Good Blues Records?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Having recently purchased a Stevie Ray Vaughan album I am getting into blues music. Can anyone familar with this music recommend other good blues artists or records?

I have a feeling John Lee Hooker might be a good place to start but he seems to have made an awful lot of records in a long career - can anyone recommend a good one to start with or suggest some good blues records in general?

Any responses appreciated!

John Lee Hooker - The Healer
Muddy Waters
(or the Paul Rodgers - Tribute to Muddy Waters)

And if you like a bit of blues-rock 'n roll you should listen to the Paladins. Try their album Million Mile Club (live album).

I'm not much of a blues expert, but I can really enjoy the above albums.

For some very unpolished, juke-joint blues check out Junior Kimbrough. "Discovered" late in his life, this guy was the real deal and Bono, I've read, was a big fan.

Muddy Waters - His Best: 1947-1955 AND 1956-1964

John Lee Hooker - The Very Best of... (Rhino)

B.B. King - Live at the Regal (considered the best live blues album)

Taj Mahal - The Best of Taj Mahal (not as well known, but great stuff - more soulful and acoustic)

Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea (just about the loudest blues you will ever hear)

Robert Johnson - he only made about 30 songs, which are bad quality, but are essential as most people followed him

Plenty of others too, but that is probably a good starting point with some extra variety (Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy) thrown in.

OK that's great. Thanks for replies. Enough there to be getting on with.

Back
Top Bottom