Going to Italy - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Going to Italy

Anyone have any stories to tell? Plan is we'll hit Rome, Venice, Florence (sure I misspelled).

Gonna be there for 2 weeks, and I just kind of curious if there are things to definitely do, things to really avoid, and anything else interesting.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:09 AM
That's awesome! Last time I was there I was only 8 so I'm afraid I cant be of much help

Old 06-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:09 PM
In Rome, go to the San Pietro and the vatican... I'm not religous at all, but man was that impressive!!!!!
in Florence I liked the museum with the David in it, and there was a nice market be sure to touch the wild boar statue on one of the squares it's a legend saying that he who touches the statue shall once return to Firenze!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Sweet! Have a great time.

+Jealous+
Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Nice I've been a few times in Italy, though I've never visited Venice or Rome! but next time I will Florence was very beautiful and so is the rest of Tuscany as well. I visited the art museum in Florence, we were only in the city for about one day and then we went on to Siena and other places, so I didn't really get the chance to see that much of Florence eitherXD But I will definitely go back there some time. have a nice trip
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 PM
In Florence, go to the top of the Duomo. You get an amazing view!! Plus Tuscany is gorgeous. I went to San Gimignano, where there are medieval towers. As Gg said, San Pietro and the vatican must be seen! Don't forget a gondola ride!

I can't wait to go back!
Old 06-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:09 AM
I spent about a month there a couple of summers ago.

If you have time to venture out of Florence, do so. The area is amazing. Go to the Cinque Terre - definitely one of the highlights of Italy. Pisa was a nice day trip as well (you don't need more than a day there). And Siena is a must, just a gorgeous town that I loved.

I really liked Venice but it's quite small and you can see the whole town in a couple of full days, another day if you want to go to some of the islands nearby.

Rome is fabulous, way better than Paris in my eyes. Do all the usual tourist stuff. When you go to the Coliseum and the Forum, buy your tickets at the Palatine Hill (you'll see it on the map). There is absolutely no wait there and when you get to the Coliseum you'll bypass the loooooong lines. Also go to the Catacombs (San Calisto and San Sebastian) - I think a lot of people miss these but they're absolutely cool and if you walk around the area you'll feel like you're in the Italian countryside, not in the middle of Rome. You can also go for a day trip out to Pompeii, which I think is worth seeing.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Lucky you!! Go have a fabulous time and post tons of pictures of your adventures and the awesome sights you will see!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Florence is my favorite city in the world It's absolutely beautiful. Just take your time walking around and enjoying the scenery and the amazing history there. Go see the golden doors and the Duomo. The Ufizi is amazing but the line can be very long and if you enjoy art you will probably want a day there. The Academia (I think that's what it's called?) is where David is, I just walked in, saw him and left. Dante's grave is cool too but it's not a must-see.

Venice...it's beautiful and everything but I could have left after 2 days. It's fun to explore and walk through all the little alleyways and stuff. Definitely feed the pigeons in that square (St. Marks square?) if you aren't afraid of being pooped on! And inside that big church in the square it's absolutely beautiful and you can go up to the top too. When I was in Venice I also went to Murano and watched people blow glass and stuff, it was interesting. And I'm not really sure where it is but I stumbled upon a place where Mozart lived in Venice which was pretty cool. There's a little plaque in front of the building that tells you all about it.

But really, I'd spend time in the area and little towns around Florence. All those places where they grow olives and grapes and make wine or whatever they grow are sooo pretty! And the sunflowers

Some pics I took
Venice:

Florence:

Have a great time!!! You're in for the trip of your life
Old 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 04:09 PM
I went in July and we decided to stay more days in Florence than in Rome. BIG mistake. It was so boring in Florence we had nothing to do. Too many tourists. Heard English more often than Italian. Churches got boring really fast. Venice and Rome in my opinion are more fun than Florence. There's so much more to do. Rome's so multilayered: the old, the religion, the art, etc. Venice is mysterious, and you get lost but have so much fun around the labrynths of streets. Florence is just a bunch of churches. Boring. Maybe because I'm an art freak but not a religious person.

Make sure to check about construction/ restoration going on. In Rome EVERY single thing we went to see had scaffolding around it except The Vatican. Major bummer.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Are you travelling by train or driving yourself (brave if you are ) Try to get out of the big cities if you can and see some of the countryside (and a lot of it is accessible by train).

When you're in Venezia, stop by Padua or Verona, lots of history to see. If you're going to Firenze, stop by Bologna, equally lots and lots of history and nowhere like the number of tourists in Firenze.

Also stay out of the Maccas etc and eat like the locals, you'll never have such good food again rooling just remembering:

Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Oh you lucky thing! I was in Venice last October and can't wait to go back as soon as possible. Like others have already said, Venice is rather small and the only thing you "need" to do there is walk around and keep your eyes open. The great thing about Italy is that the country is a piece of art in itself so my only advice is to literally keep your eyes and ears open. Have a great time, I'm sure you'll love Italy!

EDIT. I can't help myself - a couple of pics I took!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Italia

If you have time, I recommend heading down south to explore the Amalfi coast also. Sooooooooo beautiful.

Oh, and Ava79's photo's are just beautiful
Old 06-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fille Friday View Post
I went in July and we decided to stay more days in Florence than in Rome. BIG mistake. It was so boring in Florence we had nothing to do. Too many tourists. Heard English more often than Italian. Churches got boring really fast. Venice and Rome in my opinion are more fun than Florence. There's so much more to do. Rome's so multilayered: the old, the religion, the art, etc. Venice is mysterious, and you get lost but have so much fun around the labrynths of streets. Florence is just a bunch of churches. Boring. Maybe because I'm an art freak but not a religious person.

Make sure to check about construction/ restoration going on. In Rome EVERY single thing we went to see had scaffolding around it except The Vatican. Major bummer.
Wait, you're an art freak and you didn't want to be in Florence? Are the galleries less impressive there than I imagine them to be?

Surely it's just cool being in Florence, what with the history and all.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I spent about a month there a couple of summers ago.

If you have time to venture out of Florence, do so. The area is amazing. Go to the Cinque Terre - definitely one of the highlights of Italy.
imo cinque terre is the nicest area in italy! and it's not that far away from florence, siena and all the other beautiful towns...actually I'm thinking of visting florence again when I'm in cinque terre in a few weeks!

Tags
italy