Godspeed You! Black Emperor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
By no means are they new, and I know that many on this board are quite into what they have to offer... one of their more notable side-projects being Silver Mount Zion. I thoroughly enjoy the band for their relentless symphonic compositions, ranging from building violins and guitars to ambient, diffuse sounds.

Instrumentals are Godspeed's strong suit, so they definitely do not cater to the 3-minute short and sweet tastes. But if you're looking for achingly sweet pieces (usually comprised of multiple songs), I think you'll dig their material. My favourites of the moment:

9-15-00 (Yanqui U.X.O)
Rockets Fall on Rocket Falls (Yanqui U.X.O)
Storm (Lift yr. skinny fists like Antennas to Heaven!)
Sleep (Lift yr. skinny fists like Antennas to Heaven!)

Unfortunately, they're on a bit of a hiatus at the moment, but their music can be found in different bands out there. The Album Leaf creates similar melodies, but they are more on the emotional side, rather than on the subversive political pedestal.

Anyone else a fan of Godspeed or their contemporaries?

For the life of me, I cannot find 'Skinny Fists' at any freaking stores. I still have none of their albums, and I'm waiting for that one to be my first.

Contemporaries? If Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, and Slint are contemporaries, I am in love with all. :up: Of course, I suppose Slint would be the proud (or oblivious, from their recent interviews) fathers of said genre, not contemporaries.

Last edited:
It's sad for me to see this thread drop down to the bottom of this page... underneath the sludge of arbitrary polls, middle school calibre homeroom notes, relentlessly annoying lists, and repetitive hype banter. If no one wants to reply, that's just fine. But why all the replies elsewhere?

Let's hear more about different bands and artists instead of the consistent slightly varied discussions on the same bands. This is not an issue of taste. It's an issue of variety and interest.

I challenge everyone to write some threads on topics that aren't the hot buzz on entertainment tonight.

As much as I love John Tesh.

:sexywink:

cujo said:
It's sad for me to see this thread drop down to the bottom of this page... underneath the sludge of arbitrary polls, middle school calibre homeroom notes, relentlessly annoying lists, and repetitive hype banter. If no one wants to reply, that's just fine. But why all the replies elsewhere?

Let's hear more about different bands and artists instead of the consistent slightly varied discussions on the same bands. This is not an issue of taste. It's an issue of variety and interest.

I challenge everyone to write some threads on topics that aren't the hot buzz on entertainment tonight.

As much as I love John Tesh.

:sexywink:

Greatest post ever? Possibly. :up:

Since we were talking about post rock here, check out this rad Sigur Ros performance video:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/erx/sigurros/njosnavelin-kilborn.wmv

excellent thread all around.

i have a gy!be t-shirt...are you 7ealous? :sexywink:

i like them, but their overtly-political message is pathetic. i feel embarassed for their families.

if i can look past that, then yes, their music is great.

and i LOVE explosions in the sky. i definitely recommend downloading 'greet death'.

Zoomerang96 said:

and i LOVE explosions in the sky. i definitely recommend downloading 'greet death'.

:yes: I don't know much about GY!BE, but I have two EITS albums, and I love them

They have sets on archive.org as well, along with some tracks on Epitonic.com.

I used one of their songs for one of my short films. One of my best sequences ever.

Melon

Incredibly good response.

:up:

Explosions In The Sky sound quite pleasing... as does The Mercury Program (a little band I saw while browsing In Sound). Thanks for posting the bootlegs EP.

And I'm always 7ealous of people with t-shirts.

They're so much more clothed than me.

I'm not sure if I'd classify Slowdive as post-rock though. I'd definitely say they're a "shoegazer" band". That being said, they're freaking awesome.

While we're at it, I'll recommend the bestest of the best shoegazer bands in my opinion:

My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive

i have f#a#(infinitywhateverthefuckitscalled) on my computer at work, i find it makes good at work music (along with aphex twin) i could also see it as being kick-ass music for a long drive. i like the cinematic aspect of the music, it's a lot like a soundtrack. its also cool how the music alone tells a story through its crescendos, lows, and mood shifts. not something i'd see myself listening to on a regular basis though, definitely needs to be in certain situations to work.

Because of this thread (and Cujo's letting me know where he found his copy), I finally found myself a copy of 'Skinny Fists' and purchased it. :up:

I've listened to the first track/movement, 'Storm'. Needless to say, it was awesome. :up:

u2popmofo said:
I'm not sure if I'd classify Slowdive as post-rock though. I'd definitely say they're a "shoegazer" band". That being said, they're freaking awesome.

While we're at it, I'll recommend the bestest of the best shoegazer bands in my opinion:

My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive

I want a shoegazer revival. I'm already bored with the 1980s revival we currently have.

It makes me wish I knew how to play musical instruments. :angry:

Melon

Back
Top Bottom