Goo Goo Dolls - Iris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowbunny00774

ONE love, blood, life
Just wondering what people's interpretation of this song is and the meaning of it to them. It's kind of important so all feedback would be appreciated :)

^ thanks...that's exaaacccttlllyyy what I was looking for!!

:wink:

I think the setlist partiers should comment on this tonight - Please!!

i think it's a beautiful song.
to me, it's about a person who has fallen in love with his/her perfect soulmate. they're made for eachother, and there is no one else. but then he sings
"And all I can taste is this moment
And all I can breathe is your life
'Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight"

so maybe something bad is happening or about to happen, and all he can do is cherish what they have.
he doesn't really care about the rest of the world at this point, he just wants his love to know who he is, and to understand him (as she is the only one he thinks will understand him).

"I just want YOU to know who I am."

i also wondered about the title. Iris is a girl's name. that could be the lover the song directed towards.
I'd like to think that iris refers to the part of the eye, the part that does the seeing. everyone has their own point of view, and we'll never know what the world will look like through someone else's eyes, but he just hopes that their views are the same, and that she sees what he wants her to see - and that's his love for her, and who he is, and why they're meant for eachother!

i don't know i coudl be totally wrong, but that's always what i took it to meant =)

^^ thanks tuwie

That was exactly the kind of insight I was looking for.
It is beautiful, I just hate the whole
"'Cause sooner or later it's over
I just don't want to miss you tonight" part.
It's not really helpful to me if it's over after this....
I guess it goes back to the whole "is it better to have loved than not" thing or whatever way it is phrased....

:(

Last edited:
Well it was in the movie City of Angels where I believe Nicholas Cage gives up being an angel in order to live with a human, Meg Ryan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So I guess this gives meaning to the line "I'll give up forever to touch you" I believe it goes.

Well John wrote about the movie. He watched the early versions of the movie and based it about that. So it is litterally about an angel that has fallen to earth and gives up everything to have love as a human.

I find it a bit cheesy, personally, but I think when I'm in one of those moods it's also pretty sweet.

I remember a guy play it in a cafe once after an entire set of Oasis covers. It was pretty cool.

sentimental purposes aside, this song is 7ust like everything else.

...but somehow sentimental always wins.

:(

meh.

this song sounds like anything and everything.

it's the epitome of wallpaper music.

I liked this song when I was 15 or 16.

I don't have much love for it now, though.

I think it would be a good song, outside of social context... but overexposure and overinterpretation just seem to cheapen stuff.

gherman said:
Well John wrote about the movie. He watched the early versions of the movie and based it about that. So it is litterally about an angel that has fallen to earth and gives up everything to have love as a human.
wow you learn something new everyday =) i didn't know he wrote it for a movie!

yes, it is an emotional song. there was this one live performance they had of this song on launch.yahoo.com (music.yahoo.com) but they took it off recently for some reason. they were playing this song, and it was raining, and it just felt so surreal watching them playing it with all the passion humanely possible, and seeing a ginormous crowd of people singing back every word to them and swaying like little a rustling cornfield ;] then johnny held out his mic to them, and it just felt so powerful (the crowd singing in the rain).
ok that description probably sounded really cheesy for those of you who haven't seen it and thus do not know what i'm talking about, but trust me, it was a real GooGoo Dolls moment ;]

Zoomerang96 said:
then you haven't listened to a lot of music. there's no two ways around it.

You know, it's about feelings and personal experiences...............I understand not many "scientists" out there can get this......................................

Last edited:
It's a great 90's song, but it's not blow-my-mind away amazing. It's become synonymous with City of Angels for me at this point.

I have an acoustic version of this song that I can share with you. It's much shorter than the regular version. (Sorry, I'm not familiar with The Goo Goo Dolls and aside from this song, I'd rather not be.)

http://www.YSI.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B5804BE91FA51228

PlaTheGreat said:
It's a great 90's song, but it's not blow-my-mind away amazing. It's become synonymous with City of Angels for me at this point.

I have an acoustic version of this song that I can share with you. It's much shorter than the regular version. (Sorry, I'm not familiar with The Goo Goo Dolls and aside from this song, I'd rather not be.)

http://www.YSI.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B5804BE91FA51228

The song is severely overplayed, but it's a pretty damn good pop song. I also read somewhere that Johnny Reznik wrote it immediately after seeing the movie...pretty impressive.

gherman said:

ie, identical to Stay.

Well there are times when I feel like listening to 'Iris' and I'll bloody listen to it.

I mean, sure, it probably is the epitome of wallpaper music, but sometimes I'm in the wallpaper music mood.

Yertle - I guess what I am asking is - why will you bloody listen to it?

COBl- What mood do you have to be in to listen to it?

babyman - What about it is emotional to you and what resonates with you?

Details people!!!

I'll be a total geek and say that this song just ooozes Remus Lupin from Harry Potter. Especially in regards to the last book.

:nerd:

Back
Top Bottom