Goin' to Edinburgh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Ewen and Susan for all your info....and everyone else's input also! I'm going on a tour in Oct. to Ireland,Scotland, Wales and Britain and included is a stop in Edinburgh. I'm just beginning to research and brush up on my lit and history! I definitely would love to do the ghost tour, check out some pubs, check out the Royal Mile, shop, as well as visit churches, castles, and I'd LOVE :heart: :heart: to tour the Brittania, if that tour were available! I can't wait!

Carek1230 said:
...I'm going on a tour in Oct. to Ireland,Scotland, Wales and Britain and included is a stop in Edinburgh.

Hmm, I'll take an educated guess in assuming that you meant "...and the rest of Britain."

enjoy

check out my MySpace page (click my www button below) for a 'Dummies' guide to the UK

I am preparing for the weather. We're booking the trip next weekend. Need to come up with the $300 deposit. Thanks for your comments guys!

(Ewen, "Britain" means London...):wink:

Yeah, its pretty simpler, all Southerners live in london or say they do, all Northers discribe where they live as X miles away from Manchester (the more being better) and Scots are not northerners.

susanp6 said:
Carek - why are you refering to London as Britain? :confused:

I think it was just a reference to the way some Americans tend to regard London as the only place in the UK.

I remember reading online about this New Yorker who was staying with her English boyfriend in York during July 2005. When the London bombings happened she got lots of concerned phone calls from relatives in the States asking her if she was OK!

I can sort of understand this attitude (even if I do find it frustrating). I mean to Americans (or indeed many nationalities) the UK must seem tiny, only a third the size of Texas. Yet it has 60 million people crammed onto it, nearly 30 million in the south-east corner of England alone (this really has nothing to do with Americans and London. I just find that incredible to think about. Just like I find Japan's similiar situation also mind blowing. I think I need to get out more...)

Ah i see, you're talking about that whole thing of Americans getting the idea that everyone lives in London :tsk: this has always really bugged me, and i know this might end up sounding offensive but there are lots of places in this country outside of London folks and it always did hack me off when Americans seem to think there's no places outside of London! I know that comparing Britain to the states makes us seem really small but when you're from here you don't see the place as small; i just think it is still a pretty big place, in my mind it is, and as i haven't been to the US, i just don't have any other way of looking at this country i love&hold so dear :love: :heart:

But if that's what it is, the way Q1 explained it well, of course that's understandable that we seem so small, i can see that to someone who lives where the places are enormous, Britain is tiny but hey - size isn't always the most important thing :giggle:

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, and since it was your comment this all stemmed from Carek, i'm hoping you don't mis-understand me here&what i'm saying here but since coming on Interference, i've learned a lot about America&i've found that the majority of Americans i've spoken to on this site are intelligent, funny&lovely people and that includes you :yes: :hug:

I hope you enjoy all of Britain Carek, and in particular for me, Scotland (Is that a tight schedule you're travelling on, btw?:wink: )

Faux Paux on my behalf, folks, and my apologies. It is indeed a tour we are going on and it is called Landscapes of Britain and Ireland. We will be visiting Ireland, Wales, Scotland and we end up in London. I'd love to see more of the UK, I am well aware of its size. We do spend a day and overnight in Chester and the same amount of time exploring England's Lake District (between Wales and Scotland. So there you have it.

I would be happy to share my schedule with you, Susan, and will PM once we finalize the booking next weekend with the Tour company. It would be wonderful to meet any fellow U2 fans or Interferencers along our route!

So I speak only for myself, not for all Americans. I have 9 months to research and study the places I will see and experience. I've never gone on a trip without being prepared, so I will not be one of those ignorant tourists:wink:

Carek1230 said:
Faux Paux on my behalf, folks, and my apologies. It is indeed a tour we are going on and it is called Landscapes of Britain and Ireland. We will be visiting Ireland, Wales, Scotland and we end up in London. I'd love to see more of the UK, I am well aware of its size. We do spend a day and overnight in Chester and the same amount of time exploring England's Lake District (between Wales and Scotland. So there you have it.

I would be happy to share my schedule with you, Susan, and will PM once we finalize the booking next weekend with the Tour company. It would be wonderful to meet any fellow U2 fans or Interferencers along our route!

So I speak only for myself, not for all Americans. I have 9 months to research and study the places I will see and experience. I've never gone on a trip without being prepared, so I will not be one of those ignorant tourists:wink:

I'm glad to hear that you have a good knowledge of our country Carek :wink: :up: that's cool!

It sounds like a pretty decent tour, but no Glasgow :( i've noticed that a lot of these tours do tend to focus on Edinburgh more though so i do fully understand that is how they plan them a lot of the time!

It'd be great of you to let me know of your schedule, Carek but the problem is i can't recieve PM's :sad: but i may get premium membership at some point, either that or you could always email me nearer the time and see if it's poss to perhaps have a short meet up for a drink somewhere in Edinburgh as it's easy for me to come through there! :wink: ah we shall see closer to the time if&when it can happen! :yes:

Oh and btw, just thought i'd tell you, there's a zoo in Chester! :lol:

chelleu2 said:
All us Scots are pretty friendly!

You got that right! That's one of the things that I really loved about Edinburgh. Whenever Drew and I looked the slightest bit confused or were standing on the street looking at a map, a friendly local would come over and ask if we needed help and would give us directions.

I really love London (and I mean the city :sexywink: ) and during our trip, this was the second time I have visited there, but it's cold. People couldn't give a fuck if they ran you down on the street. Edinburgh had more of that small town charm and feel, and that came out of every person that we spoke to. I can't wait to come back someday, and get too see more of Scotland as well. So beautiful!

~LadyLemon~ said:

I really love London (and I mean the city :sexywink: ) and during our trip, this was the second time I have visited there, but it's cold. People couldn't give a fuck if they ran you down on the street. Edinburgh had more of that small town charm and feel, and that came out of every person that we spoke to. I can't wait to come back someday, and get too see more of Scotland as well. So beautiful!

That's exactly what my friend who's at uni there says about Edinburgh too- that it has everything that you'd expect of a big city (big shops, big cinemas, big everything) but it has the feel of small place which she thinks is great. :up:

As far as London goes it does have a bit(!) of a reputation in the UK for being unfriendly but perhaps that's to be expected in a city its size? :hmm:

~LadyLemon~ said:

You got that right! That's one of the things that I really loved about Edinburgh. Whenever Drew and I looked the slightest bit confused or were standing on the street looking at a map, a friendly local would come over and ask if we needed help and would give us directions.

Scotland must be the friendliest place on earth i reckon Lady Lemon :yes: :heart: and the most beautiful too i'd say, but i'm biased! :wink:

I've been to London arounbd 10 times, and people do always do seem in such a rush in London, but as Q1 said i think it maybe is due to it being so huge but what i thinbk too is that people are wary of strangers 'cos you never know what people's motives are maybe with it being the capital, esp after the bombings&things like that - you know, we can't trust strangers so we'll keep to ourselves? That's my theory but having said that i have come across some friendly Londoners and especially Cockneys! :D

There was also a very nice taxi driver once who drove me to where i had to go even though i'd told him i didn'thave the full fare (I was down there when i was 15&ready to come home skint after a Duran Duran concert! :love: ) but he agreed to take me back to the hotel and then he actually gave me the money back 'cos i said i didn't have enough for getting a cup of tea!

It sounds unheard of for a taxi driver in London doesn't it?? :ohmy:

Last edited:
Susan that was really nice of the cab drive. :yes: I always get cab drivers in London who seem to think ihave no idea where im going and think its a great idea to rip me off, until ipoint out theyre going the long way. :p :lmao:

susanp6 said:

I'm glad to hear that you have a good knowledge of our country Carek :wink: :up: that's cool!

It sounds like a pretty decent tour, but no Glasgow :( i've noticed that a lot of these tours do tend to focus on Edinburgh more though so i do fully understand that is how they plan them a lot of the time!

It'd be great of you to let me know of your schedule, Carek but the problem is i can't recieve PM's :sad: but i may get premium membership at some point, either that or you could always email me nearer the time and see if it's poss to perhaps have a short meet up for a drink somewhere in Edinburgh as it's easy for me to come through there! :wink: ah we shall see closer to the time if&when it can happen! :yes:

Oh and btw, just thought i'd tell you, there's a zoo in Chester! :lol:

:applaud: That would be excellent! I would LOVE to meet up with you Susan, if for only a drink or quick meal. These tours don't leave us a lot of free time but I want to see as much and meet as many people as possible. Ha! I can sleep when I get back home! I will be in touch before the trip of course....and we can email, no problem there, or let me know when you become premium :up: If I've not been around here for a few days you can usually check with TinyDancer as we are in touch often.

A zoo in Chester? Really? :lol:

It was nice of the cab driver, wasn't it Jem! :yes:

Carek! :hyper: that will be good! I know how tight these tours are but hey! We can meet for a couple of hours - it would be fun :wink: i know of a few places oh and btw, you can go on Brittania :up: i've been meaning to go on it myself actually for so long!!! :yes: :tsk: :lol: i'm only 2 hours away from getting on it! :ohmy:

:hyper: that would be great Carek!!! :yes:
Brittania it is then :D :heart: it will prob be a bit chilly then but oh well, it will still be fantastic to go on it whattever the weather but being all wrapped up :up:

We are going in the fall to England, Wales and Scotland...with I think, two nights in Edinburgh...thanks for all the tips!!!

Back
Top Bottom