Godspeed YOU!!!!!! black emperor side projects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gickies Gageeze

Purgatory
fly pan am, comes to mind. i know there are a few of them, i was wondering if any of you are familiar with their work?

im interested, but i know very little. any help on the matter would be appreciated.

LOL, its ok angel.

its a band called godspeed you black emperor, and they make cool music together. obviously, why else would i be interested in their side projects?

theyre a more intense version of our good friends Igor and Ross, without the singing and a bit more guitar.

quite prog, and their last album was also quite predictable too. their own mega fans agree.

so anyone here heard of fly pan am?

Ive heard of fly pan am, havent heard them though, I have an opp to see GY!BE the night after a Sigur Ros show I am attending, I may be on overload........

:up:

The Silver Mt. Zion is the other big Godspeed side project. I've listened to their album, Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upwards, a few times as background music. It's not nearly as intense as your typical Godspeed album, but it's still very beautiful music. The Silver Mt. Zion use more strings and horns, whereas Godspeed will beat you to death with their screwdriver guitars and drums. There is even some singing on this album! The songs average around 7 minutes instead of 20, but that doesn't really matter on this album because one song flows into the next.

Has anyone else seen Godspeed live? I'm pumped about seeing them this Thursday.

I have heard Godspeed live and man I walked out of that concert numb. Man I have have never been so blown away by anything else in my life. They blew out all of my senses to the point wher I had nothing left despite the fact that the sound sucked in the place they were playing (some small theatre in Toronto two years ago this past fall, the Bloor street theatre I think). I definitely recommend hearing htem live. A friend of mine who;s into non-mainstram music got me into them and took me with him to the show. Sleep off of disc two of"lift yr. skiny fists like antennas to heaven" is one of my favourite peices of music ever with Storm off of disc one comes close. The peak of Sleep is like an epiphany very time. Glad some other people know who they are.

yes, theyre good ol canadian boys who make good ol generic rock for us old boys...:wink:

i want to see them.

A Silver Mt Zion, not The Silver Mt Zion, so look under 'A' at the stores. Love the He Has Left Us... (some insanely long title) album, very very moving. (lyrics on the only sung song aren't good, though, I thought).

foray

I've been meaning to pick up one of GYBE's albums...but everytime I'm at the cd store I forget.

Recommend me an album to get started, will ya? :)

Diemen said:
I've been meaning to pick up one of GYBE's albums...but everytime I'm at the cd store I forget.

Recommend me an album to get started, will ya? :)

Lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven......:up:

The best records from each band in that Constellation crowd is as follows:

:godspeed you black emperor - lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven (definitely their best album)
:a silver mt. zion - he has left us alone but sometimes shards of light grace the corners of our rooms (mostly just piano and violin... i prefer this to godspeed)
:do make say think - & yet & yet (think a jazzier, more pop-style songwriting godspeed)

I just got Raise Your Skinny Fists today. I like it. I think I have to listen to it more, but there are definitely some very cool moments throughout the disc. It's a good marriage of rock and classical instruments. My one complaint is it seems a bit pretentious though. The liner notes in particular. But luckily just when I get to thinking "ok, this music needs to start going somewhere soon" it does go somewhere interesting.

theyre beyond pretentious, i dont like them as people from what ive heard, but i like their music. and ultimately, that is what this is about. :wink:

Just found out that Black Dice is opening for GY!BE....now i have to get tickets......

Black Dice Tour with Godspeed You! Black Emperor
In-store at Cyberdungeon Gaming cancelled due to scheduling conflict with Warhammer 40k workshop
Rob Mackey reports:
Experimental noise-rockers Black Dice are hitching a March-long ride across North America on the ever-so-artsy coattails of post-rock icons Godspeed You! Black Emperor. That's right, you cigarette-rolling sycophants, it's time to let the pretense flow like wine and bust out your Red Drum and black-and-white film, because thesuperscenester tour of the year is headed your way. But you best act quickly, 'cause The Dice will only be a part of the magic for a limited time. The jaunt, which got underway on Sunday, and saw the Dice joining the caravan in Philly on Monday night, will wind its way through the Eastern half of the nation and an anorexic bit of Canada, before showing the band a noisy farewell on the stage of the Bowery Ballroom in New York City on April 2nd. Remaining tourdates:
03-06 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
03-07 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel
03-08 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
03-21 Chicago, IL - Abbey Pub
03-22 Chicago, IL - Abbey Pub
03-24 Newport, KY - Southgate House
03-25 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom
03-26 Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
03-27 Toronto, ON - Palais Royale
03-28 Toronto, ON - Palais Royale
03-29 Hamilton, ON - Tivoli
03-31 Pittsburgh, PA - Carnegie Mellon University
04-01 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom
04-02 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroo

Gickies Gageeze said:
go get me a bootleg of the show, old boy.

thats a novel idea ole chap, maybe i should bring my little tape recoreder that I usually use to speak words of wisdom into and hold it up in the crowd, would that be suitable you black emperor?

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom