good lord, accept my apology and may I rephrase my question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bonosgirl84 said:

i can't believe it was left open.

i mean, either spinoff threads are allowed or they aren't.

Not always that simple.

This could be an interesting discussion if its discussed properly.

ntalwar said:
D-503, I was wondering what your opinion is on the collaboration of U2 with Mary J. Blige, and touring with Kanye West. We've had many threads on this (which always seem to get closed). I suspect you would see the collaboration as a positive development, and an effort on the part of U2 to broaden their fan base. Am I correct?

U2 is always trying to broaden their fan base, I'm not sure they are concerned with fans who can't afford their concert tickets and merchandise any more than people who have significant hearing loss. but I do think they like and respect many african-american artists, that's well established, also inviting Kanye West out on tour with them keeps up the appearance that they are still hip (without the hop). it'd be interesting to find out what the demographics are for attendees of Kanye West or Mary J Blige shows not connected with U2.

D-503 said:

U2 is always trying to broaden their fan base, I'm not sure they are concerned with fans who can't afford their concert tickets and merchandise any more than people who have significant hearing loss. but I do think they like and respect many african-american artists, that's well established, also inviting Kanye West out on tour with them keeps up the appearance that they are still hip (without the hop). it'd be interesting to find out what the demographics are for attendees of Kanye West or Mary J Blige shows not connected with U2.

I'm not sure that U2 are always trying to broaden their fan base. They only returned to South America after 8 years, and they seem to neglect many regions of the world on their tours.
You also are focusing only on the attendees of concerts and sporting events. Only a fraction of the album buyers or sports fans see the event live. U2 also appreciate those that simply buy or enjoy their music.

Regarding concert ticket affordability by race, you might be surprised by the variety of genres of the musicians currently on tour (see Ticketmaster). Some people of all races simply cannot afford to attend concerts or sporting events, especially when there are so many. With an average price of $97, U2 tickets are among the least affordable.

Last edited:
ntalwar said:

I'm not sure that U2 are always trying to broaden their fan base. They only returned to South America after 8 years, and they seem to neglect many regions of the world on their tours.

ok, maybe they concentrate primarily on broadening their fan base in the United States by writing music for the adult contemporary crowd. (same people ironically who seem to have the most disposable income)

some people can afford the $97 U2 ticket, and some cannot. some people can afford $97 but would rather go to 3 different shows for $32.33 each. these are all variables. the original question still remains.

D-503 said:

ok, maybe they concentrate primarily on broadening their fan base in the United States by writing music for the adult contemporary crowd. (same people ironically who seem to have the most disposable income)

some people can afford the $97 U2 ticket, and some cannot. some people can afford $97 but would rather go to 3 different shows for $32.33 each. these are all variables. the original question still remains.

I paid $49.95 for my ticket in Buffalo and $59.95(CND) for one in Toronto. Other acts on par with U2 were charging alot more than that so I'm not sure what your saying.

I've sort of lost track of the original question as well.
:wink:

If the question is the income class of U2 fans - my guess would be middle and upper class.

Last edited:
CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

I paid $49.95 for my ticket in Buffalo and $59.95(CND) for one in Toronto. Other acts on par with U2 were charging alot more than that so I'm not sure what your saying.

The best seats cost $160, and it averaged out to $97. The Rolling Stones' average was $134 I believe.

the original question was, do african-americans go to U2 concerts, it was my observance that there wasn't many if any, and is that because there simply aren't many african-american U2 fans, or because african-americans generally can't afford the tickets since they average out to $97

D-503 said:
the original question was, do african-americans go to U2 concerts, it was my observance that there wasn't many if any, and is that because there simply aren't many african-american U2 fans, or because african-americans generally can't afford the tickets since they average out to $97

Ok - thanks for rephrasing it. Several people have said yes - they do attend U2 shows, although in fewer numbers. I'm not an expert as to why or why not - at the end doesn't it come down to liking the music? I know plenty of people of all races who detest U2, and cannot understand my passion for them - that includes friends and family.

D-503 What the hell does a person income level have anything to do with being a U2 fan,either you like the music or not.I never been to a U2 concert and money had nothing to do with it.I have all of U2's recordings and imports.Why? Because I think U2 is a great band since the first album.You are not a racist D-503,you are ignorant or how about this a bigot.Do you know what a gheto is D-503? look it up,it is not just a place where black people live.Who told you black people do not have computers?I have one. I know other blacks and latinos that have two,so what that is not my business.Well beautiful there you have I am a black man.And from the bronx to go figure.I respect freedom of speech but when ignorance and bigotry sets in not just towards blacks but any race i'm not going to sit by and say Oh Well.I know many whites who like rap and do not even care aboyt U2,am I supposed to treat them like a lost case.No I respect them and share with them.There are other blacks here D-503 respect them and others.We have feelings to. God bless best wishes to all:hug: :hug: :hug:

wha?

there was just a hint of satire in my original approach to this topic, it was taken as racism and bigotry and ignorance, I was trying to be provocative and spark some discussion, but people would like to dissect language, that's inevitable I guess on the internet and the PC world we live in. again, I apologise if you are truly upset, that would actually be a shame if you let something like that upset you.

so anyway, I'm not saying someone is inferior for not liking U2, where did that come from, maybe you associate human decency with income level or are defensive about it but I don't make that assumption, ok?

Once again individuals like your self use PC as sn excuse for bigotry.How dare you patronize me to say "It would be a shame if I let something like that upset me" It is about Respect for others.I never mentioned anything about inferior,that is the way you interpret it D-503.Human decency has nothing to do with income level.It is a quality we all have,and I believe you have it.Being provocative is about being thoughtful not thoughtless.D-503 all you had to say was,is there any african-americans on interference instead of that jive you laid on us that is all.Do not get me wrong,I am not trying to tell you what to do. I would be more than happy to respond to you or any one else,that is why we are all here for. Best wishes to you D-503 and to everybody at interference. Take care.:) :applaud:

people here are so polite it's making me a little nauseous, I wasn't trying to have you all like me and tell me how swell I am so I could have a thread about how I am the bomb or whatever it is you folks do to congratulate yourselves here.

bottom line: a fair representation of african-american fans really are at the concerts and the sporting events, I'm just imagining things!

great, very productive thread. lol!

D-503 said:
well you see almost zero african-americans at US sporting events like the NBA and NFL, yet I know they like those sports (and obviously fill out their rosters)

That's fucking retarded. Have you ever been to the South (like, I dunno.. ATLANTA or NEW ORLEANS??) Or New York, or even Los Angeles? Try doing some research into the teams and cities in those areas and perhaps you'll learn something about the diversity of races that support the teams by going to the games.

What do you care about what sporting events and concerts African-Americans attend or do not attend? Are you trying to prove a point you have decided to yourself about that race and demographic? I don't know where you live, man, or what events you've been to (that you are conveniently not revealing) but I think maybe your observations are a bit uneven.

D-503 you just exposed your self.I was not congratulating my self,that applaud is for everyone including you.You like to twist things around to justtify your arrogance.

VintagePunk said:

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the bright side -- this is turning into a good popcorn munching while you watch cat fight. :)

Well I think its time to close it.

Please DO NOT start this topic again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom