Goodbye to the Double Deckers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
End Of The Road For Routemaster Bus

bus2.jpg

It's the end of the road today for London's iconic Routemaster bus.The red double-decker bus is being axed after nearly 40 years of ferrying passengers around the capital's roads.Bus enthusiasts will queue from early today for the chance to be on the last jump on, jump off Routemaster ever to run in London.
Forty lucky passengers will join dignitaries on the 159 route bus as it completes the last scheduled journey.
Expected to be watched by big crowds, the 159 - operated by transport company Arriva - will travel from a stop in Oxford Street close to Marble Arch and arrive about an hour later at Brixton Garage in south London.
The journey, which will take the bus past such London landmarks as Big Ben and Nelson's column, will be the last chapter in a story that begun in 1956 when the first Routemaster begun passenger services.
Fittingly, the 1968-built bus on the final run - known as RM 2217 - was the last-ever to be manufactured.
At one time there were almost 3,000 Routemasters operating in London.
But the move towards driver-only operations and concerns about safety and accessibility has led to a gradual phasing out of the much-loved London icon.
London Mayor Ken Livingstone once said only a "moron" would axe the Routemaster.
But even he has now accepted the bus has come to the end of the road with issues over accessibility meaning the disabled cannot use it.
It is not quite the end for the Routemaster as around 20 have been retained to run on two tourist - or "heritage" - routes.

bus3.jpg

thats a bummer -
they should modify them and turn them into little diners that would be primo!

{paintedroses} said:
Phew I thought this was going to be about the chocolate bars for a minute then!

doubledecker.jpg
:drool::drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

they haven't got rid of the red double decker buses, just the really old dangerous decrepit ones that you could fall off whilst they were driving along

they were cool as fuck, but I see where they were coming from in this age of law suits

yeah I can imagine that. even when I went to london last year with some family and went on a tour bus, it was one of the routemaster buses. so tourists will always be able to have a go on a 'hop on, hop off' bus.

And I have to admit, as much as I love the routemasters, pretty much every time I've been to london (which is a lot) I've seen people come a cropper jumping on or off of them. they are pretty dangerous :uhoh: :lol:

carrieluvv said:
thats a bummer -
they should modify them and turn them into little diners that would be primo!

Bummer, I didn't get over the pond to see them before they are gone....and I agree I think making them into littel diners would be a great idea...of rolling pubs or something kitchy for tourists!

Back
Top Bottom