Grammar ...and stuff - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
The Fly
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Well, sure. If you check your old grammar book you'll see that it says there must be a "there" in that sentence. One of the goals of traditional grammars is to prescribe how the language should be used. It enforces an idea of correction and linguistic preservationthat is frequently divergent from what people actually do with language without compromising comprehension. Obviously, from such a point of view, the sentence is incorrect.

However, BrownEyedBoy's teacher does take this sentence as a good one, and she may have done it because, in the end, although we enforce a "good" and "correct" use of the language, the truth is that language is not owned by teachers and grammarians, but by all people who use it. At least that's what I believe being a grammar teacher myself.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:49 PM
Originally posted by bammo2

I'm English, and still think that you should say 'there' in that sentence. If someone said the sentence without the word 'there', I would think that they were using bad English
I agree. The first time I read that sentence I knew it wasn't right without the "there" in it. I would always put it in regardless of whether I was speaking or writing.

Old 06-03-2005, 04:17 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:49 AM
so, anyone figured out how many days there are in a week yet?