance. Singles or Tracks only.)

Timebomb
Beck
[Interscope Records]

Only Mama Knows
Paul McCartney
Track from: Memory Almost Full
[MPL/Hear Music]

Our Country
John Mellencamp
Track from: Freedom's Road
[Universal Republic Records]

Radio Nowhere
Bruce Springsteen
Track from: Magic
[Columbia]

Come On
Lucinda Williams
Track from: West
[Lost Highway Records]

and

Best Rock Instrumental Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, without vocals. Includes Rock, Hard Rock and Metal. Singles or Tracks only.)

The Ecstasy Of Gold
Metallica
Track from: We All Love Ennio Morricone
[Sony Classical]

Malignant Narcissism
Rush
Track from: Snakes & Arrows
[Anthem/Atlantic]

Always With Me, Always With You
Joe Satriani
Track from: Satriani Live!
[Epic/Red Ink]

Once Upon A Time In The West
Bruce Springsteen
Track from: We All Love Ennio Morricone
[Sony Classical]

The Attitude Song
Steve Vai
Track from: Sound Theories Vol. I & II
[Epic/Red Ink]

and

Best Rock Song
(A Songwriter(s) Award. Includes Rock, Hard Rock & Metal songs. For Song Eligibility Guidelines see Category #3. (Artist names appear in parentheses.) Singles or Tracks only.)

Come On
Lucinda Williams, songwriter (Lucinda Williams)
Track from: West
[Lost Highway Records; Publishers: Warner-Tamerlane Publishing/Lucy Jones Music]

Icky Thump
Jack White, songwriter (The White Stripes)
Track from: Icky Thump
[Third Man/Warner Bros.; Publisher: Peppermint Stripe Music]

It's Not Over
Chris Daughtry, Gregg Wattenberg, Mark Wilkerson & Brett Young, songwriters
(Daughtry)
[RCA Records/19 Recordings; Publishers: Surface Pretty Deep Ugly Music, G Watt Music/EMI April Music, Warner-Tamerlane Publishing, Floating Leaf]

The Pretender
Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel & Chris Shiflett, songwriters (Foo
Fighters)
[Roswell/RCA Records; Publishers: M.J. Twelve Music, I Love The Punk Rock Music, Living Under A Rock Music, Flying Earform Music]

Radio Nowhere
Bruce Springsteen, songwriter (Bruce Springsteen)
Track from: Magic
[Columbia; Publisher: Bruce Springsteen]

and

Best Rock Album
(Vocal or Instrumental. Includes Hard Rock and Metal.)

Daughtry
Daughtry
[RCA Records]

Revival
John Fogerty
[Fantasy]

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Foo Fighters
[Roswell/RCA Records]

Magic
Bruce Springsteen
[Columbia]

Sky Blue Sky
Wilco
[Nonesuch Records]

Last edited:
Laz is specifically talking about the Album Of The Year category. Those other categories that Springsteen was nominated in aren't as big, and will most likely be awarded before the televised portion of the show.

I doubt Springsteen will show up anyway now.

phanan said:
Laz is specifically talking about the Album Of The Year category. Those other categories that Springsteen was nominated in aren't as big, and will most likely be awarded before the televised portion of the show.

I doubt Springsteen will show up anyway now.

ah I see.. thx.. I didn't see that reference when looking at that post, must of been a previous one that I missed..

My..bad..

and I agree, he should of gotten album of the year nom.. :up:

dsmith2904 said:
I agree with what Headache said about U2. Funny that it took the band so long to even get noticed by NARAS and now U2 is a give-me every year. Find that fairly lame. I also don't like nominations being given out for covers. Something not right about that.[/i]

Exactly. On what planet is Window in the Skies better than Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day or Pride (In the Name of Love)? As far as covers go, I understand nominating something like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt because he made it truly his own, but the U2 cover of Instant Karma isn't anything like that. I thought Green Day's cover of Working Class Hero was far superior.

Bono's shades said:
Exactly. On what planet is Window in the Skies better than Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day or Pride (In the Name of Love)?

On what planet is that necessary? SBS, NYD and Pride weren't released in the past year, hence they're not eligible.

As far as covers go, I understand nominating something like Johnny Cash's version of Hurt because he made it truly his own, but the U2 cover of Instant Karma isn't anything like that. I thought Green Day's cover of Working Class Hero was far superior.

I agree. In any case, Green Day is also nominated.

Popmartijn said:

On what planet is that necessary? SBS, NYD and Pride weren't released in the past year, hence they're not eligible.

I was referring to the fact that SBS, NYD and Pride didn't get nominated when they WERE eligible. And Pride was a Top 40 hit in the United States, so you would think ever the Grammy voters would be aware of its existence back in '84.

I liked both the "Instant Karma" and "Working-Class Hero" covers, myself (and I loved the video for the latter).

That's quite the interesting little bit Pete Wentz wrote there regarding the Grammys. I haven't heard their album, and Fall Out Boy's a band I don't really have an opinion on one way or another (though I gotta say, their song "This Ain't A Scene..." is catchy stuff), but I do agree that it is kinda weird they aren't in there. He's right, though, statues don't keep an artist popular, the fans do.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom