Going back to school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it's a hard adjustment, but if it's something you know you want to do, it's well worth it. I didn't work at all during the time. I did a little internship type thing, in a related field during a minimal-classes term.

I'd go to school forever, so I don't know that I'm the right person to give advice - slightly biased - but I loved it. It's definitely an adjustment, but as long as you can mentally put yourself back in student mode, and realize you are doing something that will eventually put you where you want to be, then I think it's great. :)

Don't know if that helped at all...

The worst part was lack of funds. I was unsuccessful at changing my spending to reflect my new economic reality. I had become accustomed to being able to spend a set amount. Once I became spoiled, it was hard to not be.

The result: Massive credit card debt that took about 5 years to wipe out. 2 years of college vs 5 years of debt.

Tips should be monetary, they will do better than our advice :laugh:
Good luck, it can be a great investment, but it isn't without it's sacrifices.

Edit: I should add that Pop and PopMart helped to devastate my spending. It was worth it though :p
Maybe you should wait until after the tour :wink:

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I have a question for those who have gone back to school after leaving a full-time job.

Was it hard to go back into full student mode?

Are you working at all?

Any tips would help.

As someone who is just about to graduate from college after years of being in the workforce, I believe I am very well-qualified to answer your questions.

Was it hard to go back into full student mode?

Yes, going back to school is a huge life change. Just like getting married or having a child, going to college can make your life change in ways you won't believe. Some are good. As an older student, you offer so much to the classroom with your life and work experience. You will accomplish things you never thought possible. If you would have told me I would have become the editor-in-chief of a college newspaper, I would have told you you were nuts, but it happened.

Other good things, you will discover a whole new world of ideas, opinions, and people. You will gain confidence and you will realize that you matter in the world.

As for the bad, well money is an issue. I'm up to my eyeballs in student loans. Plus, you have to shell out money for books and supplies. Don't be surprised if you have to cut certain goodies out of your life. I stopped going to a high-end salon and now get my hair cut at SuperCuts.

Time is also a issue. Don't be surprised to spend more time on homework and class projects than you expect. Your social life may take a beating. It's been a while since I've been on a date. But after I graduate, watch out! My goofball friends are taking bets on how long it takes me to go from celibate student to horny slut. Snerk.

I have worked mostly full time during my entire college life. Right now I'm doing an internship, but I've mostly done temp work because it fits into my schedule. I was able to do this because my college has a very intense week-end college program. I also took some night classes.

Other tips I can give you. Try to find a college that has a lot of non-traditional college students. Try to get involved with activities as much as possible. Buy your books used and get a back pack on wheels. Your back will thank you. Don't be afraid to ask for help whether it's from faculty, staff, fellow students, your family, your friends, etc.

And listen to lots of U2. I know those boys really helped me get through college.

Any more questions? Don't hesitate to e-mail me at golightlygrrl@yahoo.com

Good luck!

thanks for that information. I have one year left in my degree if I go full time. The university I will be attending is a non-traditional campus and I have attended classes there as a part-time student for a while. I am just now shifting gears and going to go back full-time. I am looking forward to it. :D

i was about to go back to school but then i got offered a new job in a new line of work...now i should get paid pretty good without having to go into debt. :sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom