Golf and Auto Racing - Sport or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
This is a follow up to the recent games question.

I think both are sports but many people do not.

Discuss.

PGA golf - yes. You are required to walk the entire 18-hole course during play and that's enough to qualify it even without the skill part of driving the ball into the tiny hole.

Auto racing - this is trickier but I'd also say it's definetly a sport. And before you say, "Woah, it's just fat guys sitting in cars turing left for 300 laps", Formula 1 drivers are subjected to up to 3.5 Gs of force every turn on the track. They sweat away up to 3kg of their body weight during a race, and must be very well-conditioned to endure a race length in extremely hot temperatures inside a car's cockpit. You'll also find many stock car drivers in the same shape, as you have to be in-shape enough not to pass out in the cockpit of a race car during a race. The temperature of the gas pedal during the modern era could exceed 330 degrees F and the cockpit temperature of the enclosed car can exceed 130 degrees F.

And that's just the physical demands, not saying anything about the reflexes, judgement, and reaction time needed.

So I'd say both are sports.

Last edited:
I think anything that requires hand/eye coordination or rapid reflexes in 3 dimensions (i.e. not on a computer screen :wink: ) is a sport - archery, shooting, auto racing, even table tennis (at the Olympic level), etc.

Hmm, regarding table tennis, I have played games where I have worked up a huge sweat and I was not at the Olympic level. I was pretty decent at it though. I consider table tennis at sport too.

I agree Canadiens, auto racing is extremely demanding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom