Goth appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Am I the only one in these forums who likes Goth music?

Probably.

Regardless, here are my favorite Goth/Gothesque bands:

The Cure - one of my all time favorite bands
AFI - (if you didnt know they're one of my favs, you're quite unobservant)
Bauhaus - fantastic band no one talks about any more.
Mission UK
Joy Division
Tiger Army (probably doesnt count, but they think they're goth)

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:

Joy Division

New Order... no Joy Division. What's the difference? I like most of the stuff you said, but I wouldn't classify my tastes by genre because most of the time I only like a select few within a "category"...

How aboot:

Lou Reed (not really goth, but funky nonetheless)
Ziggy Stardust (not really goth, but funky nonetheless)

Good calls Cujo.

Bad calls Gickies, I would have thought someone who likes Radiohead and Sigur Ros (both of these groups recent albums would have been classified as pure goth if they came out in the '80's) would atleast comment.

haha, i love reading other people write the word gickies. its like someone is tickling my eyeballs.

i guess i was thinking you were referring to marilyn manson type stuff, but your not, so i guess thats good.

Gickies Gageeze said:
i guess i was thinking you were referring to marilyn manson type stuff, but your not, so i guess thats good.

Heavens no

By the way, I hope you noticed my slightly anti-U2 fandom posts in Everything You Know Is Wrong.

Gickies Gageeze said:
haha, where?

In that one you were posting in. I cant remember, I think it was about U2 making albums more often.

Another band who made a few Gothesque songs and has some gothy lyrics that was really good:

Smashing Pumpkins

Last edited:
The Smiths? (I know you like them mofo)
Morrissey (maybe not goth, but dark anyway)

cujo said:
The Smiths? (I know you like them mofo)
Morrissey (maybe not goth, but dark anyway)

Yeah, I thought about them, but I just wasnt comfortable in classifying them as goth. I know that usually people who are into them will like oldschool goth stuff, or vice versa. I guess the lyrics were definitly darker than most stuff, so that is kind of the same feeling as goth stuff.

Re: Re: Re: Goth appreciation thread

arw9797 said:

Ziggy Stardust kicks ass.

Are you gettin' it
Armageddon it...

I thought arw would be "hysterical" about this...

Gee, arw...

I thought you would be the first to advocate the use of the words "Def Leppard" in this thread.

Re: Re: Re: Goth appreciation thread

arw9797 said:

Ziggy Stardust kicks ass.

Bauhaus actually covered Ziggy Stardust, so it must be goth.

you know... (you mentioned a Def Leppard concert in some thread a while ago)... it's ok, I'm famous for my lame jokes...

Gickies Gageeze said:
[B
i guess i was thinking you were referring to marilyn manson type stuff, but your not, so i guess thats good. [/B]

:|
What's so bad about someone liking Marilyn Manson type stuff? It's all a matter of taste, isin't it?

I happen to be a huge fan of MM and Nine Inch Nails. If you look past the image wheter it be shock value or Goth, the music happens to be kick-ass.

i like and have seen-
the cure
peter murphy
the mission uk
the cult and others.

now plez
shut up.

thank u
db9

u2loopy said:

:|
What's so bad about someone liking Marilyn Manson type stuff? It's all a matter of taste, isin't it?

I happen to be a huge fan of MM and Nine Inch Nails. If you look past the image wheter it be shock value or Goth, the music happens to be kick-ass.

Exactly. :yes:

u2loopy, the difference is that some music is good and other music is shit. youll also find tonnes of stuff that are in the middle (see travis).

if someone told you that u2 sucks and gave you every reason under the sun for their believe, youd think theyre rediculous. thats fine, i would think so too.

but it is of my believe that marilyn manson sucks and hasnt realised that his gig is up. actually it isnt up - it was up - 4 years ago.

amazing how his music doesnt stand up once all the hype is stripped. i imagine m+m will find himself in the same position in a couple of years.

Gickies, that's fine. And that's your opinion.

I was just stating that I am a fan of that type of music and there is nothing wrong with being a fan of that type of music. Whether you think it sucks or not. It's all a matter of taste.

I just addressed it because of your first post saying that it was a "good thing" that MM wasn't being referred to in this thread.

u2loopy said:
Gickies, that's fine. And that's your opinion.

I was just stating that I am a fan of that type of music and there is nothing wrong with being a fan of that type of music. Whether you think it sucks or not. It's all a matter of taste.

I just addressed it because of your first post saying that it was a "good thing" that MM wasn't being referred to in this thread.

Exactly, once again. :yes:

Gickies, that is YOUR opinion. Many of us still love MM's music and his personality. I love that whole scene. Perhaps his day in the sun has passed, but he still has a loyal fanbase.

ok, but music that promotes violance against gays, women, and pretty much everyone else just isnt my thing.

at least, not until tonite when i gather around the tv with my friends and watch "Desert Storm: The Sequel" on Fox!

Fox news rewwwls!!!!

Gickies Gageeze said:
ok, but music that promotes violance against gays, women, and pretty much everyone else just isnt my thing.

I see your point, and that is a pervading image of what MM stands for and is about as a band. However, I think with any musician that is controversial be it MM, Eminem, or even Ozzy, you're going to find the negative images that you're looking for if they're blatantly there or merely suggested.

FWIW, I'm a peaceful person - and MM's music and lyrics have always been very intelligent and poetic to me.

HelloAngel said:

FWIW, I'm a peaceful person - and MM's music and lyrics have always been very intelligent and poetic to me.

Ditto!

Strip away the surface and you would be surprised by what you find underneath.

Back
Top Bottom