good lord, accept my apology and may I rephrase my question? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
Babyface

Local Time: 01:37 PM
good lord, accept my apology and may I rephrase my question?

alright friends! I'm taken aback by the negative feedback my thread received! no harm was meant!

but really, somebody said to go count the people in the picture thread. go count people in a picture thread??? that's your answer? that's not gonna give me an accurate indication, is it? this is a sensitive place I just found out! wow, sorry to offend all of you, no harm intended as I said I'll say again, I'm a little crude I guess. lol, as you say.

so I'll take it from your responses there are a few african-american U2 fans here and there I doubt there are any Bon Jovi or Metallica!

part of my curiosity is based on whether the african-american U2 fans are upper, middle or lower class (talking income level). maybe this was the wrong forum? (I dunno what's what you have like 800 subcategories around here, strange confusing place you have here who can tell)

seriously though, I will NOT be counting the picture thread, that was a pretty bad idea, you have to admit!

Old 04-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I've wondered this myself, I have no clue what the answer is

Old 04-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 AM
You obviously haven't been to any concerts or you wouldn't be asking this question.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Babyface

well you see almost zero african-americans at US sporting events like the NBA and NFL, yet I know they like those sports (and obviously fill out their rosters)

would a kid from the ghetto ever have a U2 cd mixed in with his DMX or 50 Cent cds? maybe Colin Powell's kid likes U2, although maybe not his kid was the FCC chairman and fined Bono I think for saying "fucking unbelievable!" but you get the idea
Old 04-19-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
hmm, I dunno, the only one I know is Mark. I'd say it's very fair to say U2 fans are predominantly "white". However, that doesn't mean most U2 fans are the same (policitally economically, etc) simply because their skin is relatively similar. If you're only comparing white vs. black/African-American, you're basically lumping gazillions of types of people who are as different to each other as whites are to African-Americans into a single category. Not that these differences really matter.

As far as people of lower income levels, regardless of color, I think you find less and less U2 fans. In Chicago some local school kids from a lower-class neighborhood were hanging out by us all day. None of them had ever heard of U2. When Bono stopped by the fence, we had one of the little boys with us and he had no clue what was going on.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by D-503
well you see almost zero african-americans at US sporting events like the NBA and NFL, yet I know they like those sports (and obviously fill out their rosters)

You are kidding me?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #7
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
You obviously haven't been to any concerts or you wouldn't be asking this question.
what do you mean? I said in the thread that was so rudely closed (albeit I was rude for saying 'any brothers up in here') that I have been to 5 concerts over the years, and don't recall seeing african-americans. have you? apparently so from your flippant response! (either that or you looked at the picture thread and counted for yourself, lol, still a BAD idea!)
Old 04-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

What shows have you seen live, and have you watched the Chicago DVD?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

what do you mean? I said in the thread that was so rudely closed (albeit I was rude for saying 'any brothers up in here') that I have been to 5 concerts over the years, and don't recall seeing african-americans. have you? apparently so from your flippant response! (either that or you looked at the picture thread and counted for yourself, lol, still a BAD idea!)
Oh man. I've been to a few concerts and I've seen many different races at these concerts. So please, cut the bullshit.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #10
Babyface

kidding about what??? is it not odd to you that african-americans love basketball and football, dominate the percentage of players on the teams and yet none attend the games? what is so disturbing to you about that observation other than the troubling realisation that african-americans don't seem to be able to afford ridiculous prices to sporting events

I have to learn these smilies so my posts can be whittled down to 3 words or less.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #11
Babyface

hey take it easy buddy, I know I know, you have lots of black friends

I stand corrected, U2 meets the required quota of ethnicities! seriously, no reason to get all worked up about this, I'm not saying U2 is racist or anything, what the hell. with songs like Pride and MLK over the years, I just wondered if there was a solid fan base in the african-american community, hasn't this question ever come up before??? I find it hard to believe if you tell me no, I guess no one knows or cares? great.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I still haven't seen your answer on what shows you have attended, or any solid statistics from you on the NBA, NFL, or U2.
Perhaps polls have not been conducted?

Obviously, the diveristy of a crowd will vary based on the diversity of the city being played. A Toronto show will have more diversity than say, Salt Lake City. Good luck in finding your answers.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:47 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
kidding about what??? is it not odd to you that african-americans love basketball and football, dominate the percentage of players on the teams and yet none attend the games? what is so disturbing to you about that observation other than the troubling realisation that african-americans don't seem to be able to afford ridiculous prices to sporting events
What's disturbing are the extreme generalizations you're making based on seeing less than 10 U2 concerts and watching sports on TV. Seriously, along your lines of thinking I might as well come back with the fact that I've never seen a white person driving and Escalade.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:58 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

I think it's an interesting question from a sociological/anthropological perspective, and valid, as well. Different racial groups can have different preferences in entertainment, with some exceptions within groups, of course. And from a socio-economic perspective, as well. Some groups have higher tendencies to lower incomes or poverty, which could preclude them from attending certain forms of entertainment. It's not racist, it's fact.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 AM   #15
musicidalist

Ok, the use of the word brothers is not what got your thread closed. I think everyone but you seems to realize this. As this is a spin off thread I could easily close this again as it is against the rules. Please read the FAQs if you do not know what I am talking about.

But fine, I will cut you a small break and let this remain open since you're new here and quite possibly just getting a feel for things. I think a lot of us would just appreciate it if you didnt make so many broad generalizations about race.

At the end of the day, so what if U2 does not appeal to all ethnic backgrounds in a general sense?

And hate to play into this, I know at least 5 people that somehow missed the boat and are huge U2 fans instead of rap fans.