Gossip Girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
So I downloaded this one after reading a recommendation in Time Out NY. Firstly, that should have been warning enough to not download it.

Either way, in case you didnt see it it is a kind of 'OC' meets 'Cruel Intentions' via 'Pretty In Pink'. However I do have to ask the obvious question - is this meant to be a comedy? The whole "girl comes back after hiding in shame for a year" scenario was ok, but the whole drunken sex with the best friends childhood boyfriend angle had me giggling. The repeated attempts at forced sexual intercourse by a drunken rich kid was in appallingly bad taste. I also noted that the peripheral sidekicks were an Asian girl and an African-American girl - all very PC - however all the leads were white and hot.

All in all I could not quite decide if they were trying to be purposefully offensive or this show is in fact a comedy.

Oh! And the scene where the 'poor girl' tries on dresses in a ritzy department store, then we see her at a sewing machine and then she is wearing an exact duplicate of the original expensive dress at a party is traight out of 'Pretty In Pink' or 'Not Another Teen Movie'.

Thoughts?

I watched it because I was bored and there was nothing else on whatever day it was on last week.

I laughed at pretty much everything - it was so ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be a comedy, but definitely along the same lines as The OC. Either I'm too old to understand this type of show (and the age group it deals with), or the writers really really suck.

It was horrible, but so horrible it amused me. I won't waste my time watching another episode.

See - that is my exact point! Teen show tends to be a bit smarter these days ('Mean Girls' anyone?) thus I assumed this to be a black comedy. In that respect it is extremely overtop and could be just bad enough to be good. I'll check out episode 2 just to see how bad it can get before writing it off :)

I thought it was pretty good for what it was (and I didn't watch the OC or any other shows of that ilk). I'll keep watching and see if I get sucked in or get bored.

Back
Top Bottom