Going back to U2's infulences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
I was just investigating some of the bands that I've read have influenced U2. Went out and bought Television's album Marquee Moon from 1977 and it's FANTASTIC :D Just very cool, chimey, un-bluesy, melodic guitar rock. Wait, that sounds familliar :O :D

Seriously, I have "Venus" in a playlist right next to "Into The Heart" and it's the same kinda musical sound, really enjoying getting into Television.

Also picked up "Crocodiles" from Echo & The Bunnymen, which is less immediate to get into than Television, but it's still interesting to listen to.

How about you guys, any fans out there of the late 70s alt rock / punk stuff?

Well, allmusic.com give bands that influenced u2. They give these names: Joy division, the who,the velvet underground, television, the sex pistols, clash, david bowie and thin lizzy.

I think the clash is great and have some great songs. I also listen to the who. The others I don't know the music. I have transformer from lou reed, wasn't that the frontman of TVU?

Maybe I should take a listen to that album from television.

Yeah give Marquee Moon from Television a try, you'll swear it's the Edge,. hehe.

I've always been a big Bowie fan and am just now getting into Lou Reed. Transformer is great.

EDIT: If you're after classic classic rock, just pick up "Jailbreak" from Thin Lizzy.

Last edited:
I bought Marquee Moon about 2 months ago, precisely because Edge said Tom Verlaine was a huge influence on his playing. The first few times I heard the album I was a bit puzzled, because it doesn't sound as much as early U2 as I expected it to be. But upon closer listening to Tom Verlaine's guitar playing, I got it. He also doesn't play regular chords, but seems to be playing seperate notes as the melody. Exactly the thing The Edge was doing (and is often still doing now).

And Pop-Romancer, Lou Reed was indeed the frontman of The Velvet Underground. Check out their first album, The Velvet Underground & Nico as it is a classic. Songs like Waiting For The Man, Venus In Furs, Heroin, All Tomorrow's Parties are genuine classics. As for Lou Reed, definately check out his albums Berlin, New York and Magic And Loss and try to find a good best of of his middle period (one that includes the songs Street Hassle, Sweet Jane (live), The Blue Mask and The Bells)

:)

I've always been curious about bands that influenced U2 like Joy Division and Echo... Never got any albums though. Came very close to getting Bowie's Low.

The most influential band in U2's catalogue (that is, the band you can hear the most of in U2's stuff) is clearly The Velvet Underground.

But here are the big ones I can presently think of, though several have been mentioned...

The Velvets: The Velvet Underground & Nico
White Light/White Heat (easily their best album and probably, in retrospect, the most influential album recorded post-1965)
The Velvet Undergroun
Loaded

Lou Reed: Transformer
Rock and Roll Animal

Television: Marquee Moon (amazing album)

The Who: Probably everything...even if I hate it.

The Beatles: Again...everything, really.

Bowie: Station to Station
Low
Heroes

Low and Heroes are just amazing albums. If you're a first time Bowie fan, though, listen through

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust;
Hunky Dory

before you attempt Low or Heroes, or you might be turned off.

...And I somehow almost forgot about the Eno shit.

Roxy Music: Anything recorded with Eno (aka, not the just-Bryan-Ferry shit)

Eno: Another Green World
Here Come The Warm Jets

Zootlesque said:
I've always been curious about bands that influenced U2 like Joy Division and Echo... Never got any albums though. Came very close to getting Bowie's Low.

Joy Division and Echo formed after U2, correct me if I'm wrong though:wink:

Television are seriously great though, Verlaine = Great guitarist:drool:

yertle-the-turtle said:
I'm a huge fan of the Clash, but I think you know them already. Or if you don't, go out and buy 'London Calling' immediately.

what yertle said. although don't stop at london calling. they only had a few albums, go get them all. now.

We also shouldn't let Patti Smith go unmentioned. She may not have inspired the band's sound, but I remember Bono saying she was a huge influence on him as a vocalist and writer. She really broke all the rules. Michael Stipe was also vocal about being indebted to her as well.

I'd start with Horses, although Easter and Radio Free Ethiopia are great as well.

Zootlesque said:

do yourself a big favour, buy it!!!

IWasBored said:

what yertle said. although don't stop at london calling. they only had a few albums, go get them all. now.

Except for Cut the Crap. Just download "This is England."

Oh, and be sure to get some sort of compilation to go along with the UK version of the self-titled debut, otherwise you miss out on four great tracks.

Back
Top Bottom