Good Bye Mark Waugh - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2002, 02:15 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Good Bye Mark Waugh

What a sad loss to Australian and International cricket
My favourite player gone
We could have at least had him go out on a farewell game at Sydney for God's sake.
Cricket will never be the same for me again.
*sniff*

Old 10-28-2002, 02:57 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Yeah this sucks hey, we all knew it was imminent. but I didnt think it would happen this quickly, bummer, but still I cant wait for cricket season, although ti is going to be boring with the Poms and all- wont be much of a competition

Old 10-28-2002, 04:24 AM   #3
War Child

yes he was a great player manda, but he knew it was time and respected the decision. His performance at the press conference today was memorable and he has won even more of my respect for how he handled it.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:26 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Of course it was time, but i still think the ACB could have shown him a little more respect.
Theyve done to so many now, so why would he be any different...
An amazing player whom ive had the pleasure of watching many, many times at the SCG.
He was fantastic at the press conference, Michael and held himself wonderfully. A lot more dignifed than one Kim Hughes.

He'll always remain my fave player and I shall miss seeing him bat while sitting in the Ladies Stand. My summers wont be the same.

Thanks for many years of wonderful memories Mr Waugh
Old 10-28-2002, 07:06 AM   #5
Refugee

BONO!

yes the end for 'bono'

if anyone ever saw him bowl you'd swear you saw Bono

i recall the Australian Wicketkeeper miked up calling him 'Bono' when he was bowling several times
Old 10-29-2002, 01:28 AM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:08 PM

Yes he was good at the press conference, but there really is no room for sentiment these days, you might recall Ian Healy's retirement, he was denied a final farewell game at the Gabba even though it was the 1st match of the summer! So in terms of respect he got as much as any other player, particularly when you take into account the fact that he was never dropped for even one match after 1993.

Mark Waugh's final career record could be seen as disappointing, to average 41 is by no means bad but with his talent you wonder why it wasnt say 4 or 5 runs better (bear in mind that someone like Greg Matthews managed to average 41 in his test career!). If you see Mike Coward's article in today's Australian I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:54 AM   #7
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:08 PM
though this is probably good for Aussie cricket
my heart still says "ouch"
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-30-2002, 02:25 AM   #8
War Child

Personally its a tragic event for me.I thought I'd see him play live in a test match....but as he so rightly said, there isnt much fairy tale in sports.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:35 AM   #9
War Child

One of the best cover drives in the game

The Big 3

Who can forget the leg glances
Old 10-30-2002, 07:14 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Mark Edward Waugh was the most natural and stylish batsmans you can imagine.

The most bad part of all this is that ACB considers Lehmann(32) to be a better player than M Waugh(37). I assume Lehmann made a lot of runs in domestic matches but a Test Match at international level is a different game altogether.

I have many fond memories of watching Mark on television for last 10-12 years...amazing and entertaining cricketer .. unbelieveable catching.

My tributes to the one the few most elegant players of our generation.

We will miss you Mark...

AcrobatMan
Old 10-30-2002, 08:00 AM   #11
New Yorker

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
The most bad part of all this is that ACB considers Lehmann(32) to be a better player than M Waugh(37). I assume Lehmann made a lot of runs in domestic matches but a Test Match at international level is a different game altogether.

AcrobatMan
Sigh, i sincerely hope people don't turn on Lehmann cos of who he's replacing, he has done more to earn selection than anyone else in the game, Mark Waugh knows better than most how hard it is to get inot the test team, hed scored 7000 odd test runs at 50 plus b4 he got a chance. Lehmann had scored even more before his debut, and significantly he has been rated the best aussie batsman outside the test team for about ten years now, that's a bloody long time. People say test cricket is a step up, but gawd, if you don't give a guy like Lehmann a chance ahead of a faltering senior player then cricket is too cliquey and we might as well all give up.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:16 AM   #12
War Child

Darren Lehmann has more than earned his spot.I am very happy that he has replaced Mark Waugh.Although Michael Clarke seems to be on right track along with Simon Katich, but Lehmann is the man of the middle order. There would be only two things against him

1 He has replaced an aussie legend
2 He isnt a Ricky Ponting in the field, this would be a big challenge for him in ODIs

But I wish him luck!

Now for Ashes, what I fail to understand why Matt Nicholson hasnt played much for Australia.Maybe is not very consistent, what d'you reckon brettig....cause he has raw speed and an effetive fast bowlers length?
Old 10-30-2002, 01:07 PM   #13
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ishkash
Personally its a tragic event for me.I thought I'd see him play live in a test match....but as he so rightly said, there isnt much fairy tale in sports.
I know that feeling
I might have to hurry up if I don't want too miss out on Steve too
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 10-30-2002, 11:30 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I know that feeling
I might have to hurry up if I don't want too miss out on Steve too
If yer not careful the whole team will have retired by the time you get out here

and Re: Matt Nicholson, he's had injury and a period a season or two ago when he could hardly land the ball on the square. If he can have a good home season for WA he's a chance of going to the West Indies in March 2003. at 28 he's got a few years on Andy Bichel and at the present time he's a more reliable wicket taker than Brett Lee...(can u tell im not a fan )
Old 10-31-2002, 01:45 AM   #15
War Child

I think Australia's nex gen of batting line up ready.I saw some highlights of Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Mike Hussey. They all look solid and I am sure they'd get the colors pretty soon. The in betweens like Jimmy Maher, Brad Hodge are quite competitive.So the batting looks quite solid for the future.

I am not too sure about the bowling. Brad Williams he is strong but nothing spectacular.Nathan Bracken can be a lefty McGrath, honestly the nex gen bowler is what I'd be worried about. I can't see anyone taking over the current as effective as compared to batting line up.

Lastly for Brett Lee, I think he is a type of bowler whom one has to carry a bit. I think its a bit harsh on him to expect something what McGrath does.