Grady Little gets the boot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox, still smarting from a bitter seven-game loss to the rival Yankees in the ALCS, will fire manager Grady Little on Monday afternoon, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

Gammons says the team has yet to schedule a news conference to make the announcement.

Monday's Boston Herald, citing a Red Sox source, reported that two candidates to succeed Little could be former Indians manager Charlie Manuel and former Red Sox second baseman Jerry Remy, a television analyst for NESN, a regional sports network partly owned by the Red Sox.

According to the report, others on the Red Sox list are Yankees third-base coach Willie Randolph, Yankees first-base coach Lee Mazzilli, Dodgers third-base coach Glenn Hoffman and former Phillies skipper Terry Francona, now the A's bench coach.

Little's dismissal has been hinted since the series ended. Although Boston's CBS affiliate, WBZ, reported Sunday that Little would be fired Monday, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein told ESPN on Sunday night that the report was not true.

Epstein said the team had begun its review of Little and hoped to make a decision on the manager's future "as soon as possible," but said that "no decision" had been made on whether to pick up Little's contract option for next season.

On Friday, a Red Sox official told the Herald that he would be "real surprised" if Little survived this offseason. Multiple team sources told the paper that all signs pointed to Little's option, which expires Friday, not being picked up.

"He's not (team president) Larry (Lucchino)'s guy -- if he were Larry's guy, (Lucchino) would have defended him by now," a source close to Little told the Boston Globe.

Earlier last week, Little said he was ready for the worst.

"I'm prepared for the likelihood," Little told the Globe. "I am not sure that I want to manage that team. That's how I felt when I drove out of town."

Little has been criticized for his decision to stick with tiring ace Pedro Martinez in the eighth inning of Game 7 against the Yankees. Martinez failed to hold a 5-2 lead, and New York won in the 11th inning on Aaron Boone's homer off knuckleballer Tim Wakefield.

The Red Sox have insisted that Little's future will not be determined by the one decision, but according to the Herald, the team was concerned about Little's lack of reliance on stats.

Many key Red Sox players, including Todd Walker and Manny Ramirez, publicly expressed support for Little's return.

In Little's two years as Red Sox manager, Boston was 93-69 and 95-67, and the Sox qualified for the playoffs this season for the first time since 1999. Little became the Red Sox' 43rd manager on March 11, 2002, after Joe Kerrigan was fired.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

dick vitale, of all people, was going off on the red sox organization on espn radio this morning about their plans to fire little... and the dickster made some good points...

how the heck do you fire a guy after two 90+ win seasons, and getting as close to the world series as this franchise has been since 1986? you're gonna throw all of that out because of one bad decision. that kinda sucks

grady little gets fired after two 90+ win seasons, and jim dolan gives don cheney a contract extension after missing the playoffs 2 years in a row... just proves once again that the knicks management lives in the bizzaro world.

Last edited:
Its not without precedent. Coaches have lost jobs before with winning records because of the inability to win it all...see Dusty Baker last year in Frisco as the most recent example.

i think once little said he didnt even know if he wanted to come back, they had no choice but to let him go then

Headache in a Suitcase said:
you're gonna throw all of that out because of one bad decision.

i still believe it was not a bad decision. pedro's your man, go with him. little was screwed either way. if he takes him out and the reliever gives up the runs, little would have been fired on the spot. in the situation you got to go with your ace. pedro at 75% is better than your relief pitcher at 100%

U2ME3 said:

i still believe it was not a bad decision. pedro's your man, go with him. little was screwed either way. if he takes him out and the reliever gives up the runs, little would have been fired on the spot. in the situation you got to go with your ace. pedro at 75% is better than your relief pitcher at 100%

no way, it was a terrible decision

for one reason or another pedro had no endurance this year

after pedro hit the 100 pitch count this year, batters hit .370 off of him

considering bostons bullpen was near flawless in the postseason it would be hard to believe that a pedro at 100+ pitches would be btter than what the bullpen could do

little flat out blew it

Back
Top Bottom